TW200 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Sweet. I am going to do the same. I really like the idea of keeping the dark navy fender my bike came with, and saving a few bucks is always cool.

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Damn, Bro...your Ol' Lady is sure flat-chested!
A little homely, too.
Just sayin'...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
^^ LOL :laughing7:

Big update for Lil' Chunk! This little guy got himself a little facelift. Spent the last few days workin away, here's what happened...

So as mentioned in my last post, the new tank took some modifying to fit, here's a view of the bottom of the tank after modification:

I had to build a notch in the rear of the tank to clear the stock tank mount (I didn't want to chop it off for future reversibility...)

I also had to build new "C" shaped mounts on the front of the tank to work with the stock TW200 mount location:

Here's the new tank mount. Rubber isolator and the two "pegs" sticking out the bottom are to locate the seat pan:

With the new tank in place, I started designing and building a new seat pan, rear fender and rear rack setup. Here's a top/bottom view of the new seat pan. The slotted tab on the bottom locates on the "pegs" of the new tank mount to hold it in place:

Here's a top/bottom view of the rear fender. This prevents water from splashing everywhere and also houses the new tail light, side markers and license plate:

Here's the rear rack:

Then they all got a coat of flat black:

Also practiced some upholstery and sewed up this seat! It's simple and will likely be rebuilt with more foam and cleaner wrap job in the future but I'm happy with this one for now:

Next up was to finish the tank and seat pan. I cleaned the tank and got it down to clean bare metal:

I had a weird idea that I wanted to try. I applied a chemical solution which reacts with the bare steel and "blackens" it. I played around with dripping it on to achieve some variation in the finish, here's a pic after I applied the solution. Still some residue to wipe off but mostly clean:

Once I was happy with the finish, I applied a 2K high gloss clear coat which laid down nicely and really made the tank pop. I love how it turned out! Just something a little different.

And at last, everything installed!

Still some things to button up but this felt like a big milestone and I'm super happy with how it turned out! This was a lot of work and took longer than anticipated, for instance I built 3 separate seat pan and seat combo's before I landed on the final design. Also I wanted to keep the frame original and unmodified so that it could all be easily reversed back to stock in case anyone down the road has the desire to do so, which created a lot of challenges and head scratching as well. Lots of trial and error, but rewarding in the end. I'm just dying to ride this thing again already!

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Great work...mad fab skills! :eagerness:

Reactions: Ken

·
Registered
194 Posts
Your bike reminds me of something Steve McQueen would have ridden (the actor, not the director). Seriously cool.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Started mocking up my new fuel tank this evening. This is a 2.4 gallon universal tank from eBay, so slightly more fuel capacity than the stock 1.8 gallon TW200 tank. I actually really like the shape and detail of the tank and think it suits the bike nicely. It is requiring some pretty extensive modification to fit properly though which I will go over in more detail at a later time once it's all finished.

Also received a few parts in the mail which will be going on shortly. New sprocket set with x-ring chain (kept stock 14/50 gearing) and a Ricochet skid plate!

Rode for 3 full days last weekend in and around Yosemite with my good buddy Joel. Rode a ton of fire roads and some single track stuff. Hit a bunch of cool spots, it was super fun.

Joel was excited:

Yosemite Valley was insane! So much water. The Merced River was pumping and all the falls were going off. Really cool relaxing day riding around in the Valley and jumping in the freezing ass river:

Rode up to Signal Peak fire lookout which made for some awesome views:

Jealous. Looks like that was an awesome trip.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Welp, here's Lil' Chunk in his final form. I just listed the bike for sale yesterday as I'm ready for something bigger and more street oriented. My area just isn't great for dual sports unfortunately, at least it's not really the kind of scenery I want to ride through and explore. I wish I lived in the mountains.

I have done quite a lot since my last update. New sprockets (stock 14/50 gearing) and X-ring chain, Ricochet skid plate, new seals and gaskets throughout the bike, refinished the swingarm and replaced the chain slider and bushings, changed out the blue fork boots for black ones, valve adjustment, oil change, the list goes on...

The bike is fully dialed now and runs great. I absolutely love this little thing and had some really fun times on it. I see myself owning another one down the road, but for now I am on the hunt for a Yamaha XSR900 :)

Thanks for following along! Peace

·
Registered
131 Posts
Just discovered your thread. Loved the detail you provide and the excellent photos. Bike is a very nice custom. Not over the top, but different. Good luck with sale.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Very cool build! I like how straight the backbone looks with the way you mounted the tank.

Any photos of the right side?

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
super fab work, and awesome finished bike.... you are a master

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Wow thanks for the kind words guys!

CJ7Pilot - I don't have any good pics of the other side. I built a plastic cover for all the wiring that clips into the original side plastic mounts. Looks decent.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wow thanks for the kind words guys!

CJ7Pilot - I don't have any good pics of the other side. I built a plastic cover for all the wiring that clips into the original side plastic mounts. Looks decent.
Man, this is pretty much the TW200 I've mocked up in my head. Looks so good!

My only concern was, is the seat as comfortable (if not more) than stock?

Was planning to build out something like this eventually using TW200 as the base, for long multiday trips.

Have you put it to the test for such situations?

And if it's not too crass to ask, would you be willing to share how much you sold this for? Would love to get a sense of whether it's worth it to seek a custom builder, or have a go at it myself.

Amazing build, and thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey everyone! My name is Mikey and I recently became the proud owner of a TW200. His name is Lil' Chunk.

I tend to write a lot, so prepare for that...

Quick backstory:
About 2-3 years ago one of my best friends, Joel, was pushing dual sports on me and got me interested in them. After doing some research of my own I discovered the TW200 and basically fell in love instantly, for numerous reasons. I had been riding on the street for years but had never ridden in the dirt before so I knew I had to start slow and work my way up. The idea of a small, low, lightweight and grippy bike really appealed to me since I am fairly short (5'8") and inexperienced. Also the simplicity/reliability/parts availability factor really had me sold.

As good friends often do, Joel shut down my excited aspirations immediately as he felt it wouldn't be a good option for me. He grew up riding dirt bikes and is very skilled at off road riding so he wasn't very convinced by my TW200 praises. I acknowledged my inexperience and trusted his input and advice so I decided to keep looking. I eventually found my heart set on finding a Suzuki DR-Z400 and it wasn't long before I bought one and got some good rides under my belt with Joel pushing me beyond my comfort level through the beautiful Sierra Nevada. I gained a lot of experience during those rides and enjoyed that bike thoroughly, but admittedly I always felt slightly uncomfortable on it since it was very tall for me through the more technical terrain. It just didn't feel like the right bike for me, at least not yet.

Anyways, after some time I eventually sold the DR-Z400 to fund other projects and went about 6 months before the itch to get another bike started creeping up on me. My buried TW200 dreams started resurfacing and before long I was browsing Craigslist. Options were scarce but I had two solid candidates near me and the first bike fell through (seller decided to keep it) so I resorted to Plan B.

Plan B was this 1990 Yamaha TW200 with 5,000 miles about 30 miles south of me. I was born in 1990, so this bike instantly struck a chord with me. I went and checked it out and everything looked good so I brought it home for $1,700:

I'll admit I appreciate aesthetics but I'm not really willing to sacrifice too much practicality in order to achieve it, so I'm always trying to find a happy medium. What follows is my attempt to sport the look that I'm after while maintaining the true performance/functionality of the bike. This is still a work in progress as I've only bought the bike a week ago from today, so keep that in mind. Here's how it sits today:

For the front end, I switched to high bars so that I could comfortably stand up while riding and ditched the stock headlight/fairing/turn signal setup in favor of a large round headlight and smaller turn signals, built the mounts for all of that. Also the bike was sporting a ProCycle High Mount Supermoto Fender kit (see first two pics) but I really didn't like the shape of the supermoto fender so I retrofitted the original fender to work with the high mount kit and then shortened and rounded off the front of the fender for looks:

For the rear, I removed the plastics/rack and built a little bracket to hold the tail light, turn signals and license plate right behind the seat (this whole setup is temporary):

Future plans:
I ordered a new universal 2.5 gallon tank off eBay which looks really cool and will hold more than the original tank, it was supposed to arrive today but didn't. Based off the pictures I should be able to make it work with the TW200 frame and from there I will build a custom seat and rear rack/fender/lighting setup behind that. I've been learning/practicing upholstery so the seat project will be fun. I do metal fabrication and wood work as livelihood/hobby as well so this is all fun for me, the instant gratification is nice compared to all my other long term projects. I'm such a millennial.

I serviced both front and rear drum brakes, adjusted the valves and cam chain tensioner, replaced spark plug and ordered a carb rebuild kit. Tires are pretty new and previous owner changed oil very recently. Definitely have some stuff on the maintenance to-do list but for now the bike runs great and I'm having a ton of fun with it, just feels nice to be on a bike again. I plan on taking it motocamping all over the Sierra's this summer and hope to go back to Moab one day soon with it (spent a few days in Moab on my DR-Z400 and had the time of my life). I'm just trying to have a bitchin summer, ya know?

Thanks for checking out my progress thus far and I'll be sure to keep this thread up to speed on new changes to my lovely Lil' Chunk!
Hey, I've been looking for a round headlight just like yours for my TW. Can I ask what brand and where did you find it? Thanks.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just stumbled across this now.
I'm late to the party but I just wanted to congratulate CubbyChowder on a job well done!
What a great custom!

21 - 40 of 44 Posts