TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
March 29-30. I welcome all who would like to join Purple and the gang for a ride into Joshua State Park to establish a memorial, place a marker and honor Russ Austin. If you could make a dog tag for the marker (petco has a dog tag maker) we will attach it to the marker in memory of Russ. We will be meeting and staying at with Jeff and Judy at Kismet spa through Sunday. This is a great place to soak in hot spring water, beautiful rooms, and enjoy there hospitaity. After the memorial on Saturday we will ride through Berdoo Canyon a beautiful and simple ride. Sundays ride will be talked about over dinner Saturday. Please join us and bring closure to a great friend!

Ronnydog

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Ride safely and realize you are doing important work. Even those of us who can not attend should take a moment (in a hot tub or not) and be thankful for what we have and the opportunities that lie before us in honor of Russ (and his friends who have lost his physical presence). Tom

·
Registered
385 Posts
While not yet ready to retire, or move to a warmer climate, I am looking outside at the bulletproof ice that is soon to leave Minnesnowtah, and really wanting to join on this ride.

This makes me realize that while I do want to join this ride, I still have all the care and kindness that I am able to enjoy through the writings from all of you.

I know you will do Russ Proud, and I will be with all of you in thought. Who knows, I may even be out riding Junior that day and celebrate from a distance.

Enjoy your ride, have fun, and take care.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Haven't been on for a few weeks and got the call today. Please, count me in for Saturday at a minimum. Not sure that Sunday will be an option for me. Either way, can't wait to see everone again.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Ronnydog, thanks for putting this on the forum. Kick Stands Up @ 9:00 on Saturday 29th departing from our spa. We have a dirt lot on our North side where we will gather. If you'd like to spend the night at the Spa we will give fellow riders a 50% discount on rooms. Our spa is the real deal with pure mineral water pools and just like the spas in Europe, swimsuits are optional. You can learn more at Livingwatersspa.com. BTW, we were named among the the Top 25 Small Hotels in the USA by Tripadvisor.

Regarding the ride... I typically take it easy and the journey into Joshua Tree via Berdoo Canyon is wonderful. So, slow is good as we take in all the sights. When we exit the park there is a $5.00 fee. We'll have a late lunch after we leave the park. It has been a couple of years since I've led this ride and at the last ride Russ (and Gina) was with us. There isn't a day that I ride that I don't think of our dear friend. Hope folks can come out even just for the day. Jeff (aka JS5Owner)

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will have 4 to 5 riders coming with me and riding on Sunday also. Not sure what hotel we are staying at but I'm checking prices.

ronnydog

·
Registered
118 Posts
I'll be up in the desert that weekend and down for the ride on Saturday. Here's another option for riders that might want to join.

I'll be camped at our new place in the town of Joshua Tree the day before by noon. My plan is to leave around 7:30 Saturday morning and get to Jeff's with plenty of time to spare. Our property is actually in "North Joshua Tree" and the cabin is an old homesteader's ruins. The main structure is in very rough shape (pretty much uninhabitable even for camping) but we're hoping to spend the next few years saving as much of it as we can.

Russ was there when we first got the place going about two years ago and helped through the initial phase when we were evicting wildlife and boarding up windows. He also helped me buy and install a power pole, hang a few doors and windows on the garage and beat back high winds and low morale on difficult building weekends. It sucks that he's not around to see how far we've come since we last got together out there.

I have not hosted a riding weekend since this pic was taken about 2 years ago. Pic L to R Jimbo, Ronnydog, Lizrdbrth, Purple, Greenalder. Thanks to DR Don for indulging me by pushing his bike out of the frame and getting the TW shot :D

I invite adventurous campers and dual sporters to partake of my humble camp ground for this ride. There is power, cold running water and a working bathroom but not much else. Please pm me for specs.

BYO and let's ride :)

-Steven

·
Registered
284 Posts
I haven't been on the site very much in recent months but I just came across this thread. I am very sad to hear of Russ's passing. I only had the pleasure of riding with him on a couple of rides, the last one was Death Valley October 2013. He was definitely one of those people who I knew as an acquaintance and would have loved to have gotten to know better. My thoughts are with Purple. Unfortunately I have to work the weekend of the memorial ride, otherwise my friend Jerry and I would be there.

Godspeed Lizardbreath!

Kevin

·
Registered
308 Posts
I haven't been on the site very much in recent months but I just came across this thread. I am very sad to hear of Russ's passing. I only had the pleasure of riding with him on a couple of rides, the last one was Death Valley October 2013. He was definitely one of those people who I knew as an acquaintance and would have loved to have gotten to know better. My thoughts are with Purple. Unfortunately I have to work the weekend of the memorial ride, otherwise my friend Jerry and I would be there.

Godspeed Lizardbreath!

Kevin
Kevin, the loss of Russ is really beyond words... It is nice to hear from you and sure wish you were able to come to the ride. Best regards to you my friend! -Jeff

·
Registered
118 Posts

Godspeed Lizardbreath!

Hey Kev!

It's been a while... Sorry you're getting the news so late. I know how it can be. We'll hopefully be putting some more high desert rides together before too long. It'll be good to see you Fullerton guys out there again. You're good people to ride with for sure. Please say hey to Jerry.

·
Registered
3 Posts
if it is not to late I would like to come ride and pay my respects to Russ and of corse bring my little Trailer with cold drinks

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
if it is not to late I would like to come ride and pay my respects to Russ and of corse bring my little Trailer with cold drinks
Please come! I think we are going to stay at the motel 6 in desert hot springs. The memorial will be worth your time.

ronnydog

·
Registered
572 Posts
I've been away for a long time myself, and am just finding out about this. I was wondering why my emails were coming back undelivered. I was going to call him today. Somebody please email me with the facts, and contact info for Purple. I wish I could make the ride; but there is no way at this time.
I spent a day and half with him at El Mirage, and the half day Purple was there too; this past summer. It was the first time we had met face to face. It's like we had been friends forever.
What a great guy he was, and Purple is so sweet.
Purple; if you read this; you have my deepest, heart felt sympathy and condolence's. Please know that you are in my prayers, and I'm not just saying that. I really do pray for people, and ask God for his special attention to those for which I pray.
Russ Austin was one in a million, and will be sorely missed.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I'm looking forward to seeing all this Saturday. Remember, Kick Stands Up @ 9:00 leaving from our spa: Living Waters Spa / aka Kismet Lodge, 13340 Mountain View Rd. Desert Hot Springs. 760-329-9988. The weather will be in the low 80s... with Joshua Tree in the 70s. PERFECT riding day. -Jeff

1 - 20 of 43 Posts