TW200 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been visiting the site for quite some time, watching builds, learning a lot. My buddy Dave bought a TW after riding one in his motorcycle safety course and soon after I thought I better get one too. I found one that needed some attention. We took her down to the frame, blasted and painted everything. New cables, lines, gaskets, grips, mirrors and assorted bits. Recovered the original seat. Lowered her stance with v-star shock (which we learned about right here) and got her some new rubber. Took just under eight months, but here she is - Roxanne!

·
Super Moderator
17,949 Posts
Beautiful Job Bro!!!! +1 for sure!! :D

·
Super Moderator
17,949 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
First, let me say thanks for all the kind words. This site has been an invaluable source of knowledge and inspiration for us.

Both Dave and I love the Tdub - be it in stock form or one of the wild ones you find on japan webike. We opted for a build somewhere in between. We found a well-used '87 on line and took a trip into the twilight zone to pick it up beyond the reach of cell phones and even GPS - but that is a whole 'nother story. Anyway, we got her home, stripped her down to see what she really had...

Plastics were solid except for missing side covers so I picked up a set here on the forum. Cleaned up and hit 'em with car paint.
Frame was blasted and painted - wanted to keep a nod to Yamaha blue in there!
New tubes and tires - went with the less aggressive tread as I don't think she will see that much dirt. She will probably see more local bike nights - we'll see what the Harley boys think of her!
Lowered the stance as 1. I like the look and 2. I'm short. Trimmed down the kickstand as well.
Refreshed the engine, did all the maintenance and new gaskets as needed - Didn't need much as she was strong runner when we got her. Not pretty, but running!
Carb rebuild kit just as a matter of practice - we find it just eliminates a lot of possible questions and problems down the road.
Few new bits include Biltwell kung fu grips, metal tank badges all the way from England, new mirrors, and turn signals.
Fabricated a new license plate bracket and fitted it with a lucas-style light. The old plate bracket, rear taillight and rear turn signals were missing.
Had the seat redone by the local upholstery shop - they have done our last 3 seats and they always look so much better than the first seat I attempted to make for out first build.
Have to say we are well pleased with how she came out! We definitely plan on doing another Tdub build soon!

Thanks again guys!

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Looks great! I'm thinking a blue Jimbo shield to finish her off is the ticket. :)

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Now that looks like the cleanest TW ever. Love the color combo and lowered stance. When I first saw it I thought, in miniature it would be the perfect desk weight. I know it will be the talk of the city bikes.

Have a great time, and remember, it does have a weight limit for all those gals that will want to climb on with you.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It is a stock exhaust - we think from a '96 model - it needed a simple bracket to fit. The spark arrestor was drilled out when we got it. Hit it with a little high temp paint. She has a nice rumble.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts