TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m new to the forum and have had two TW200’s in the past. The wife and I camp a lot and pull a 30’ Outdoors RV so taking one of these bikes with us would be great. Anybody fit your bike in the bed of the truck with a topper mounted? Mounting a front receiver is an option but I’d rather put the bike in the bed.

Thanks, Tony

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
I'm of no help other than to say the front reciever works well with a TW since it's short enough to see over and not block the headlights. I also have seen 'Super Hitch' set ups where the bike can be on the rear receiver hitch while still able to tow a trailer. Probably not a 30' trailer though. How about a carrier for the back of your 30' trailer? I've seen Harley's carried this way, surely the TW200 could be if done right.
Would the TW fit on the tailgate? Leave the top on, but back hatch closed and put the TW on the lowered tailgate. Just spit ballin' here now.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Mine would never fit in my Tacoma. But take measurements with the mirrors removed and the handlebars turned down. You could always lean the bike at the top of the loading ramps to wrangle it in.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would put it on the back bumper of the camper but I recently mounted a kayak rack.

T

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
I've seen mats that roll up for trucks, used to haul gravel and quickly unload by cranking a handle. Maybe you could use that and slide the bike in by hand on the slick mat, then crank wind it back to retrieve it back out. Or a chunk of plywood; set one end on the tailgate, lay the bike on it, then pick up the other end and slide it into the bed. A small electric winch could assist.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The opening with tailgate down and rear hatch open is 37”. Anyone ever measure to the bars with mirrors removed?

T

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have a lumber rack which is taller than most canopies that I've seen. I can only load the bike if I remove the rear cross bar.

The only way I see it happening is if you can rotate the bars down.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
I have a lumber rack which is taller than most canopies that I've seen. I can only load the bike if I remove the rear cross bar.

The only way I see it happening is if you can rotate the bars down.
another cool feature of the CT-90s of old...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just ordered a front receiver hitch. Lets hope it’s not to much of a bear to put together.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
@T4halo
I think you have landed on the best possible combination like Ski uses/advises and you may find other convenient uses for the front hitch such as moving a boat trailer, utility trailer or your camper (if bumper pull) around in tight spaces. Much easier to maneuver around in close quarters and a heck of a lot easier on the neck.

Marty

·
Registered
11 Posts
My opinion, everyone has one.

Lose the topper. Strap the bike angled with the tailgate up. Surely you can put the stuff you’d put in the bed (which isn’t much if your bike is there, topper or not) m the 30’ camper.
Bike fully on the down tailgate (1) isn’t as wide as the bike is long, (2) reduces clearance to camper, (3) leaves no anchor point rear of the tail gate (4) risks breaking tailgate support cable and causing one huge mess on the road. If you must have a bed cover, put it back on when you need it OR get a tri fold that is flush without the top of the bed and folds perpendicular at the cab to allow full bed access.

30’ trailer on back, extended with canoe rack on the back of the camper, and bike on the front? Hopefully this is a super duty truck and seems to be a pretty heavy load on the suspension front and back that could be avoided by putting the load on the rear suspension where the designers intended it to be. Alternatively if you insist on a front hitch and rear hitch, I’d consider putting the bike aft of the camper and lighter load on the front (or on top of the cab/topper.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
3500 Cummins. I’m not worried about a couple more pounds up front. I’ve been pretty lucky so far, we’ve camped in 27 states.

·
Registered
11 Posts
3500 Cummins. I’m not worried about a couple more pounds up front. I’ve been pretty lucky so far, we’ve camped in 27 states.
I understand. There are several that report the racks failing and or bikes coming off the rack. Good thing about having it on the front is you’ll see it as soon as it does and know what it was that you ran over unlike if it were on the back. Either way be safe and happy camping.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
I have the diesel ram like yours. The front hitch was a breeze to install and the rack works great. The TW200 is short enough you can just see the tops of the bars. I use a wobble stopper on the hitch so the bike doesn't rock around. I carry a camper and tow either my Suzuki Samurai or my kayak trailer, but the best is when I don't tow anything as I can then drive over 55mph.
I have several photos of my RAM with my TW200, a Kawasaki KX250 and a BMW Dakar F650GS strapped to the front. No problem carrying any of those bikes on our trucks. In fact, my truck drives better with the extra weight up front.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Can you post a few pics with the bikes in front. I’d like to see your setup. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Can you post a few pics with the bikes in front. I’d like to see your setup. Thanks!
I'll try. None of my photos are sorted so I gotta remember when I had bikes on the front and go by year and month.... Here's one on a trip to Idaho. Fuzzy I know.

This photo is from the passenger seat showing how much of the TW you can see from the cab. Helping this guy change a flat on his trailer somewhere on our way to Glacier Nat'l Park....

Another shot, this time Craters of the Moon, Idaho;

A couple shots of the day I bought the bike and hauling it home. I have a bull bar on the front of my truck that makes it easy to lash down the TW200 to.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts