TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
@assquatch20 This is awesome visual material! That is sooooooo wide! Gee I thought my setup was wide (angle is not perfect but that's the best pic I have):

A trailer, noooooooooo! o_O 馃槃

It's all part of the little game we play modifying our motorcycles, change one thing, something else doesn't work.. get something perfectly dialed in, and have to change it a few months later. Meanwhile money just goes down the drain. Good thing we love it 馃槀
Ha ha you are so right!!! But I park the diesel truck to use the bike more than half of the year so she's worth it! 馃槃

Nice of you to offer to buy my racks. Not sure the shipping rates and duty fees would make the transaction profitable but hey, I'm not there yet...

To all of you knowledged Tdubbers: Could someone remind me which of the racks on the market end up cracking your frame if you overload? I know that's an issue with one of the brands... Just so I know before I make any move...

I'm reading you all with much interest. Your inputs are very helpful. Thinking in progress... :)

Registered
In my limited research, I saw that any rack shown to mount to the cross bracket under the rear of the seat, were the ones breaking it. But others welded up a new strong mount there and it lasted. The one I saw most often mentioned was the cycle racks, with that being its only mounting point on top, and having a lot of leverage against that mounting point. The happy trails SU rack mounts to the passenger peg frame mount, the sturdier mounts under the seat that are welded to the frame, and to the turn signal mounts. With the wrap around frame design it helps redistribute the weight and should be a lot less strain on the bike, as it's more like it's own subframe. I imagine if you have a rear top rack that also mounts to the turn signals, that the happy trails SU rack would become even more rigid of a structure. Like the precision top rack.

It's the rack I've been looking at if I do go the route of packing more gear on the bike, but I don't think I will need to, so I'm patiently waiting and will likely end up going with the soft luggage ones from precision to keep the bike slimmer, protect it in falls, for dragging through and under things, and just throw my existing giant loop soft bags over.

Reactions: TrailwayGirl

Registered
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Filled a basket on HappyTrail.com o_O I have not checked out yet. Still pondering my options.

Gee I like their pannier kit! :)

I had more suggestions. I thought they were good options although not perfect for me so I'll share them here anyway. They're more or less lockable (they rely on Steelcore-style straps) semi-rigid luggage:

The others are Enduristan Monsoon Evo bags. These ones lock on your rack with a padlock if you want so that's nice. The mechanism is genius.

Registered
I have the precision side racks. I currently have Nelson Rigg Deluxe Adventure saddlebags, but have never actually used them.

I also have a set of top loading Pelican 1430 cases I mean to fit up somehow. I bought them on spec, but haven't even attempted. If I get around to it, I'll let you know results.

I have Hepco Backer Aluminum Standards on the Dakar. Theoretically I can use the Pelican cases or the Nelson Riggs on there too.

Reactions: TrailwayGirl

Registered
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Anyone can tell me how long it takes to remove the HT paniers from the rack? Say if you intend to remove them when you hit the trail so as to not get a leg stuck... Will it be time-consuming each time you do it?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #27 ·

Registered
Takes about a minute per side.
If that. With mine you just loosen two knobs per box and pull the box kinda outward and upward and it's off. Older ones might've just used bolts. The knobs are very, very fast unless there's a bunch of stuff in the way in the boxes.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I did it... I ordered the HT racks/panniers. Pretty excited about it too. I really needed the convenience and safety of them, and I appreciate that they are ready-to-use. I'll get to spend my time on different projects so it's a win-win situation.

I have the precision side racks. I currently have Nelson Rigg Deluxe Adventure saddlebags, but have never actually used them.

I also have a set of top loading Pelican 1430 cases I mean to fit up somehow. I bought them on spec, but haven't even attempted. If I get around to it, I'll let you know results.
@NorthernSpy In any event, I'd love to see your setup in detail if you get around to it. Really. You'll get to be the pioneer.

I've been using the Nelson Rigg Adventure saddlebags (without the Deluxe) for 3 years now, and I find they do not keep their shape and the straps are a hassle. They probably improved the whole thing in the Deluxe version.

Thanks everyone for your helpful inputs. They really fed my decision-making process.

Registered
TrailwayGirl
How about posting some pictures of your
T-dub with the panniers .. :unsure:

Registered
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
@Workingman

Been using my racks for 4 months now, 5 days a week. No regrets, would buy them again.

I like the build of the racks and bumper. Solid.

Tire Wheel Motorcycle Automotive lighting Fuel tank

The panniers felt huge at first but they turned out to be the perfect size for my needs. Takes a minute or two to put them on and off.

Tire Plant Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire

I carry ratchet straps and bungee cords always and never had to go back to the mailbox with the truck for a parcel, or a tire. :)

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Plant

I had doubts about the effect on handling of the panniers for some time but it was my bad. My front tire was too heavy from a bad choice of tube and also out of balance. Handling was a nightmare for too many months and adding weight to the back of the bike made it worst.

It turns out the panniers do not affect the handling that much. It sure helps to try and have the same weight on either side, but I have ridden them unequal with not much consequence. My little bike takes the wind just as well with the panniers as without.

I love the Happy Trail setup. I'll eventually get the same racks for my 1999. They protect the bike and can be pretty useful by design. I also got the Rotopax plate for the side racks but haven't used it yet.

Registered
Looking good TrailwayGirl
I'm working on pannier setup myself
To work off of my cyclerack ....
mike from NC

Registered
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Looking good TrailwayGirl
I'm working on pannier setup myself
To work off of my cyclerack ....
mike from NC
You should post pictures and let us know how that goes 馃檪. I'd be curious to see the result.

Reactions: Workingman

Registered
You should post pictures and let us know how that goes 馃檪. I'd be curious to see the result.
It will most likely become a winter project ......
I'm not getting any riding time as it is..
I will post updates.....
mike from NC

21 - 34 of 34 Posts