TW200 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I am a new member so I'm not sure if I'm doing this right but here goes nothing! I just picked up a 1987 TW200 with 2,500 miles on it the other day for what I think is a fairly reasonable price. I honestly couldn't find anything to nitpick to bring the price down, however it does not have the rear rack on it and I just love how the rack makes the bike look. So the question at hand is whether or not anyone on here has an OEM rack I could purchase. I would imagine that any model would fit but like I said I'm new to this so any help would be appreciated! The part number is ABA-2JY51-00-00 I believe. So if anyone has one for sale, regardless of condition for a fair price (unlike Amazon or Ebay) let me know!

Thanks in advance for your guys help,

Ted

·
Registered
311 Posts
Welcome from Vancouver Island, BC! Good luck with your rack search. If you're considering alternatives, Manracks, Cycleracks and Happy Trail make popular racks for the TW that can carry a considerable load.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I would def say look into aftermarket racks. The factory rack don't hold much weight. The man racks have small size one's if that's what you want. Cycle racks seems to be the most popular but also the largest.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would def say look into aftermarket racks. The factory rack don't hold much weight. The man racks have small size one's if that's what you want. Cycle racks seems to be the most popular but also the largest.
Ive been looking into aftermarket racks but as always, price is a factor for me. I do like the happytrails rack partnered with a rotopax mount for hauling a modular gas tank but I'm going to wait to see if anyone has any used alternatives before I go through with that. Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome from Vancouver Island, BC! Good luck with your rack search. If you're considering alternatives, Manracks, Cycleracks and Happy Trail make popular racks for the TW that can carry a considerable load.
Thanks for your input and warm welcome! I just looked into those alternatives and am liking what I see. I will wait to see if anyone has a used one before buying one new, can't justify paying full price just yet!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a new take-off OEM rack for sale. I would sell it for 80.00 shipped if you're interested.
It retails for about 145.00

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a new take-off OEM rack for sale. I would sell it for 80.00 shipped if you're interested.
It retails for about 145.00
I will PM you and we can discuss further details. Thanks!

·
Registered
19,413 Posts
Nice offered deal on the Yamaha rack, most affordable new I have seen is ~$128 not including shipping.
It is not original equipment though, the OEM unit is the 8 lb rated rubbery plastic load plate seen below the rack.
Yamaha's compact TW rack does look rather nice. rack.jpg

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice offered deal on the Yamaha rack, most affordable new I have seen is ~$128 not including shipping.
It is not original equipment though, the OEM unit is the 8 lb rated rubbery plastic load plate seen below the rack.
Yamaha's compact TW rack does look rather nice. View attachment 179370
Thanks for the clarification! I'm a tad bit off when it comes to terminology, I figured the rack was an add on from Yamaha meaning it was OEM. It appears aznewfy is talking about the actual metal rack so I'm glad he was on the same page as me! I've sent payment for the rack and look forward to putting this thread to rest!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Welcome,
TW's didn't come stock with racks. But a nice after market rack can be had by Pro Cycle (541) 688-9543 from $89.95, the rack for $129.95 is wider than most and has hand rails, but the best part is if the bike goes over the rack takes the scratches not costly OEM parts. They have a good selection of other TW accessories with fair prices.
Happy trails,

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Welcome,
TW's didn't come stock with racks. But a nice after market rack can be had by Pro Cycle (541) 688-9543 from $89.95, the rack for $129.95 is wider than most and has hand rails, but the best part is if the bike goes over the rack takes the scratches not costly OEM parts. They have a good selection of other TW accessories with fair prices.
Happy trails,
Thank you for that tidbit of information, I've made the deal with the member who offered the rack for 80 plus shipping already. If I end up requiring something with more functionality I will surely visit Pro Cycle. Thanks again!

Ted

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the OEM rear rack, I bought it from Rocky Mountain ATV, $95 with free shipping.
It's a sturdy rack, well made and fits great, and it looks good on the TW.
I don't carry anything heavy when I ride, so the 8lb. limit works fine for me.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have the OEM rear rack, I bought it from Rocky Mountain ATV, $95 with free shipping.
It's a sturdy rack, well made and fits great, and it looks good on the TW.
I don't carry anything heavy when I ride, so the 8lb. limit works fine for me.
I will have to let you know if I need a rack after I find out if I purchased the correct item from the member mentioned above. Feel free to PM me with pictures in the mean time.

Thanks,

Ted

·
Registered
19,413 Posts
Ted, it seems you are getting a good rack at a good price.
The conservative 8 lbs is just for the plastic plate mounted on the rear fender, or "cowl", that comes stock on the bike; not for the black metal rack offered through Yamaha. It should have a reasonable weight bearing capacity. It seems as strong, or stronger, than the subframe it attaches to. Either the sub-frame to frame mounting tabs, or the sub-frame's cross member will be the expected weak link to fail if the rack is overloaded. If you ride on bumpy roads the dynamic loading on the rack goes way up from just the static load measured in pounds. For example a CycleRack that can accept more than a hundred pounds on a city street if ridden with 25 lbs of gear bouncing on a challenging jeep trail will start to fracture welds in short order.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks Fred for posting a photo of the Yamaha TW rear rack, that is the exact rack I'm shipping out to Teddy Bang Bang
I believe Yamaha recommends a max load of 15 lbs. because it uses the turn signal attachment points for partial support.
Still a very solid rack for a tail bag and can probably haul a lot more than 15 lbs for short trips.

·
Registered
19,413 Posts
The thing to remember with all these racks is that they all tie into a portion of the bike designed to be a weak sacrificial link ...the sub-frame. The TW subframe sure seems designed to accept destructive loads and fail before transferring deformation to the frame proper thus saving more expensive repairs in the event of a minor crash. I have seen many failed TW sub-frames. Three of us suffered them at Moab 2016, two by riders riding together both appearently hitting the same proverbial "straw that broke the camels back" . One had the subframe bend up, the other had frame members fracture.
Sure, some may say "Wait Fred, the CycleRack attaches to the rear frame mounted foot peg mounts!". Well, those attachment points just act as pivot points with bending moments and compressive forces focused on the under seat subframe cross member. Up-grading that crossmember helps increase load bearing capacity but the subframe the cross member is part of still remains the weak link.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for your insight, Fred. I don't plan on doing anything too technical with the rack, as I've stated before I really just like how it looks and plan on holding some miscellaneous tools and such on it. If the time comes where I would need something more durable I would surely invest in a sturdy aftermarket model, but for now I think I should be fine with the rack Ive purchased.

Thanks again for your input,

Ted

1 - 19 of 19 Posts