TW200 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 87 TW
I bought it with issues
Got it running, old but tight motor, no ticks or knocks. However it seems to load up at times like an old Maico or CZ. Could be coincidence but when I turn the screw to empty the float bowl it starts running better.
I lowered the float level. It would seem to me if they were set too high fuel would run out the over flow. I cleaned the carb with contact cleaner but it still does it. I read something about the cheapie Chinese carbs working. Are they a direct replacement or do I have to alter things like a new throttle cable. I really want to ride my ugly rusty TW.

·
Super Moderator
4,046 Posts
"I really want to ride my ugly rusty TW."... yea those 87's... lol. Might be the fastest but they are the oldest.
There are Chinese exact copy carbs on eBay quite often, the cheapest from a scooter company in Europe. Those are an exact fit. I got a few as spares, never used them yet but others I know say they work great at sea level. At the time they were $135 new including shipping. There are others, dirt cheap, not a %100 exact fit but fitable. Search the forum on google site:www.tw200forum.com

·
Registered
8,353 Posts
I bet it is running too rich. Check the spark plug color and adjust the pilot screw.

GaryL

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to all. I always appreciate when someone takes the time to respond to me need for help.
I would think that it's running rich too GaryL however the issue is erratic not all the time. If it were rich I would think it would be consistent
And the plug is darn near white when I pull it after running fine.
I am thinking it just may be that oring. Methanol gas is the Devil itself.
I have a CB1000 that's useless until I spend the money to have the carbs cleaned. I'm not touching that stack of 4 carbs
Plus I feel much safer on the TW than the CB1000. I race MX and Off-road yet I've lost my nerve riding a 100+ hp bike on the road
The only reason I call my TW ugly is I bought it as a neglected pound puppy. It's rusty and beat up some. I think when they are fresh they grow on you. Kinda like the girl in school you first thought was funny looking but by the first report card you find her strangely hot
Thanks for the help

·
Registered
8,353 Posts
Thanks to all. I always appreciate when someone takes the time to respond to me need for help.
I would think that it's running rich too GaryL however the issue is erratic not all the time. If it were rich I would think it would be consistent
And the plug is darn near white when I pull it after running fine.
I am thinking it just may be that oring. Methanol gas is the Devil itself.
I have a CB1000 that's useless until I spend the money to have the carbs cleaned. I'm not touching that stack of 4 carbs
Plus I feel much safer on the TW than the CB1000. I race MX and Off-road yet I've lost my nerve riding a 100+ hp bike on the road
The only reason I call my TW ugly is I bought it as a neglected pound puppy. It's rusty and beat up some. I think when they are fresh they grow on you. Kinda like the girl in school you first thought was funny looking but by the first report card you find her strangely hot
Thanks for the help
My experience is that gal that was funny looking and now has some miles and rust is often your best bet. You just need to figure out what makes her tick! E gas is a devil IMO but sometimes all it takes is an over dose of Sea Foam to clean her pipes. The older guys here might understand these old style carbeurated engines but most of the young crowd are more in tune with fuel injected motors adjusted by some computer chip set up. All will be just fine once you get the fuel flowing fine and just about any internal issue can be the cause of the problem you describe. Start at the top in the tank and petcock and work down until you find the offender.

GaryL

1 - 6 of 6 Posts