• Yes, you deserve it

Votes: 12 85.7%
  • You only sort of deserve it, but take it anyway

Votes: 2 14.3%
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,387 Posts
I'm tremendously thankful for that but I feel better than I have felt in 40+ years, you and everyone else here should know me by now. I'm more motivated than ever right now, with full knowing of what I should do now. I will go try again to get a little sleep in a few minutes. But I can't just sit here resting, it's not me and impossible to do.

Reactions: Smitty Blackstone

·
Super Moderator
18,387 Posts
I will go in a couple minutes and try to sleep, just because I should. But I've got lots to do.

·
Super Moderator
18,387 Posts
:LOL: Purple I saw you had a vote thing above, I didn't see an option to say no you take the money back, so I clicked on the 2nd option just to see what the votes were I was 2 of the 2 who voted as such. My son Michael went to the site last night, he does that once in a while believe it or not. I got a message from him saying get the battery!! That was all he said.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Even your son pinged you all the way from Colorado. Is it gonna take a cattle prod get you to the battery shelves?

There is a very simple solution you know. Don't trade it in, pay the core charge and the old battery remains yours as a "Keepsake" for goodness of posterity. Hook an LED bulb to the old battery with a switch and every time you walk past it flip the switch on and off and giggle. Put a top up charge to it every week or so and let's see this thing through to fruition!

Marty

·
Super Moderator
18,387 Posts
Even your son pinged you all the way from Colorado. Is it gonna take a cattle prod get you to the battery shelves?

There is a very simple solution you know. Don't trade it in, pay the core charge and the old battery remains yours as a "Keepsake" for goodness of posterity. Hook an LED bulb to the old battery with a switch and every time you walk past it flip the switch on and off and giggle. Put a top up charge to it every week or so and let's see this thing through to fruition!

Marty
I'm a CheapA** (frugal Gentleman) I can live on almost nothing. If it will crank over just one more time, I don't want to waste it. But don't want to get stranded either, and Purple won't take the $ back, he's almost as bullheaded and stubborn as I am. (notice I said almost) Good caring loving man though that Purple is... so I imagine I will get down there sooner or later. The van gave Grumpy old Gary no problems yesterday when I loaned it too him. He still came home real upset, raging, hating the whole world and mad though, lost his brand new latest edition $150.00 Kindle tablet somewhere, and THEN you should have heard him Roar at me and Rage at the whole world when I told him I had a few months ago, pre-ordered that same Kindle for 50 bucks, but then figured I could probably get along with the 10 year old one after all, and decided to cancel it later to save the 50 bucks. (If I had it, I would have just given it to him yesterday) He vented like Fire, I could see the clouds melting thousands of feet above me... My glasses started smoking and melting, even my mustache singed right off. I've been tempted to show him the post I did about him on the Veterans day thread, and tough as I am, almost don't dare, He would unleash demons from Hell over that one, but notice I did say... (almost) 😁

·
Super Moderator
18,387 Posts
I like the story about slipping a 5 between 2 1's. However, there are some folks I don't want to test. My grand sons for example. I don't want to tempt them. They remain good boys until I do Satin's job, which is tempting another person to sin. No thank you!
I only use that trick when I am sure it's a set up and I am going to get burned sooner or later. It just helps filter through them fast. Yeah, a kid, no don't do that.

·
Super Moderator
18,387 Posts
Smoke, we need you here bro, stick around and participate, please. It has always been so hard for me to be on the receiving side and I for years would say, no that's ok, you keep it, I'm fine. Then Gary the Grump one day said when I refused his gesture of thanks, chewed me up and down, like he does anyway, told me I was a Real A**hole. I learned something that day, I certainly did. I still fuss a little bit now and again though...when someone try's. But mostly I have learned to graciously accept it with thanks in my heart. Not many people thank me usually, I drive most folks crazy anyway!! haha Please stick around bro, we need you here, really.

love,

tommy

·
Super Moderator
18,387 Posts
Smoke, we need you here bro, stick around and participate, please. It has always been so hard for me to be on the receiving side and I for years would say, no that's ok, you keep it, I'm fine. Then Gary the Grump one day said when I refused his gesture of thanks, chewed me up and down, like he does anyway, told me I was a Real A**hole. I learned something that day, I certainly did. I still fuss a little bit now and again though...when someone try's. But mostly I have learned to graciously accept it with thanks in my heart. Not many people thank me usually, I drive most folks crazy anyway!! haha Please stick around bro, we need you here, really.

love,

tommy
Actually it was like this what Gary said: "Why you Mo Fu So Of A Bi Go Da Fu A***hole...That's what he really said. I am learning though, I am.

·
Super Moderator
18,387 Posts
13 Year old battery and it is a old beater 96 Plymouth van with 175,000+ miles.

And Purple dear friend and brother and valued moderator partner. I want to thank you once again publicly. Thank you for the way you handled the incident with me, you handled that so well knowing something was way wrong and so calmly it's amazing. I trust you so much, that you could have told me to stand in the middle of the highway, that I was superman and to stand in front of the first car coming and stop it and the way I felt that day, I would have trusted you enough to do it. Amazing how you handled that and calmed me down. Thank you Thank you Thank you You probably saved my life!!! I'm real grateful you were there in that moment. Who knows how that could have went. Really!!
I owe you big time. That would have been rough to have it happen to me alone. I was so out of it, I can only imagine what could have happened if you were not there.

Thank you very very much. You probably saved my life.

No one would want to wear one of my shirts, and yes I would try to give it, if needed. You would look like you were wearing one of "Omar the tent makers Tents"

I have taken off a pretty nice and warm coat once and gave to a cold alcoholic in the alley a block away on a blustery cold winters day a few years ago. I still wonder about that guy once in a while. Is he still alive, did he like that nice warm coat that I still think about once in a while. What happened to him, is he alive still or where is he now?

He told me after he had the coat on and I was starting to freeze. haha I was standing close to him talking face to face. He said Man, you have the most intense eyes. It feels like you can see deep inside and through me, I just laughed and thought. Indeed. Smiling.

Even a couple pairs of shoes over the years. But that's not much. One old pair and one pretty new pair. I hate to see someone suffer. be cold, hungry or anything. Been there done that myself at some point in life.

What really bothers me though is when I hear "Hey, Wow look at that guy, someone should help him"
Doesn't every one know, that's probably God himself telling you yourself to do it?? That saddens me, there are so many people out there that would be so grateful for just the tiniest bit of help. I'm not talking about the folks begging for change at the freeway or stop light. Those guys can make 100 bucks in 3 or 4 hours and will spend it on things they shouldn't probably be using in the first place.

I even told old Grumpy across the alley one time after watching these guys. Old Grumpy's name is really Gary. Gary we should think about doing that someday, do you know how much we could make in a month doing that? A thousand bucks? Maybe more? Match the 1200 we get on SSD each month? I did really mention it one time. Maybe we might have even considered it for a few seconds or a minute. We wouldn't have to go out and find old tattered worn out cloths, we're near that now. He really does look like that most of the time now. Me, maybe a little and only sometimes, but not that bad. I've just learned to be frugal because I have to, and I've got no woman in my life to impress. But I think we both thought about it for a second. Fortunately we both have a little pride and recognized it would not be honest or right to do, but with consistency several times a month, had we chosen to do it, could have living pretty darn good. Gary does have integrity and is pretty honest. He did make the mistake in burning me once though years ago. I forgave him, but usually for me, after that, I'm done with someone like that right then and there. I've learned a great old trick though, and every single time I try it, it works perfectly. Give the new so called new friend who wants to be in your life all the rope they need right away somehow. They will hang themselves soon enough and they do it every single time, every single time! This filters through them quickly and helps not to waste my valuable time, so I will hand them something like some cash or some thing valued and trust them with it, but mostly the cash works best. Hand them seemingly something like 3 bucks and tell them would they mind running over to the corner store real quick while I finish up this project, it's only a short block away and grabbing a soda for the 2 of us, but really I have slipped a 5 dollar bill in the middle and only acted like it was 3 singles. Every single time, so far, every single time they never mention I gave them too much accidently, they pocket the extra, come back with the cokes and never mention a word. This has probably worked 20 times over the years. Right away I know, this guy isn't worthy of my friendship, so bye bye. I may not say anything to them, but I'm just busy or whatever the next time they knock or want to come visit me. On a couple of occasions though, I have called them a liar and a thief to their face, chewed them out good and sent them a packin. Works every time, try it sometime. Yeah, I lose a couple bucks, but it could have been much more costly in the long run. This really works great, believe me.

Here's a great story...
One time as the oldest guy who ever took on a job like this at this particular place in downtown San Diego, I had to find a job, so my brother and I who was 17 years younger than I and (Young, Buff and in Great Shape and I who might have been nearing 40 or close to it and not in all that good of shape) hired on as "Pedicab" drivers. You've seen them, bike rider in front, hauling 2 or 3 folks in the back all along the boardwalk and along the San Diego Bay pointing out the sights? Yeah, those guys, but you gotta do what you gotta do, right? I had a family to provide for, John just wanted party money. Anyway this one day and there are panhandlers everywhere, I listened to this sob story this guy gave me, he was real good at it too, a true artist, and it touched my heartstrings and I handed him 5 bucks in quarters (my tip money) and it had been a slow day with me really trying hard to bring home hopefully at least a 20 or more after paying for or lets say renting the bike for the day which we as Contractors all had to do regardless if you made any money that day or not. It was slow and that might have been all I had that day so far, don't remember, but I gave him 5 bucks in quarters hoping it would help his so called bad bad situation. Then, an hour or so later, me going in the opposite direction still trying so hard to hustle up customers to ride in my cab, saw this guy standing there talking to some folks, I rode a bit close behind him just out of curiosity, and heard him pitching the same fricken line he had used on me. Sheeeeet!!! I stopped right there on the spot, told the folks he was a scammer, don't give him a penny, got off the bike pissed, gave him an ass chewing up and down like a sailor, made him pull out his pockets and give me back every single quarter on the spot right then and there, I was ready and able and wanted to really punched that guy a good one had he not immediately emptied his pockets, boy was I pissed.

One time (I hope you are enjoying this) In Salinas years ago in 1974 was it? Seattle Expo/Worlds Fair?? Myself and a buddy and a couple of nice church gals had drove up along the coast (some of you know how nice that drive is) but can take more time than you might have prepared for, finally reached Seattle hoping to evangelize and look for needy folks we could help. Well, before that, one night in Salinas, someone had come to the door, needing help, we had a sign out front of the house that I had welded on a steel plate writing by welding "The Philadelphia House" meaning house of brotherly love or something like that, if you needed help, knock on the door, we would at least try to feed someone if they really were desperate. We were young working guys sharing expenses and the house on the main drag going through town making a ok income, I remember I was a journeyman welder fabricator working outside of town at the ancient, now long gone Spreckels Sugar Company in Spreckels, Ca I still remember making $3.18 cents an hour and feeling like a millionaire. Baby Sister Sue now entering nursing thought that was just outrageous for just pushing a blowtorch. uh huh right, It was the highest paying job in town at the time.
Most interesting place I ever worked, I was on a team of emergency repairmen, only 4 or 5 of us with various skills and you had to be able to do them all if needed in an emergency.
Electrician, Plumber, Pipefitter, Welder, Fitter, helper, and even make anything they needed on the spot as a machinist shop lathe operator. You had better know how to work real fast, real hard, and real cool headed under the most extreme extreme conditions in the most horrible places twisting yourself into positions the body wasn't meant to be in, doing anything needed, as fast as you could to get the job done because when something broke down it was up to you and you alone and the whole plant had stopped and was at a standstill, every foreman and boss and plant manager there breathing down your back, screaming "Are you done yet?" Are you done yet?" The company lost thousands of dollars every minute of any breakdown and this place was long ago falling apart and breaking down all the time. Well, it was daily really. Most challenging, exciting fast paced job I ever had, I loved that job and had er ahh slightly lied and totally winged it when I got that job saying yeah, no problem, no problem I can do that, and I can do this, easy, real easy, piece of cake, I'm the man for the job and I'm ready to go to work right now this minute, do you want me or not or should I look elsewhere, tell me now or I'm out of here, I've got better things to do than wait for your decision, Yes or No? I got that job on the spot they were so impressed, started the next morning wondering "what have I done now?" "Can I handle this at all?" And being the new guy, of course those old timers really gave me a whole lot of crap until I had proved myself, then they just loved me to death, I wasn't just some young buck blowhard mouthing off after all. hahaha Ya gotta do what ya gotta do, right?

View attachment 209584
This was a huge huge place, can't even begin to describe it.
6 floors high, I think 25 feet at least each level.
View attachment 209585
Up and running with State Of The Art Technology in 1885 or something like that.
View attachment 209586
I know a couple of you have certainly seen this place, Couple
of miles outside Salinas on the river near the Monterey Highway.
View attachment 209587
This was bigger than I can even describe, and very very
dangerous when I worked there. Saw a couple guys die there,
3 actually, one guy got cut in half by the drunk train conductor.
1 fell off a scaffolding 100 feet up in the air, forgot to tie himself
off, slipped and landed 100 feet from where I was working,
Screamed all the way down and landed with a big thud.
3 guy walked into a handle that should have been taken off of
a beet slicing machine, that when running, you couldn't see,
instantly killing him, throwing parts of his body everywhere, sending blood and bits all the way to the roof at least 70 feet above. They couldn't clean it, they had to see that for years up there, me only a couple since God led me elsewhere.

View attachment 209588
Old Old worn out place by the time I arrived.
View attachment 209589
In the far distance is the overhead train trestle 125 feet in the air, an expansion bridge that was supposed to flex and adjust after they had picked up a very heavy load of lime rock and brought it into the plant to put it in the furnace, still being used, shaky, unstable, moving so much back and forth with the train moving almost falling off the track each time it was used and they paid the operator's extra just to do it, two dared. I went on it once just to see if it was really that bad, and it was, the wheels came within about an inch of not being on the track and the whole thing falling down into the rock pile 100+ feet below. It was bad, I couldn't wait for it to get back to where I could get off it, felt like it took a year. It scared me too. I'm pretty daring and a adrenaline junky, but get me off this piece of crap right flipping now. It had long ago rusted solid, no longer flexed at all and should have been torn down in 1920 or completely rebuilt. They milked that thing to death drove it as slow as it could possible go or it would fall off with the operator sweating profusely praying feverishly he'd live to go home that day, no body would work on it at all, dangerous, dangerous, dangerous then the new kid started working there, Me. I had already boasted my A** off saying I can do anything! OK, easy they must have thought, let's really see what this kid is made of (have to post out of room) finish later, much later after I go to bed in a few minutes
Continuing on... A short story first then below that where this one continues...I had told this Spreckels story before this here to you guys before.

I have always love cranes. I thought I would like to be a crane operator one day. Your videos are special to me. They bring back a couple memories. (this was in a thread to Hekkler who lives across the state from me)

I remember one time when I was building ship sections. We used to build them from the keel up, but learned from the Japanese about building them in large sections and then piecing them together. Big, very heavy sections, very challenging for a crane operator. Anyway, one day in New Orleans at Avondale Shipyards, I was helping assist the lead man to put a large very heavy part alongside one of the sections and tack it on. The lead man had been in a hurry and had not centered the lifting bracket and there was too much weight on one side. I was on the other side and immediately knew it was off center as soon as it began to rise into the air. I told him to stop and that it needed adjustment before we went any further. He blew me off, and signaled the crane operator to lift the section and went under the part to begin to prepare to tack it on as it rose into the air. I was suddenly holding 200 pounds at least, extra on my side down so that it would not crush him as he was under it. I had a split second decision to make right now. Well, I could not let go, even though he said it was fine, but I knew better, he was going to die if I let go and suddenly found myself rising into the air to protect him from getting hurt. I was 35 feet in the air, hanging on by one hand, signaling the crane operator with the crane hand signals with the other hand to stop and go down. Every one in the shop was aghast when they saw what was happening. As loud as a welding fabricating shop can be and that's real real loud, it was suddenly so quiet you could have heard a fly fart. All eyes were upon me, thinking that they were about to witness me die. By the Grace of God, everything turned out just fine and I was lowered to the ground and he was ok. May I mention that the very next day, I was called into the office and suddenly there was a new lead man in charge. Me. :D

Another time in Spreckels, California, just outside Salinas at the Spreckels Sugar Company, I was a young eager beaver trying to rise up within the ranks of the emergency crew which basically had to be able to do everything, since the factory ran 24 hours a day many months of the year. Any down time costs several thousands of dollars every minute, it was a very high pressure job, I really loved the challenge though. You had to be able to be a welder, pipefitter, mechanic, helper, machinist and more. That was one job I bluffed my way into, walking in one day and announcing, Here I am, I'm your guy, tools are in the truck, where do I start? ha ha I remember one of the very first jobs they gave me to prove my mettle (which no one else would volunteer for) was going up in a little basket pulled up by a 5/16ths steel cable. I was up 90 feet in the air welding on a 80 year old overhead train trestle suspension bridge that brought lime rocks into the kilns. It had rusted so bad that the expansion joints no longer worked and were coming apart and the trestle was about to fall down. Anyway, I was welding on those joints and my welding rod swept across the cable while my hood was down. I ended up burning through 3 of the 5 strands holding me in the air. Just another story of the Grace of God. :D

·
Super Moderator
18,387 Posts
Continuing on... A short story first then below that where this one continues...I had told this Spreckels story before this here to you guys before.

I have always love cranes. I thought I would like to be a crane operator one day. Your videos are special to me. They bring back a couple memories.

I remember one time when I was building ship sections. We used to build them from the keel up, but learned from the Japanese about building them in large sections and then piecing them together. Big, very heavy sections, very challenging for a crane operator. Anyway, one day in New Orleans at Avondale Shipyards, I was helping assist the lead man to put a large very heavy part alongside one of the sections and tack it on. The lead man had been in a hurry and had not centered the lifting bracket and there was too much weight on one side. I was on the other side and immediately knew it was off center as soon as it began to rise into the air. I told him to stop and that it needed adjustment before we went any further. He blew me off, and signaled the crane operator to lift the section and went under the part to begin to prepare to tack it on as it rose into the air. I was suddenly holding 200 pounds at least, extra on my side down so that it would not crush him as he was under it. I had a split second decision to make right now. Well, I could not let go, even though he said it was fine, but I knew better, he was going to die if I let go and suddenly found myself rising into the air to protect him from getting hurt. I was 35 feet in the air, hanging on by one hand, signaling the crane operator with the crane hand signals with the other hand to stop and go down. Every one in the shop was aghast when they saw what was happening. As loud as a welding fabricating shop can be and that's real real loud, it was suddenly so quiet you could have heard a fly fart. All eyes were upon me, thinking that they were about to witness me die. By the Grace of God, everything turned out just fine and I was lowered to the ground and he was ok. May I mention that the very next day, I was called into the office and suddenly there was a new lead man in charge. Me. :D

Another time in Spreckels, California, just outside Salinas at the Spreckels Sugar Company, I was a young eager beaver trying to rise up within the ranks of the emergency crew which basically had to be able to do everything, since the factory ran 24 hours a day many months of the year. Any down time costs several thousands of dollars every minute, it was a very high pressure job, I really loved the challenge though. You had to be able to be a welder, pipefitter, mechanic, helper, machinist and more. That was one job I bluffed my way into, walking in one day and announcing, Here I am, I'm your guy, tools are in the truck, where do I start? ha ha I remember one of the very first jobs they gave me to prove my mettle (which no one else would volunteer for) was going up in a little basket pulled up by a 5/16ths steel cable. I was up 90 feet in the air welding on a 80 year old overhead train trestle suspension bridge that brought lime rocks into the kilns. It had rusted so bad that the expansion joints no longer worked and were coming apart and the trestle was about to fall down. Anyway, I was welding on those joints and my welding rod swept across the cable while my hood was down. I ended up burning through 3 of the 5 strands holding me in the air. Just another story of the Grace of God. :D
I was just about to ask, beg even if anyone ever saw this place, then found this from a while back..

I've been on a few roads you seem to ride on too. Such nice riding down there. I miss it almost everyday. I worked at the old Spreckels Sugar Company and lived in Salinas at first, then rented a company owned house in Spreckels. That was by far one of the most interesting plants I ever worked in. Did you ever see that old sugar mill?
elime said:
LT. Yeah, it would be funny. I guess the world isn't that small. And I know where Spreckles is.
Cool Tony to see this again. I had hope someone had seen this place as I share the story again. This place is huge, you would know this. It is just hard to describe how big and I was wanting folks to know.

Reactions: Tweaker

·
Super Moderator
18,387 Posts
Another short story that that happened about a mile from Spreckels when I worked there.

I had a 55, a 56 and a 65. (talking about VW's)

The 55 was turned into a dune buggy and it was my first car. I bought it for 175 dollars and drove it into the ground trying to kill it and maybe myself too, for 2 years even going up hills and flying into the air with it, and then sold it for 275 dollars. I felt like quite the wheeler dealer.

The 56 I restored into showroom condition and a friend rolled it. He met Jesus that day.

The 65 ended up with Porsche equipment and was a pretty fast bug for its day. I got run off the road and ended up rolling it 4 times at 60mph ending up in a lettuce field one mile outside of Salinas. It caved in the roof completely down upon us both, and broke every window out. I had a 1/2 inch scratch, passenger was unharmed. As we were rolling, he said, "thank you Jesus" I had time to just say "Amen" and it was all over. With a little help, we flipped it back over, kicked out the roof, added a quart of oil and were on our way again. I had the windshield fixed only and drove it for another year before selling it. It ended up as a convertible dune buggy soon after.

As a kid, driving my Dad's VW out near some trails, a kid 16 years old, like me, stood on the back bumper jumping up and down, so what did I do? I floored it, hit the gas, got up to about 60 MPH with him holding with the very tips of his fingers into the air vents above the engine below the rear window screaming for his life, MY GOSH, how stupid can a kid be? I had to be one of the stupidest kids born ever! Can you imagine how that could have gone? Him dead, me remembering that for the rest of my life reliving it over and over every day of my life? Not to mention where it could have landed me? Juvie? Jail? Prison? O how God had his hand on my life! He must have had quite a plan for my life!! That's all I can say, and He did too.

That same VW of Dad's every day, every single time I drove it, I had this special corner 2 blocks from the house, that at just the right speed, about 35 MPH would turn this certain 90 degree corner, the VW would go up on two wheels and after that daily thrill, slowly cruise into the garage at home, but the car smelled of burning rubber, oil and abuse. He would ask me "what the hell have you been doing to my Fu***** Car" I would say "nothing Dad, just ran to "Albertsons" (Von's now) store, and got a soda"

Don't even make me tell you about the 98 Olds with the 455 cubic inch, highway patrol suspension car, what I did with that one...remind me later, I might tell you if you beg me...

·
Registered
363 Posts
Hi Tommy,
I was working maintenance at Smuckers at the time you were at Spreckles.
I didn't know that place was in such bad shape, I had applied there also, and was offered a maintenance job.
I'm glad I took the Smuckers job instead.
I was living in Prunedale at the time, and had an old vw that we took the body off and drove up and down the beach near Seaside.
It was great to read your stories about the old days in Salinas.
P.S. take the money and get a new battery, please.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts