TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I'm getting a used '04 TW from a friend here in a few days and it will need new tires. I will use it mainly for commuting to work which doesn't require driving across the Baja or fording rivers.
What would be a good front and rear tire that's not insanely expensive and won't pass out on the first dirt road it hits? From all of the threads I've read about tires on here, the Kenda K270 gets good reviews for the front, but I'm not sure if it's too aggressive for the street.

Also, I like to do most things myself, (with your guys's help of course!) can I change the tires myself with some tire irons? And do they need to be professionally balanced? Thanks so much for any advice!

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
The Kenda is a great tire. In my opinion, I don't think its too aggressive for the street. Your options are pretty limited for the rear.

Changing the tire isn't too difficult. I watched many videos on YouTube before I tackled mine. I prefer to use three spoons. Sprinkle a little baby powder into the tire before you put the tube in, that will make sure the tube can slide around inside the tire while you put the tire on the rim.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
TW34 rear, and Kenda K270 or Shinko 244 front. My experience is that the TW34 will outlast the TW204, is shy only when dragging footpegs, and is justly proud off pavement. The TW203 sucks off pavement. Both the Kenda or Shinko will put a smack down on a TW32 on any surface.

Reactions: BikeNerd21

·
Registered
453 Posts
this is a good thread! I found I was quite confident on the 203 204 combination in the dry on the streets , was thinking it was great fun throwing the bike around turns, but those bridgestones scared me a bit in the wet - felt I was loosing the front - i had my foot down on the first sharp left I took - was a scary moment! they dont have the wet grip that say the BT016 have ( apples and oranges perhaps! )

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, thanks for the replies! I'll go with the Kenda K270 for the front and the TW34 for the rear then. Is the stock size good then, or is it popular to run a different size here?

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
130/80-18, 120/90-19, or 5.10-18 on the front.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
130/80-18, 120/90-19, or 5.10-18 on the front.

Pros or cons for the above numbers? I'm probably not going to be doing any serious trail riding or sand shoveling.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Pros or cons for the above numbers? I'm probably not going to be doing any serious trail riding or sand shoveling.
All else being equal, not much difference.

5.10in = 129.54mm

5.10 = 100 cross section--tallest of the 3

130/80 = 80 cross section--wide as 5.10, not quite as tall

120/90 = 90 cross section--slightly narrower than 5.10 and 1.30, but same height as 130/80

Theoretically, anyway. Manufacturers often don't run close to claimed size in the real world.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Only off road I do is flat and all sand and they do fine. They float over the soft sand and don't dig in. But for me it's 99% street. I would not run em if I did mud or hill climbs. They should be fine in dirt or grass fields and stuff. Good luck -

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Dirt tires work much better on the street than street tires work in the dirt. Better to err toward the aggressive tread.

TW203 and TW204 are extremely slippery on wet asphalt when brand new, first rain in 6 weeks, riding into downtown Fort Worth on I35. Definately scrub the tires well before dragging footpegs on Tail of the Dragon.

Best option would be a second front wheel with a dedicated dirt tire for dirt riding. The 204 is much better in the dirt than the 203--the 203 washes out easily in gravel and mud.

·
Registered
453 Posts
and maybe washing out in wet ness?

cant get any 203/204 in my region,

can get tw 31.

are they better than shinko in the street.. i noticed my wife is doing some pretty good leans sometimes.

the shinko look to be quite similiar to the 203/204..

the other option is the dunlop? they look like grass track tires,

any more thoughts?

thanks

·
Registered
352 Posts
Thanks for these nuggets. Am off to buy a new tire tomorrow (see the slow flat thread)and this helped me a lot.

Malcolm

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
I like the look of the Dunlops, but we can't get them here. The 203 sucks on grass.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I guess if you're on pavement 90% of the time then tread noise is a big factor against the stock tire. But then I'd rather put in ear plugs than slide when hitting some grass or some mud. Is it true that one can get a TW rear tire changed out at any car tyre bay since they're the same size?

That could mean that if one is wanting to do a long road trip you could switch tyres by simply popping the back wheel off at a garage and have it changed by their machines. So then carrying a spare might be an option for a long trip.

Malcolm

·
Registered
352 Posts
The TW 34 is not here yet, but the discontinued TW 32 is still here (well only one)and is being fitted as we speak. There is also a Kenda that looks like the TW 304 in stock at the general dealership for the equivalent of $82 fitted. Since it is also a one off, am going to buy it and look out for a spare rim. Will put it on in the dry winter season and have the aggressive 32 on for the wet spring and summer. That way I should have the best of both worlds and be able to carry a spare for long trips. Now to find a spare rim . . . but failing that, my question stands, is it true that car garages can change TW rear tires?

Malcolm

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
I would not ride a TW32 on the street. Check the date code, it's probably over 10 years old.

·
Registered
352 Posts
That's the thing qwerty. Gotta go with what I got. The TW 34 has not made its way here (South Africa), or at least to any dealers close by. The Chen Shin's lasted so long that they stayed on the bikes which work mostly on farms. So this 32 is a rarity and grabbed it because where I am I go straight up into the mountains on dirt and down into the tracks where the rivers run and I fish. Casting around the net I find reports of the 34 being wanting at times as is any GP tool. So decided instead of fitting something else like an ATV tire, just get the 32 which is a few years on the shelf but from a UV free & temp stable spot in the shop and is inlikely to be gassed and not going to be stressed by the output of the TW. In the dry months I will take to the pavement but it will be dry and will switch the 32 just to save it for when I need the tread. Of course mother nature can switch seasons in one day so there lies the beauty of the 34 which is not available to me right now. But still I reckon that if caught out with the wrong tire adjust your riding. I rode with a GP like the 34 on my Honda for many years but also had to choose my route carefully, now the 32 will give me confidence to take the road less travelled more often. Also, try riding a mountain bike with grippy treaded tires on the pavement and see how much more tired you get than peddling with slick or semi slick tires on the same bike, same route. I reckon that if we factor in tire type into MPG and surface ridden then some of the other threads might make more sense.

Malcolm

·
Registered
254 Posts
Thought I should give my 2cents worth as I have a couple thousand street miles on my K270. Still running the original TW34 rear w/10,000 miles on it, great tire! I feel the TW31 is better than the k270 for street riding except for the mind numbing noise. K270 is WAY mo better on gravel roads. I ride 55 to 60mph a lot and the K270 is not as stable at speed as the TW31. I tried all pressures and 33psi works best as far as stability in cross or head winds. qwerty, as you said it did get better after 500 miles. Today I did actually drag the side of my boot for the fist time with the Kenda. Don't get me wrong, the K270 is a OK road tire, just not very confidence inspiring. The TW31 is stable and neutral on asphalt and horrible off pavement. If you like the K270 I would recommend trying the IRC GP1, this is the tire Kenda cloned to make the 270. According to the KLR folks it has none of the K270's bad road habits. May be the tire I will try next. These are just my impressions mainly from my 44 mile round trip commute which includes freeway, city, country, twisties, hills,and some days a lot of wind.

regards, mac

1 - 20 of 29 Posts