TW200 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 95's source coil failed this morning. Ran great yesterday, weird. Anyway, I'd pay a fair price for a used one, don't want to spend the dough on a new one.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I ohmed it yesterday, incorrectly. Did some more reading and found the proper way to do it. Still bad. lol.
Looks like on the 88-98ish stators you measure resistance on the red wire to ground or center ring, not red to brown as manual states. Yellow to brown was 58ohms, green to white was 778ohms. my red to ground is registering as open, like a broken wire. I did it again with it taken apart, red wire right at the source coil to ground, still open. Looks like its toast. Went ahead and ordered a new one tonight. Needed a couple parts anyway. The yamaha manual was kinda useless for this.

·
Registered
42 Posts
You were using the '87 model information which was a unique animal. The '87 wiring is very different than all subsequent models. Be sure to use the wiring diagram in the Supplement at the end of the Service Manual for all your electrical troubleshooting. Measuring Red to ground is correct for the source coil and should be 590-720 ohm. Yellow to Brown sounds good as this is the CDI power coil. Green to White is the pickup or pulse coil and should be 650-790 ohm so your good there. Your source coil ground is a small black wire screwed onto the stator itself (see photo). Is that wire present and attached securely? View attachment 172386

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You were using the '87 model information which was a unique animal. The '87 wiring is very different than all subsequent models. Be sure to use the wiring diagram in the Supplement at the end of the Service Manual for all your electrical troubleshooting. Measuring Red to ground is correct for the source coil and should be 590-720 ohm. Yellow to Brown sounds good as this is the CDI power coil. Green to White is the pickup or pulse coil and should be 650-790 ohm so your good there. Your source coil ground is a small black wire screwed onto the stator itself (see photo). Is that wire present and attached securely? View attachment 172386
Your imagine isn’t showing up but sounds about right. The ground, like a two inch lead coming out of source coil and grounding to the stator body with a ring terminal right? It’s registering as open between that and the red wire on same coil on my tester and the other tests are in range. I’ll confirm my tests on the new one before I install it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,046 Posts
and the solution was? You found one? ?? ?

·
Super Moderator
4,046 Posts
I was going to say that pic didn't look at all like an 87... LOL. You fixed it all right! :)

Good for you :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts