TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2007 Suzuki Boulevard S40.
Another single cylinder 4 stroke that has been in production and has remained relatively unchanged for years! Just a little bigger.
Does $3500.00 Canadian sound reasonable? 12589 kms, dealer serviced.
Thanks!

Reactions: jtomelliott49

·
Registered
762 Posts
2007 Suzuki Boulevard S40.
Another single cylinder 4 stroke that has been in production and has remained relatively unchanged for years! Just a little bigger.
Does $3500.00 Canadian sound reasonable? 12589 kms, dealer serviced.
Thanks!
I don't know prices in your region.

My advice is: Unless you have some commitment to a big thumper...DO NOT DO IT.

Here's my story. Thirty years ago, a far-younger me bought a Yamaha SR 500 as my first new bike. I was new to the world. I knew nothing.

The SR was a GOOD choice for a thumper. I didn't know it but I had scored. Especially given the price - $999 for a 1981 new, in 1986.

Seven months later, me and my new thumper get creamed.

BUT...while this was going on, Suzuki brought out the Savage, which is now called the S40. I liked the styling.

Years later...like, 2009...I got a chance to buy one. I thought, cheap. Turns out, not-so-cheap...those don't have dedicated owners.

I bought. Nothing spectacular about it...it wasn't a failure. But it was EXTREMELY limited. Top speed, about 80 mph...I'm guessing, 130 kpm.

With a carburetor, very balky when cold.

Not so powerful.

Honestly...it was like the engineering department abandoned that model.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input. I got a different feeling from some reading I did earlier, but hearing from someone who has owned one, and something to compare it to, is appreciated.

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
Look at the NEW Yamaha SR400. Fuel Injected, and is a great bike.
I actually agree with you BUT you left out how terribly overpriced that machine is for what it actually delivers. I will say maybe YOUR markets are different than mine but $6200 dollars is WAY overpriced for a machine that primarily is designed to walk you down memory lane. Hipsters seem to part with their money easier than normal folks. No I am not talking about you either Twilight. But I suppose I could be? Haven't met you yet.......

Tom

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah...no. A new bike is not in the cards. And I'm not sure I want fuel injection either, I am aware of all the advantages, but I'm still basically a newb with bikes. As a kid, dad always paid someone to do even the simplest maintenance. I'm enjoying immensely getting hands on with the TW. Was just looking for something a little bigger. Speed & power are pretty far down the list, actually.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Look at the NEW Yamaha SR400. Fuel Injected, and is a great bike.
Yes! The SR400, is actually my old SR 500 with a slightly-smaller engine and fuel injection.

It's not retro. It IS the same bike...Yamaha never stopped making them. When retro became kewel, Yamaha just put on FI for emissions and brought it over again.

Hope it does better than the 500 did.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Yeah...no. A new bike is not in the cards. And I'm not sure I want fuel injection either, I am aware of all the advantages, but I'm still basically a newb with bikes. As a kid, dad always paid someone to do even the simplest maintenance. I'm enjoying immensely getting hands on with the TW. Was just looking for something a little bigger. Speed & power are pretty far down the list, actually.
Then it might be that the S40 is the machine for you.

It's NOT a great bike; but it's got its place. As an inexpensive training model it's ideal. It's simple and bulletproof.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, it's a beauty! Obviously been well maintained, and comfortable! good Dog, I just sank into it and never wanted to get up.
Gonna sleep on it, keep the opinions coming!

·
Registered
762 Posts
Well, it's a beauty! Obviously been well maintained, and comfortable! good Dog, I just sank into it and never wanted to get up.
Gonna sleep on it, keep the opinions coming!
It sounds like it's a good choice, then.

If you can get it for a good price...run with it.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
My choice would be an older SR500. Not that easy to find, but that would be my choice. Kick start only, remember that. There's a nice original one in Dallas for two grand.

Reactions: GTG

·
Registered
762 Posts
My choice would be an older SR500. Not that easy to find, but that would be my choice. Kick start only, remember that. There's a nice original one in Dallas for two grand.
Those are insanely spendy. The SR 500 has become a collector's cycle.

I looked. I SO much wanted one; and I remembered how cheap I got my first. But while old bike prices fall like a rock...the SR, which dealers couldn't give away back in the day...have taken off.

You'd pay more for a non-restored, used, SR 500 than you would for a SR400 now.

·
Registered
422 Posts
GIG , I have owned and ridden a 1989 Suzuki Savage for 19 years. In now 56 years of riding I have never owned a bike that I enjoy riding so much. It puts out a mere 32 horsepower and likely will backfire like a fire cracker when you shut it down.
But it has style, lots of torque and enough grunt to get the job done. I have taken mine to Sturgis, Daytona and touring through the Rockies.
That price is about rmight I think.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I did look at one, only twice what the Suzuki is going for, but 12 years older! That wasn't the problem though, the ergonomics were just all wrong for me.

Reactions: ejfranz

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
GIG , I have owned and ridden a 1989 Suzuki Savage for 19 years. In now 56 years of riding I have never owned a bike that I enjoy riding so much. It puts out a mere 32 horsepower and likely will backfire like a fire cracker when you shut it down.
But it has style, lots of torque and enough grunt to get the job done. I have taken mine to Sturgis, Daytona and touring through the Rockies.
Thanks Polarpilot, that is the impression I had originally, from everthing I read. Nice to hear it from someone with nothing to gain by saying it!

Reactions: ejfranz

·
Registered
762 Posts
There ya go.

The real reason I sold mine, was...it didn't fit me. Just as GTG's ergonomics didn't fit the SR, I didn't fit in the Savage.

Beyond that, I was disappointed with the power - my Wee-Strom, also 650cc, has twice the power. I don't need wheelie-popping acceleration; but I had a need to do 80 on country backroads.

And the cold-start issue. That thing had to warm up about ten minutes before it was driveable.

But...other than that...I DID like the belt drive. And it was so ugly it was stylish - like a Jeep or the original VW Beetle. Fuel economy was about 47 mpg, which was acceptable.

I remember wishing there was some sort of FI conversion kit, or engine swap with FI. I did like that belt final drive. But, in the end...I needed something I fit in better.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Well, I did it.
And everything you all said was absolutely true.

image.jpeg

It's perfect.
I know most of you were trying to suggest I not get it, but you were actually describing exactly what I wanted.
So thanks for the honest input!

·
Registered
762 Posts
Well, I did it.
And everything you all said was absolutely true.

View attachment 29485

It's perfect.
I know most of you were trying to suggest I not get it, but you were actually describing exactly what I wanted.
So thanks for the honest input!
Hey...I understand the feeling.

I tend to have odd vehicle choices. In my past very-poor days, I used an old Postal Jeep as a gofer car. Its sole value was the low purchase price - and that NOTHING that could happen to it in a parking lot would matter a whit.

Later...I've owned a series of small bikes...the last one, of course, was the TW. Nearly bought a Grom before that - but the tiny wheels scared me off.

Those tiny machines, my TU250 of the past and others...were not for everyone, but they met my needs or wants at the time.

And this, as well, for you. Hope you get your money's worth out of it...seriously.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts