TW200 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on long term storage of my stock tank and was wondering what is the "best practice"? The fuel cock has been removed and it does have a fuel cap.
Should I try and get out all of the gas, rinse with distilled water then flush with menthol hydrate.......any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
TIA

·
Super Moderator
5,159 Posts
Generally speaking, it's best to "fog" the internals of the tank with some sort of water repellent lubricant - WD40 springs to mind, but any sort of light oil will do

Even 20/50 mixed with petrol would suffice

But don't forget to wax the outside as well - even a small chip in the paint will rust over time ......

·
Registered
13,654 Posts

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
No WD 40 stands for water displacement formula 40. It was designed to protect aerospace stuff. Original formula had some kind of fish oil in it too. Propellant is propane so it can be used to start diesel engines too. Ask me how I know.

Isn't wd40 a corrosive? I use mineral oil to prevent corrosion on my blades...it's cheap and works. I've also considered picking up some machining oil to protect tools...

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I would not trust mineral oil as I have the feeling that it evaporates with time. I use it a lot in lapidary and piece of 2x4 soaked in mineral oil will dry out within a year and probably much sooner. Even motor oil won't hurt the tank surface and will wash out when needed.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
I would plug the petcock hole, pour in about a quart of 2 cycle engine oil and slosh it around with the fill cap on. Make sure you flip the tank and get oil on all the inner surfaces. Then drain the excess oil out and again plug and cap the tank for storage. When you have to put the tank back in service the 2 cycle oil coating will mix with the fuel and not hurt anything.

GaryL

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
In that low concentration, it probably won't even smoke. Great ideas here. Also, I heard a while back that they took the flammable propellant out of WD40. Not true????

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
There was a non flammable formula but I don’t see it anymore. Plus you can buy it in bulk without a propellant for use in a squeeze sprayer etc.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I would go with GaryL's suggestion and maybe even plug the petcock hole or put it back on, and leave some oil in there and every once in a while give the tank a shake up and rotation and spread it around again, and this would also keep it from drying out inside the tank.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts