TW200 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello! I hoping someone can help me.

I have purchased and received the "red spring" from Procycle (as well as stiffer fronts) and I am going to make a DIY spring compressor from steel. My metal buddy is going to make me the piece that holds back the spring around the retaining clip. He wants to know the exact size he should drill the hole. I'm hoping to find out the diameter of the retainer so I don't have to remove everything to measure it myself. I ride it everyday!

I searched for a replacement part hoping to find the specs on it but haven't found anything at all. If anyone happens to know the size or if you've made one yourself I'd appreciate it. Thanks very much.

EDIT- I am a woodworker and could easy make my own part from some crazy strong wood, or 1-1/2" plywood or similar. I don't have much experience with this sort of thing and I like to err on the side of safety but I have a hard time believing my own fine wooden-crafted, low tolerance, unit wouldn't suffice. Any thoughts on that?

·
Registered
6,060 Posts
Hi Jiggy,

I am not clear on exactly what diameter that you are looking for. Take a look at the pictures below and see if you could maybe indicate exactly what diameter it is that you want measured?

Thanks,

Brian

100_4733.JPG

100_4993.JPG

IMG_3294.JPG

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am not clear on exactly what diameter that you are looking for.......

Brian,

Thanks for the help. And trust me I came across your solution in my searches and it's really cool. As I said I am a woodworker and that is my go to bailout when I need something custom. I've long been envious of the metal guys. Unless I am misunderstanding something, I am looking for the diameter hole I need to slip the top end of the shock assembly through- small enough to catch the spring and large enough to clear the spring retainer.

Here's the pic top down from Procycle.

So essentially I am trying to find out the diameter of this retainer

I am making something similar to this

Thanks again Brian

·
Registered
6,060 Posts
Now I understand. I do not have a loose rear shock to measure. All I could find was the two piece retainer from a 1987-2000 rear shock which should effectively be the same diameter as the retainer on the newer shocks. Here is what I measured as the outer diameter of the retainer (s). I also measured the outer diameter of the stock spring (yellow) to be approximately 3.13".

I hope this helps.

Brian

IMG_3297(3).JPG

·
Registered
280 Posts
TWBrian’s setup worked perfect when he swapped out my two yellow springs for two red ones a few years back. Great improvement for me and my 200+ pound friends when we take the bikes out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Well guys, I thought I'd offer an update as I'm grateful for the help I've received and perhaps this can help someone down the road.

The few DIY solutions I came across all had the same fault IMO and that was that they weren't attached to any sort of base. You could pick the entire setup up in your hands. What I took from TW-Brian's awesome setup was the idea of stability or having a fixed based of some sort. Luckily for me I had just replaced my tool trailer tires and had the old one laying around. It gave me the idea to use it as the base. As I stated before I'm a wood guy so the rest was easy. I cut a round piece of 3/4 plywood to nest inside the inner rim of the steel wheel, drilled 3/8" matching holes, and routed a relief to accept the top of the spring.

I drilled a 3" hole based on TW-Brian's caliper measurement of the older model spring retainer. The new one is definitely smaller, I think a 2-7/8 hole would have been ideal for the newer retainer but it wasn't an issue at all and this was the exact measurement I needed. A big thanks the Brian. The spring itself is closer to 3-3/16. While not a ton of clearance I felt confident having the steel rim backing the plywood.

Then I glued two more squares of 3/4 plywood together, drilled matching 3/8" holes and chiseled a small notch the receive the top end of the spring assembly. I sandwiched it all together with 3/8" threaded rod. I used three rods because it was a five lug pattern and it wasn't possible to directly oppose two rods.

IMG_1791.JPG

It worked perfectly and felt incredibly safe.

I also replaced the front springs at the same time and the weirdest part of the entire process was seeing my TW like this.

IMG_1822.JPG

Put it all back together and was able to test it the same day. Overall a bumpier ride but I am much more confident in general. Thanks again for the help!

·
Registered
6,060 Posts
Hey Jiggy,

Congrats on your success and thanks for following up with the details of how you did it using wood and standard hardware, without the need for metal machining or welding. Brilliant idea to use that trailer wheel also, otherwise it would have been pretty sketchy trying to hold that setup in your lap while trying tighten those three nuts evenly to compress those springs.

Well done!

Brian

1 - 8 of 8 Posts