TW200 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this in the Classified section here posted by member greguw and thought one of us would jump on this beauty. After lots of thought and intrigue and no one stepping up I had to do it. It was a miserable drive from my home to Gregs that ended up being a full 8 hour round trip in bumper to bumper traffic but his bike is now in my garage and I hope I might get to keep this one because it is fully road legal and came with a real title.

Greg is a master builder of custom bikes and I can't believe he did not just keep this highly and very well built beast.

It is a 1998 Suzuki DR350 but rebuilt with lots of various parts from at least 4 or 5 different brand bikes, Suzuki, Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha and I am sure some other re fabricated parts and pieces. Very well appointed and lots of work went into this one for sure. I have not yet tossed my leg over it because I am dealing with a nasty back issue at the moment but Greg was kind enough to do a domo ride for me at pick up and all looks and seems fine with performance and function. I will name this baby "Trail Hopper" since the local trails I have around me require short hops on local roads of around 3-5 miles from my home and this one will be plated and road legal but will always be more happy off the pavement. I don't have to do a single thing that I can see so far because Greg did it all already. Well done sir!

Now if I can get my arthritis issues worked out and keep my pals with the green backs away from it I just might be back in the saddle for another couple years.

IMG_1950.JPG

IMG_1951.JPG

IMG_1953.JPG

IMG_1952.JPG

IMG_1954.JPG

Thank you Greg!

GaryL

·
Registered
612 Posts
I'm glad to read this, Mr. Gary. Hopefully saddle time will help, if not cure the back and Arthur issues.

Marty

Reactions: Jon62602 and GaryL

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm glad to read this, Mr. Gary. Hopefully saddle time will help, if not cure the back and Arthur issues.

Marty
Thanks Marty. Arthritis is a funny duck as we age. Some days good and others terrible. I just returned from a family reunion down in Hilton Head, SC and it was a 900 mile drive both ways in 5 days. The last thing I needed yesterday was another 8 hours of driving on a very sore hip and ass. Yes, activity does help a lot but today I will kick back and just relax and hope my leg feels better enough to toss it over the seat and go for a quick test ride. Sitting here at the kitchen table and looking out to the garage I can hear the bike calling to me so I better close the door.

GaryL

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Wow - nice addition! I can relate to your back and hip issues. Hope you get relief soon and get back to riding.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I saw this in the Classified section here posted by member greguw and thought one of us would jump on this beauty. After lots of thought and intrigue and no one stepping up I had to do it. It was a miserable drive from my home to Gregs that ended up being a full 8 hour round trip in bumper to bumper traffic but his bike is now in my garage and I hope I might get to keep this one because it is fully road legal and came with a real title.

Greg is a master builder of custom bikes and I can't believe he did not just keep this highly and very well built beast.

It is a 1998 Suzuki DR350 but rebuilt with lots of various parts from at least 4 or 5 different brand bikes, Suzuki, Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha and I am sure some other re fabricated parts and pieces. Very well appointed and lots of work went into this one for sure. I have not yet tossed my leg over it because I am dealing with a nasty back issue at the moment but Greg was kind enough to do a domo ride for me at pick up and all looks and seems fine with performance and function. I will name this baby "Trail Hopper" since the local trails I have around me require short hops on local roads of around 3-5 miles from my home and this one will be plated and road legal but will always be more happy off the pavement. I don't have to do a single thing that I can see so far because Greg did it all already. Well done sir!

Now if I can get my arthritis issues worked out and keep my pals with the green backs away from it I just might be back in the saddle for another couple years.

View attachment 200048

View attachment 200050

View attachment 200052

View attachment 200054

View attachment 200056

Thank you Greg!

GaryL
Wow cool bike Gary!! Looks like a sand monster. Very nice sir.
Cheers - Maury?

·
Registered
815 Posts
Wow that’s a machine. I’ve had good luck with Cannibus for arthritis. I still can’t walk too good but once on two wheels I’m good. But not real off road. Bumps n quick maneuvers quite counter productive. Picking up a Van Van Friday. The seat n position is perfect for me.
Is that unit street legal?

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
If that has a VIN on the frame Gary... Vermont is your friend.
You'll need to take a picture of it but JUST THE VIN, not a full picture of the bike. As far as they need to know it's a 1998 DR350, nothing else.

I lost my VT. plate about 5 weeks ago after I had the BW engine rebuilt. Took 3 weeks longer to get the replacement plate than it did to get the original plate, go figure.
Now I have it double-bolted into a metal plate holder and have a hidden safety cable on it under the fender. My fender has to break off now to lose it.

May be riding her on Saturday in the Pine Barrens. I've ridden a lot of different 2 wheelers and 3 wheelers on those trails but never anything like this.
I'll let you know how my own back is after that ride.

This used to be chrome bling when I had a Softail. Sanded/Primed/Painted/Clearcoated:

IMG_4437.jpg

IMG_4440.jpg

Reactions: littletommy

·
Registered
606 Posts
It looks scary. I love it. Frankenbike.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
gary,
if it gets you back in the saddle, well that's a great steed, many happy trails to follow.

btw: the speedo may indicate 100mph... i'd advise against it. ;)

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It is built on a fully titled DR350 frame and the title is signed sealed and delivered so I can easily get it registered right here in NY with no issue at all. No need to go the Vt. route. The only real issue I have is the seat height. I used to stand 5' 11" but think I have shrunk some at 68. I have a very hard time getting my leg high enough to get over the seat but once on it all is fine. I never have enjoyed a bike that I needed to be on my tippy toes to hold it up at a light. There might be a way I can lower it a little but I honestly have not yet investigated that possibility.

GaryL

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
gary,
if it gets you back in the saddle, well that's a great steed, many happy trails to follow.

btw: the speedo may indicate 100mph... i'd advise against it. ;)
Yes Joe, the speedo is there but the front wheel does not have the gearing to spin the speedo cable. Greg installed a very nice Trail Tech Endurance ll speed and trip indicator that gives me all sorts of good info like the time between service intervals and trip meter. It is winter here in these mountains so I won't get much seat time until spring but the short runs I have taken on it feel quite nice with great suspension and a soft seat that feels good. I do hope Greguw sticks around here on our forum because he sure is a master builder with lots of talent and also quite the perfectionist in his build quality. Not sure if he owns or ever has owned a TW but if he went to work on a TW it would be scary to see what he could do with one. I am simply amazed how he was able to marry all these parts from Suzuki, Kawasaki, Yamaha and Honda and come up with this masterpiece. More amazed that it is in my garage now. I still can't believe no other member here grabbed it but very happy I pulled the switch on it.

GaryL

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
On the license plate... I've been pulled over once now in N.Y. Just checking paperwork and patrolman curiosity. The VT. plate is a winner because the obvious non-DOT ATV tires would never, ever pass judgement or inspection in NY. So I never bothered transferring to NY and VT. gives carte blanc on any states streets & highways.

You know yourself that in NY after registering you have something like 30 days (maybe it's less at 10 days?) to get that more than visible Inspection Sticker attached to the frame or front forks. Otherwise...

Enjoy yourself. I'll be up to ride with you on these oddballs at some point.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
On the license plate... I've been pulled over once now in N.Y. Just checking paperwork and patrolman curiosity. The VT. plate is a winner because the obvious non-DOT ATV tires would never, ever pass judgement or inspection in NY. So I never bothered transferring to NY and VT. gives carte blanc on any states streets & highways.

You know yourself that in NY after registering you have something like 30 days (maybe it's less at 10 days?) to get that more than visible Inspection Sticker attached to the frame or front forks. Otherwise...

Enjoy yourself. I'll be up to ride with you on these oddballs at some point.
YUP! The tires are the only real drawback but I think I could get it inspected here. I have to go do some searching for DOT approved ATV tires in 22X11X9 and 25X8X11. Might be barking at the moon on this but maybe some company does make them in these sizes.

GaryL

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Cheaper to get Vt. plate at initially $30.00 & then $12.00 a year after than buy new tires. The ones on that little beast look excellent.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts