TW200 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight I had the honor of meeting up with "longroof" on his epic tour of the North East and beyond. What an accomplishment to log 50,000 miles on a TW. I was really excited to actually meet a fellow forum member and I was not disappointed his bike is pure utilitarian. Anyway I wish we could have spent more time together riding and trading stories but he will always be welcome in my neck of the woods.

Rubber side down.

Tom

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Gordon needs to write a book on his many travels aboard a Dub. As I've said before if you have a chance to meet him do so. The fact that He's been nice enough to call me on his progress has got me to thinking about about some T.W. tripping of my own.

·
Registered
13,421 Posts
I think longroof has been a forum member since 2007 from back in the old forum days.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Too bad he is not updating his ride thread so we can follow him. Turborob and his wife Kath will be here in NY on July 4 to begin their US tour from east to west.

These TW Wanderers should try to meet up at some point as they have a lot in common.

GaryL

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Too bad he is not updating his ride thread so we can follow him. Turborob and his wife Kath will be here in NY on July 4 to begin their US tour from east to west.

These TW Wanderers should try to meet up at some point as they have a lot in common.

GaryL
I should have been more informative in my post. He will be doing a ride report once he gets back. He does not want to post without pictures and is still working on uploading pictures inside his posts. I am beginning to think Tapatalk is the best solution for cell pics but he is using a dslr so a bit of fiddling is required.

Tom

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
I should have been more informative in my post. He will be doing a ride report once he gets back. He does not want to post without pictures and is still working on uploading pictures inside his posts. I am beginning to think Tapatalk is the best solution for cell pics but he is using a dslr so a bit of fiddling is required.

Tom
Understand that but he is blowing right past other members and missing some of the best parts of these adventures. Guess I will have to leave it that he prefers to be a loaner in his travels.

GaryL

·
Registered
457 Posts
Understand that but he is blowing right past other members and missing some of the best parts of these adventures. Guess I will have to leave it that he prefers to be a loaner in his travels.

GaryL
Not necessarily. I've taken long trips before and while the offer to meet up with other members is often appreciated, keep in mind that you are asking someone who is on vacation and taking a relaxing trip with no deadlines or dates, to suddenly commit to meeting up with someone who is working, at a predetermined time and place. It's a lot harder to 'wander' if you have to adhere to a schedule.

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not necessarily. I've taken long trips before and while the offer to meet up with other members is often appreciated, keep in mind that you are asking someone who is on vacation and taking a relaxing trip with no deadlines or dates, to suddenly commit to meeting up with someone who is working, at a predetermined time and place. It's a lot harder to 'wander' if you have to adhere to a schedule.
I totally agree with GapRunr on this one Gary. I did not get the impression at all that he preffered to be alone. I was however a great example of the sacrifices made both by him and myself to facilitate a meet between two members. Long story short he lost an honest hour or more waiting in my home town for me to get out of work and to him. Those were actually ideal circumstances as far as my job is concerned since it was a regular work day for me and I was on call all night. Not all those who wander are lost

Tom

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That TW sure is hauling a lot by the looks of it!
I threw a leg over it and it was much, much heavier than my close to stock bike. With the distances he is going I can appreciate the need to "pack a few thing's".

Tom

·
Registered
257 Posts
Hey all. I did post some time ago about my upcoming ride but only two members offered to meet up. I appreciate those responses! Many don't want the intrusion. Others welcome me like a long lost realitive. The first night of my ride by chance I was invited in to a home for dinner before setting up the tent in his hay field. His wife Debbie had prepared for the farm crew surgar cured ham, greenbeans, mac and cheese plus fresh baked rolls. One more mouth to feed to a passing stranger didn't bother her. He was a retired west virginia state trooper and a civil war reanactor as I was...both Yankee and Confederate depending on who needed me. Next night slept in a gazebo by a pond watching dragonflys defending their territory and barnswallows skimming the water's surface. That was in Pennsylvania. The farmer and i talked about antique tractors and farming that evening. Dryden Tdub went out of his way having his own tent setup with an air mattress and battery powered fan for my use. Table and chair too. I can't thank you enough. Got the rest I needed after a very hot tireing afternoon. Last evening boarded the overnight Nova Star Portland Maine to Yarmouth Nova Scotia ferry. Arrived in port at 8:00 am this morning. Been doing touristy stuff today and had a great meal with Dave from British Columbia (F800gs rider). Maple glazed salmon cooked on a cedar plank. Veggies and rice. Healthy stuff! Camping tonight with 18 other adventure riders discussing tomorrow's ride to New France...a ghost town. 200 kilometers of dirt and gravel involved. Or there are two other pavement rides. Sorry I don't post as I go. WiFi not available in orchards or fields. And I haven't grasped some of this modern electronic technology. I like traveling solo and with others too on occasion. My job at work involves a lot of decision making, planning, organizing, stragity, $ spending. So on these solo trips I take I only have to think for myself instead of a group. Home is wherever I pull off the road. People don't feel threatened by one person so I get to meet a lot of area residents through the communities I pass. And as always I have an empty studio apartment available for any forum member passing through town.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts