TW200 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are three used TW200's in my neck of the woods right now:

I'm 6'2" 165lbs I own a BMW R1200GS and want something small and fun to play in the sand with here in New Mexico. I've been watching YouTube videos and reading up on the forum all night, I have found three used TW200's in my area and am going to look at them over the next couple days, any buying suggestions and advice would be appreciated.

1) A 2015 with 85 miles on it, not stored inside, it's sun exposed and dirty. Woman owned, lowered seat (I'm tall, how hard is it to reverse the lowered seat?) Asking price is $3500
2) 2009 with 33,000 miles on it (what's the useful life of these bikes?) was owned by a commuter, asking $2000 already have them talked down to $1700.
3) 2000 with 9500 miles, new battery, tires, saddle, grips, last year with both kick and engine start, asking $2000 firm.

How much are these brand new? seems like if I can talk the 2015 owner down to $3000-3200 that might be the least hassle and best deal?

Nate

·
Super Moderator
17,974 Posts
$4039 for a new one here. http://tw200forum.com/forum/general-discussion/37377-new-2017-tws-$4039.html

There are three used TW200's in my neck of the woods right now:

I'm 6'2" 165lbs I own a BMW R1200GS and want something small and fun to play in the sand with here in New Mexico. I've been watching YouTube videos and reading up on the forum all night, I have found three used TW200's in my area and am going to look at them over the next couple days, any buying suggestions and advice would be appreciated.

1) A 2015 with 85 miles on it, not stored inside, it's sun exposed and dirty. Woman owned, lowered seat (I'm tall, how hard is it to reverse the lowered seat?) Asking price is $3500
2) 2009 with 33,000 miles on it (what's the useful life of these bikes?) was owned by a commuter, asking $2000 already have them talked down to $1700.
3) 2000 with 9500 miles, new battery, tires, saddle, grips, last year with both kick and engine start, asking $2000 firm.

How much are these brand new? seems like if I can talk the 2015 owner down to $3000-3200 that might be the least hassle and best deal?

Nate

·
Super Moderator
17,974 Posts
I think number 2 and 3 are too much. Number one depends on how weathered it is and if you can correct the seat.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
did lowering the seat entail shaving the foam, a new shock/spring combo or or drilling a new hole for the shock mount? might make a difference in your choice. shaved foam would only be replacing it with a seat concepts kit. $150+/-.

i agree with tommy: i wouldn't pay $1700 for a tdub with 33,000 miles.

·
Super Moderator
5,153 Posts
Take the third option - kickstart is worth $250 - tires are worth $250 - it all adds up, plus you get a bike that been used regularly without excessive miles on it ..... :cool:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The 33k one definitely needs work, tires, tune up, and who knows what else. Previous owner has wrapped the pegs in tape so thick I can't see the pegs at all.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I have a 2002 with 9000 miles on it and would trust it to go to Florida and back (and believe me I wouldn't want to get stuck in Florida). More to the question knowing my bike is in good condition, has good tires, etc. I would not take $2000 for it. I'd say the one you are looking at (bike #3) would be worth it if you can look the owner in the eye and determine that he has not trashed it and its maintained as you described. BTW, mines not for sale but its similar to the one you described. Belen, NM

BTW I just browsed all 3 ads and noted that Bike#3 says its not perfect. I'd look for what he/she is talking about. I'd also try a little lower, it can't hurt. Magdalena may not be a big bike market. Who wants a sunburned 5 year old bike when you can have a new one for only $500 more. Just thinking with you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Owner for the 2015 says its sold and the 2009 with 33k Mike's is off the list now too. Narrowed down the options. I'm not in a hurry either. Other than craigslist, where else do you guys look? Cycletrader?

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
The best deal is usually a TW that has not been extensively modified and has not been left outside for years without being ridden. A moderately used TW of 3 to 8 years old that has been maintained properly (with records) and kept indoors is the best bet.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
I would walk away from all three of those deals and keep looking for a real deal. A bike from the 1990s will have the kicker and no front disc brake but that would be my choice if you find a nice, well preserved one that was garage kept with low miles like under a few thousand and under $2 grand.

GaryL

·
Registered
7,102 Posts
I would have taken option #3. A little bit high but it seems the best deal.

I paid $1,100 for one '87 with 2400 miles and $400 for another '87 with 19,000 miles. First bike needed $100 and work to get it running well, the second bike needed about $500.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I would have taken option #3. A little bit high but it seems the best deal.

I paid $1,100 for one '87 with 2400 miles and $400 for another '87 with 19,000 miles. First bike needed $100 and work to get it running well, the second bike needed about $500.
I also have a BMW beast, not the newfangled electronics filled R1200GS, but the older, more mechanical, able-to-fix-it-on-the-road R1150GS Adventure. I also just got a T-Dub recently and love it very much. Mine was a 2010 with 2260 miles on it and it costed me $3400, and the condition was clean and like new in every way, very well cared for and stored in an airplane hanger. Mine was a bit high in price, but I still saved about $1000 for alike-new bike.

I agree that bang for the buck, Option 3 seems the best, but if you want to do zero maintenance and parts replacement for wear and tear just as soon as you get the bike, Option 1 will work if you 1) can afford it and it seems worth the money based on condition and 2) you expect to ride the hell out of it for many years to come.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts