TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
81 - 95 of 95 Posts

Β·
Super Moderator
20,111 Posts
I went for my one week after surgery follow up visit on Friday and I learned a couple interesting things that I didn't know about the operation.
I did mention to you guys that there were a couple of complications which I'll share in a moment, but meanwhile when I went in Friday the doctor came in after blood pressure and weight, temperature, and all that stuff had been checked, he walks in and the first thing he says is " You're not gonna beat me up are you?" I look at him totally bewildered and said "What???" I had no idea why he said that at all. He went on to explain that right after the operation when I was coming to, I rose up swinging like Muhammad Ali wanting to fight and that it took three people to hold me down. (Of course we know that all the doctors probably ran away and it was only three tiny little nurses... hahaha!) But still, I was shocked to hear this!! Loving sweet littletommy?? Apparently so!! hahaha!! I just think that is so funny and I didn't remember any of it, period. I did do that one other time though coming out of a surgery but had long forgotten that until he brought this up on Friday. I guess it does happen once in awhile though with anybody coming out of surgery. It really threw me for a loop though, it's kind of funny. I can envision one tiny little nurse flying across the room this way, another one the other way, and the other one running for her life hahaha. Have any of you experienced something similar?
I will share the complications that I had with you in a little while...

Β·
Registered
3,043 Posts
My wife was coming out of surgery while I waited to see her. Time passed and they still wouldn't let me back. Then two security guards went in. Then 3 more bigger guards went in. My wife is only 5'3", so I had no idea what could be going on. Turned out some guy coming out of surgery kept trying to get up to pee. He had a catheter and it makes it so you feel like you have to pee. He tried to take it out, fight the nurses, then a total of 5 guards. He was cussing and swearing the foulest language. My wife can't tolerate any violence, not even raised voices, let alone swearing and fighting off guards. So they gave her fentenoyl to calm her down. They finally let me back and I told her as long as they keep giving her fentenoyl, they won't release her. She calmed down and the guy sweating calmed down finally and I got to take her home.

Β·
Registered
3,110 Posts
I went for my one week after surgery follow up visit on Friday and I learned a couple interesting things that I didn't know about the operation.
I did mention to you guys that there were a couple of complications which I'll share in a moment, but meanwhile when I went in Friday the doctor came in after blood pressure and weight, temperature, and all that stuff had been checked, he walks in and the first thing he says is " You're not gonna beat me up are you?" I look at him totally bewildered and said "What???" I had no idea why he said that at all. He went on to explain that right after the operation when I was coming to, I rose up swinging like Muhammad Ali wanting to fight and that it took three people to hold me down. (Of course we know that all the doctors probably ran away and it was only three tiny little nurses... hahaha!) But still, I was shocked to hear this!! Loving sweet littletommy?? Apparently so!! hahaha!! I just think that is so funny and I didn't remember any of it, period. I did do that one other time though coming out of a surgery but had long forgotten that until he brought this up on Friday. I guess it does happen once in awhile though with anybody coming out of surgery. It really threw me for a loop though, it's kind of funny. I can envision one tiny little nurse flying across the room this way, another one the other way, and the other one running for her life hahaha. Have any of you experienced something similar?
I will share the complications that I had with you in a little while...
Maybe that'll teach them not to have donuts in the recovery room.

Β·
Registered
3,043 Posts
I went in for hernia surgery. When I woke up in recovery, no one was there. I got up and wandered down a hall. Went out a door which led to the parking lot. The door locked behind me. There I am, loopy from surgery, my ass hanging out of the gown in the hospital parking lot. I walked into the ER. There they read my wrist band and returned me to recovery.

Β·
Super Moderator
20,111 Posts
I will post more later when I feel a little better but the bottom line is the hospital screwed up on me and it never should have happened. VA hospitals are training hospitals and this isn't the first time they screwed up on me. With the complications I had they should have canceled surgery immediately.

I will post more later and tell you guys what happened to me. It's no wonder I came up swinging them darn suckers almost killed me twice.

They had mentioned they had to do more on my rotator cuff than they thought and I did find that information out. They said my shoulder was a absolute mess. Badly torn ligaments and tendons, no cartilage anywhere and everything was down to raw bone and they had to do extensive buffing and cleaning up due to the Arthritis over the years.

All things considered though, I'm just glad it's over with, recovery is going to take a little while for sure but I am starting to feel better, I still can't get any sleep though, two hours max and I have to get up.

Every day is different like Tyler said, some days are bad some days are better, I've always been good at just rolling with the punches so I'll make it just fine.

The bicep muscle seems to be just a cut and paste job haha I'm assuming they did that right. Right now I still have to be very careful with that arm and it does hurt. The last couple days I've been able to take the sling off if I'm sitting on the couch a couple times. I found it odd that my elbow was just killing me. So when I take the sling off I can straighten my arm out a little bit and that has helped with the elbow pain.

I'll post more about the VA screw up later.

Thank you everybody for the love and the support and comments, I really appreciate it, you guys are the best!!

Β·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Seems Rotator Cuff surgery recovery takes a longish time. Know a fellow that went into a regular hospital to have some major abdominal surgery. Seems in mid procedure his body had a severe reaction to the anesthetic and they felt compelled to 'turn-off' the feed and try to neutralize the medications affect. In doing that, he was left wide open with out pain relief. Various staff members told him they could hear his screams all over the hospital. He indicated to me that during the 'process' he wished many times he would die. I did not ask any questions as the story left me on the verge of tears.

Β·
Registered
3,110 Posts
I will post more later when I feel a little better but the bottom line is the hospital screwed up on me and it never should have happened. VA hospitals are training hospitals and this isn't the first time they screwed up on me. With the complications I had they should have canceled surgery immediately.

I will post more later and tell you guys what happened to me. It's no wonder I came up swinging them darn suckers almost killed me twice.

They had mentioned they had to do more on my rotator cuff than they thought and I did find that information out. They said my shoulder was a absolute mess. Badly torn ligaments and tendons, no cartilage anywhere and everything was down to raw bone and they had to do extensive buffing and cleaning up due to the Arthritis over the years.

All things considered though, I'm just glad it's over with, recovery is going to take a little while for sure but I am starting to feel better, I still can't get any sleep though, two hours max and I have to get up.

Every day is different like Tyler said, some days are bad some days are better, I've always been good at just rolling with the punches so I'll make it just fine.

The bicep muscle seems to be just a cut and paste job haha I'm assuming they did that right. Right now I still have to be very careful with that arm and it does hurt. The last couple days I've been able to take the sling off if I'm sitting on the couch a couple times. I found it odd that my elbow was just killing me. So when I take the sling off I can straighten my arm out a little bit and that has helped with the elbow pain.

I'll post more about the VA screw up later.

Thank you everybody for the love and the support and comments, I really appreciate it, you guys are the best!!
I'm glad you're recovering. Now you need to get another chihuahua. Then during your recovery you can do chihuahua curls with one in each hand. Just have some treats handy for a chihuahua curl workout. Get you a youtube channel started and then maybe you'll get enough money to cover the surgery.

Β·
Registered
108 Posts
prayers are with you tommy .i always enjoy your and ski pros posts and advice .i dont know how to post photos so im probably considered an outsider, i ride a tw and look forward to this site as a way to calm down after a day in this modern world. im 60 and getting weaker every day now. your spiritual message is very positive and helpful.

Β·
Super Moderator
20,111 Posts
prayers are with you tommy .i always enjoy your and ski pros posts and advice .i dont know how to post photos so im probably considered an outsider, i ride a tw and look forward to this site as a way to calm down after a day in this modern world. im 60 and getting weaker every day now. your spiritual message is very positive and helpful.
Thank you brother, I appreciate that.

Β·
Super Moderator
20,111 Posts
I promise to fill you guys in on what happened but I overdid it a bit on the arm and am now paying for it. Good news is I am catching up on my sleep a little bit!!

Β·
Super Moderator
20,111 Posts
Here's what happened, they were doing the block on my shoulder which means they inject you in the neck and try to hit a cluster of nerves that go to the shoulder so you won't feel the pain for up to 24 hours. This is optional I think and I wanted it. I was tired of pain and had already suffered for a whole year. Anything that would mean a break from the pain I wanted.
I was impressed with the team and they seemed to be doing a great job so far. While I was waiting for all this to happen, I found myself reflecting on my life. I had no fear of the surgery, I was just glad to be in there and to be getting it done finally. I had no anxiety to speak of and felt fine about getting it done. I didn't think I was going to die and felt perfect peace about the whole deal. Things happen though with old people in poor health and surgeries but I wasn't worried.
I found myself thinking of my life and all I could do was praise and thank the Lord for such a wonderful wonderful wonderful life. Honestly, it's been horrible and I wouldn't wish it on anyone but I am the man I am today because He let me go through these things and I'm very grateful He did. I've learned a lot. ha ha
So, in comes the anesthesiologist, he explains what they are going to do and begins. I turn my head to watch the monitor and can see the needle entering. He injects the dose into what he believes is the nerves and then you wait up to 30 minutes to see if it took. I am laying on my back and if it is effective, I won't be able to lift my left arm into the air. Nope didn't take. In comes another anesthesiologist and they both do it coaching and teaching each other. Again, nope, didn't work. In comes the head honcho and is going to show these young bucks how to do it. All three are around me and he begins, he is injecting more and more into me and teaching the other 2 guys. I hear him say, "OK, he is at toxic levels, if this doesn't work, we can't give him any more."
A moment later I go into respiratory failure. I'm watching all this and see them go into frenzied action. I'm not afraid and had no fear in my eyes even though I couldn't breathe or talk or move. I'm just watching and taking it all in. I'm thinking; Wow, this should be interesting, I'm dying. I've never been through this before... ha ha
Mere moments pass, I can no longer see anything and don't know what is happening. Next thing I know I am awake for a moment on the operating table and again it happens. This time I am bewildered a bit and again I can't breathe at all. They saw it in my eyes this time and asked me if I could breathe, I think I moved my head saying no and again I was out.
Next thing I know is, I am in recovery. It's done and over with. All I want is to get the heck out of there and come home!! ha ha ha ha It's no wonder I came up swinging!!
My sister Sue who is a nurse and well familiar with such things said they screwed up. She said at the first sign of anesthesia problems they should have cancelled the surgery for another time and that I was in Mortal Danger.
Guess you guys will have to put up with me for a while longer!! ha ha ha ha

Β·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Military docs treat you like the government property you are. Or were, as the case may be. They wouldn't give it a thought that they were at fault if you died, they would blame it on your condition.

Β·
Registered
232 Posts
This is for you, LT:

Now, I am not a particularly religious dude but I do know you REALLY believe, so I bet you like this cool quotation I found.
And, I am a true believer in 'good ideas, crazy ideas & extravagant ideas'!

"Never put a lid on God.
You can give God a thimble and ask for a quart. It won't work. Your plans, your projects, your dreams have to always be bigger than you, so God has room to operate. I want you to get good ideas, crazy ideas, extravagant ideas.
Nothing is too much for The Lord to do - accent on 'The Lord'
!"
β€” Mother Angelica

81 - 95 of 95 Posts