TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
I heard 55s are hard to find right now.

Reactions: Snow Fox

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
why not go to a 13 or 12 tooth front less expensive and usually readily available

You can even go to an 11 tooth front and each front tooth eqates to aorx 3.5 rear teeth and uses the same chain length

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You're right about a front sprocket being cheaper, but nothing wears out a chain faster than a small countershaft sprocket--and that is a handy way to regear using an existing chain. I'm buying a chain anyway, but thanks for your suggestion.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
There a 55 tooth on FLEABAY right now ☺
mike from NC

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
I've heard the wears out chain faster but chains are pretty cheap and how much faster are we talking I've owned a few TW's and have never seen a worn out chain from smaller front sprockets only from over all miles usually 1000 to 2000 miles on a stock chain and a DiD X-ring is usually good for 5000 miles

I guess I don't believe the chain knows the difference between 12, 13 or 14 tooth sprockets ( I speak in a whisper while changing sprockets so my chain doesnt hear lol) and if you ride so much you are wearing out chains a Scottoiler will solve any such issues

·
Registered
2004 TW200
204 Posts
Just for info. I am about to order a new chain and a 50T rear sprocket from Rockymountain. It looks like they have a pretty good supply of sprockets. I did not look for a 55T like you are looking for but it might be worth a look. The 50T is $20 which seems reasonably priced.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts