TW200 Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Sweet. I am going to do the same. I really like the idea of keeping the dark navy fender my bike came with, and saving a few bucks is always cool.

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Damn, Bro...your Ol' Lady is sure flat-chested!
A little homely, too.
Just sayin'...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
^^ LOL :laughing7:

Big update for Lil' Chunk! This little guy got himself a little facelift. Spent the last few days workin away, here's what happened...

So as mentioned in my last post, the new tank took some modifying to fit, here's a view of the bottom of the tank after modification:

I had to build a notch in the rear of the tank to clear the stock tank mount (I didn't want to chop it off for future reversibility...)

I also had to build new "C" shaped mounts on the front of the tank to work with the stock TW200 mount location:

Here's the new tank mount. Rubber isolator and the two "pegs" sticking out the bottom are to locate the seat pan:

With the new tank in place, I started designing and building a new seat pan, rear fender and rear rack setup. Here's a top/bottom view of the new seat pan. The slotted tab on the bottom locates on the "pegs" of the new tank mount to hold it in place:

Here's a top/bottom view of the rear fender. This prevents water from splashing everywhere and also houses the new tail light, side markers and license plate:

Here's the rear rack:

Then they all got a coat of flat black:

Also practiced some upholstery and sewed up this seat! It's simple and will likely be rebuilt with more foam and cleaner wrap job in the future but I'm happy with this one for now:

Next up was to finish the tank and seat pan. I cleaned the tank and got it down to clean bare metal:

I had a weird idea that I wanted to try. I applied a chemical solution which reacts with the bare steel and "blackens" it. I played around with dripping it on to achieve some variation in the finish, here's a pic after I applied the solution. Still some residue to wipe off but mostly clean:

Once I was happy with the finish, I applied a 2K high gloss clear coat which laid down nicely and really made the tank pop. I love how it turned out! Just something a little different.

And at last, everything installed!

Still some things to button up but this felt like a big milestone and I'm super happy with how it turned out! This was a lot of work and took longer than anticipated, for instance I built 3 separate seat pan and seat combo's before I landed on the final design. Also I wanted to keep the frame original and unmodified so that it could all be easily reversed back to stock in case anyone down the road has the desire to do so, which created a lot of challenges and head scratching as well. Lots of trial and error, but rewarding in the end. I'm just dying to ride this thing again already!

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Great work...mad fab skills! :eagerness:

·
Registered
264 Posts
Started mocking up my new fuel tank this evening. This is a 2.4 gallon universal tank from eBay, so slightly more fuel capacity than the stock 1.8 gallon TW200 tank. I actually really like the shape and detail of the tank and think it suits the bike nicely. It is requiring some pretty extensive modification to fit properly though which I will go over in more detail at a later time once it's all finished.

Also received a few parts in the mail which will be going on shortly. New sprocket set with x-ring chain (kept stock 14/50 gearing) and a Ricochet skid plate!

Rode for 3 full days last weekend in and around Yosemite with my good buddy Joel. Rode a ton of fire roads and some single track stuff. Hit a bunch of cool spots, it was super fun.

Joel was excited:

Yosemite Valley was insane! So much water. The Merced River was pumping and all the falls were going off. Really cool relaxing day riding around in the Valley and jumping in the freezing ass river:

Rode up to Signal Peak fire lookout which made for some awesome views:

Jealous. Looks like that was an awesome trip.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Welp, here's Lil' Chunk in his final form. I just listed the bike for sale yesterday as I'm ready for something bigger and more street oriented. My area just isn't great for dual sports unfortunately, at least it's not really the kind of scenery I want to ride through and explore. I wish I lived in the mountains.

I have done quite a lot since my last update. New sprockets (stock 14/50 gearing) and X-ring chain, Ricochet skid plate, new seals and gaskets throughout the bike, refinished the swingarm and replaced the chain slider and bushings, changed out the blue fork boots for black ones, valve adjustment, oil change, the list goes on...

The bike is fully dialed now and runs great. I absolutely love this little thing and had some really fun times on it. I see myself owning another one down the road, but for now I am on the hunt for a Yamaha XSR900 :)

Thanks for following along! Peace

·
Registered
76 Posts
Just discovered your thread. Loved the detail you provide and the excellent photos. Bike is a very nice custom. Not over the top, but different. Good luck with sale.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Wow thanks for the kind words guys!

CJ7Pilot - I don't have any good pics of the other side. I built a plastic cover for all the wiring that clips into the original side plastic mounts. Looks decent.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts