TW200 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 8" extended swingarm from Webike, and the chain it comes with is about 2-3" too short!!! Can anyone point me in the right direction of a long o-ring chain for an extended swingarm? Do I need to just buy two chains and merge them? Also will I need a difference front or rear sprocket with the longer swing arm?

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
My son put one of those swingarms on his bike but he received the correct length chain. Since it appears that you are running a stock size rear sprocket I would suggest contacting Webike for the proper length chain. If that doesn't work, determine how many links the short chain has and start shopping for one that has the additional length that you need. If you want to be able to ride your bike now you could add a length of chain from your original chain, but it wouldn't match the pretty gold one that probably came with your kit.

There is no need to change your sprockets due to the longer swingarm, unless they are already worn and need to be replaced.

·
Registered
19,592 Posts
A 428 chain’s inner plus outer link halves nominally equals 1.0 inches.
A swing arm extended 8 inches will need 16 inches of additional chain.
The math gets pretty complicated here but I believe this calculates out to 16 additional links needed.;)

Now if one is changing sprockets the chain only sees ~1/2 the number of teeth added or subtracted to the sprocket. Thus a slide-rule can divide by two then round up as needed. Screen shot 2013-01-31 at 9.57.21 PM.png
i.e. going from 50 to 55 teeth adds five teeth to the circle and the chain wraps around the back half seeing only one half (plus a fraction) of these five teeth at any time.
5/2=2.5
Thus I’ld cut the new chain three links longer than the 50 tooth sprocket’s chain and hope it fits. Can always use chain breaker to remove the last rounded up additional link if needed.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,051 Posts
If you slide the rear wheel forward 1" you will need to shorten the chain by 2".

If you haven't moved the rear wheel as far forward as it will go then that is the next step you have to take. Nothing else matters!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The rear wheel is all the way forward...maybe I'm missing something because the chain came specifically with the rear extended swing arm as a kit, with drum brake arm extension too! I couldn't imagine that they would send me a chain that doesn't fit!? I'll double check that my wheel is all the way forward...I also have stock front and rear sprockets....when I went to put the chain on, I was about 2 inches short!

·
Registered
386 Posts
japanese models run 47T or 45T rear sprockets, US models are 50T i believe? if this is correct this might be where the problem is, if you are using the bilke for street i would suggest a 47T

·
Registered
19,592 Posts
Perhaps 45/50ths slower acceleration coupled with a ~10% theoretical (minus real world aerodynamic drag) increase in top speed. Might gain 4 or 5 mph on level ground but may have difficulty holding upper gears in wind or inclines due to ~10% less available torque at the rear wheel in any given gear.

·
Registered
386 Posts
47 is ok for street use, i have found that you can cruise nicely without the engine working too hard, not had any problems with hills, the 225cc runs 45T, guess the extra cc makes up for the gearing, but again nice for cruising, not into off roading so can't comment there.

i've joined my chains, there isn't any problem with doing it, you might consider a chain tensioner. but i only say that because the chains we get here stretch easily.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I'm going to just buy two 428 0 ring chains and join them up
This is the way I would go...you have a nice bike there, might as well get the "good stuff". I would recommend looking at the X ring chains also. I replaced my stock chain with one. The X is supposed to have less parasitic drag than O but still being long lasting and low maintenance. About the same cost as well. The design of the rubber gaskets (on the X) don't have to be as heavily compressed as the O while still keeping gunk out -
The 47 tooth would prob be a good thing with your bike imo. It's not going off road to much, I would not think and the longer legs may be nice to have on the road. I was going to go with 47 rear or a 15 front but decided to leave it stock. I'm about 70/30 dirt/road and the low end torque on these bikes is SO nice in the dirt.

Should add: I have only had to adjust the X ring chain ONE time in the 3 months I've had it (1000 miles) the stock chain was non stop stretching!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts