TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for information on a tachometer.
Not the little electronic ones like a tiny tac
But a real motorcycle type of tachometer.
I understand this is not a necessity.
I just always liked having a tac on my bikes.
Heck my car and trucks have a tac too.
Has anyone found a tachometer that works
Well on the TW ? ?
One that is not a piece of junk..
I Know most will think it's just more over priced useless
Weight to bolt on to the T-dub...
If anyone has a good tac on their TW or good info on where to
Find one please share with me..
Mike

Reactions: Westieterrier

·
Super Moderator
6,036 Posts
There are few Chinese jobbies that will do this, the trouble is, the wiring tends to get complicated. I did once suggest the owner drilled a hole in the bottom and stuff the old bulb in there, but this was not well received

So the trick here is which one can you prove the wiring to …….

·
Registered
4 Posts
You could put a Trail Tech Vapor. Prob your best & easiest choice for durability & waterproofness

Any old school automotive tack that picks up on coil pulse would work but it wouldn't be waterproof or hold up to the abuse
Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You could put a Trail Tech Vapor. Prob your best & easiest choice for durability & waterproofness

Any old school automotive tack that picks up on coil pulse would work but it wouldn't be waterproof or hold up to the abuse
The vapor looks awesome but I didn't see a listing for the tw200
Mike

·
Super Moderator
6,036 Posts
They’re all much of a muchness, and take the signal from the HT coil – you can programme them for single or double pulse. The problem starts when it comes to lighting them up ……

·
Registered
4 Posts
The vapor looks awesome but I didn't see a listing for the tw200
Mike
They are quite universal, many install options. I have had friends that went with the Vapor on our street plated eundro bikes. I always went with a older model called the Vector which went with a lap timer in lieu of the tachometer. I'm not sure what the tack requires but I'm sure it could be done. Their technical service department is wonderful I bet you if ya give them a call they could run through options with you.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
You can have my old tach for the cost of shipping. You are just wiring up worthless rattling junk. Just shift when the mirrors shake. The only purpose for a tach is if you are goal oriented and you want to keep it there until the right fall breaks it. It is fun to mount and wire and look at at night when it lights up...then it dawns on you...this is stupid. Save your money for doubletake mirrors

·
Registered
765 Posts
Looking for information on a tachometer.
Not the little electronic ones like a tiny tac
But a real motorcycle type of tachometer.
I understand this is not a necessity.
I just always liked having a tac on my bikes.
Heck my car and trucks have a tac too.
Has anyone found a tachometer that works
Well on the TW ? ?
One that is not a piece of junk..
I Know most will think it's just more over priced useless
Weight to bolt on to the T-dub...
If anyone has a good tac on their TW or good info on where to
Find one please share with me..
Mike
Closest to the old one as I could find.

Reactions: Workingman

·
Registered
101 Posts
I've been running a KOSO one for a while. It was advertised as black, but a chrome one showed up. Too much hassle to rtn so I went ahead and installed it. Works great. Finding power for it was simple - just used the switched 12v feed from the front running lights in the turn signals (I used one from one side, the other side was used for the DRL in the JNS headlight).

Attachments

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
You can have my old tach for the cost of shipping. You are just wiring up worthless rattling junk. Just shift when the mirrors shake. The only purpose for a tach is if you are goal oriented and you want to keep it there until the right fall breaks it. It is fun to mount and wire and look at at night when it lights up...then it dawns on you...this is stupid. Save your money for doubletake mirrors
Yes !! How is a tach on a 200cc bike while doing the TAT going to help? :cool:

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes !! How is a tach on a 200cc bike while doing the TAT going to help? :cool:
It won't help much but it will help on long down hill runs.
It will help to keep from running the guts out of the motor.
The RPM can really get up there coming down the mountains.
There's a difference between running at redline RPM and over revving the engine.
Plus a nice tachometer just gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside.

·
Registered
21,499 Posts
I get that fuzzy feeling feedback simply from engine vibration as it approaches redline thus no need to quantify it with a number from a tach.
However when I do desire a number the little $10 induction tach does just as well as the $150 Trail Tec Vapor, just lacks a backlight. They sit almost next to each other.
The Vapor does provide other nice numbers like time, time in operation, ambient temp, engine temp, speed, average speed, etc but is distractingly bright at night .
Unless one needs a mechanical driven tach all the induction devices will feature about the same inherent lag time & floating values in a liquid crystal display. The steam guage style's indicator needles dance less but come in a fairly large housing for installation on our cramped TWs.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've been running a KOSO one for a while. It was advertised as black, but a chrome one showed up. Too much hassle to rtn so I went ahead and installed it. Works great. Finding power for it was simple - just used the switched 12v feed from the front running lights in the turn signals (I used one from one side, the other side was used for the DRL in the JNS headlight).
This may be the way I go...

·
Registered
204 TW200, Jets 'n Shims, DGV2, Acerbis Guards, ProTaper KX, JNS LED BLK
281 Posts
Anyone know anything about the tach on this project bike? My Japanese is a little rusty.

http://instagr.am/p/COT_lhBsJo6/

This looks nice - like it’s meant to be.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
"I tried embedding the fog indicator lamp that I installed the other day in the meter
I had a hard time disassembling the meter, but the work after that is easy"

"I have to pry open the non-disassembled meter and the positioning of the lamp is quite close, so it's troublesome ~
But the basics are just drilling holes, fixing and wiring, so it's a really easy task"

·
Registered
281 Posts
Ok, thanks. I was kinda joking re: Japanese - familiar with the translate options.

What I was actually after is if anyone recognizes the tachometer he used?
Year/make/model bike it's from?

That's the main breadcrumb to find - the rest would be pretty easy to figure out, I imagine.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Anyone know anything about the tach on this project bike? My Japanese is a little rusty.

http://instagr.am/p/COT_lhBsJo6/

This looks nice - like it’s meant to be.
From the Japanese TW owner:

If anyone knows offhand what in USA would be compatible equivalent with ‘82-83 XT200 (Japan) RPM sensor & cable, plse share the knowledge.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Someone recently found Amazon analog tachs that worked fine for the TW200. They had to sort out the wiring but got it and posted it maybe a month or so ago. If you find that thread, I'm sure it would be just what you are looking for. I'll try to find it as well and get back to you.

·
Registered
281 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts