TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to the forum and failing to keep myself from spending a HUGE amount of time learning more about my recently purchased 1996 TW200.

This is my first bike restoration, and with parts being very expensive at my local bike shops (KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa) I need some help/guidance where to buy parts internationally. As an example a new rear shock will cost R5000 (US$350) almost US$200 more expensive than ebay prices. No way shipping and import will be that expensive?

Parts I need to get bike registered on my name before I start with a complete resto (apart from consumables/filters which I'll buy locally):
Rear shock
Left and right controls

Any advice and/or sharing lessons learnt will be greatly appreciated.

I'm stripping the bike this weekend to compile a 'more-complete' parts list I'll need :)

·
Super Moderator
17,943 Posts
Welcome to the forum!! :D

We do have a member in South Africa named Cornelis that may be able to help you. He would know better than most of us here in the U.S. He may see your post or you can Personal Message him. He's here most everyday. Good luck, keep us posted please on how it goes.

***You should be able to click on his name and go directly to his profile page.

Hi, I'm new to the forum and failing to keep myself from spending a HUGE amount of time learning more about my recently purchased 1996 TW200.

This is my first bike restoration, and with parts being very expensive at my local bike shops (KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa) I need some help/guidance where to buy parts internationally. As an example a new rear shock will cost R5000 (US$350) almost US$200 more expensive than ebay prices. No way shipping and import will be that expensive?

Parts I need to get bike registered on my name before I start with a complete resto (apart from consumables/filters which I'll buy locally):
Rear shock
Left and right controls

Any advice and/or sharing lessons learnt will be greatly appreciated.

I'm stripping the bike this weekend to compile a 'more-complete' parts list I'll need :)

·
Registered
613 Posts
Hi there from Centurion and welcome to the forum! ! !

In the first place I just want to let you know that there is someone living close-by to you in Durban who is also a member of the forum who you can contact with regards to spares, his name is Mr. Paynter and you just have to click on the link to go to his profile page

View Profile: Mr.Paynter - Yamaha TW200 Forum

My main source for parts is my local Yamaha dealer and yes it is expensive but with the original parts you always know that they're also the best possible quality.

You can get a brand new shock from partzilla.com in the US for US$220 plus the shipping cost of US$58 = US$278 (Click Here) to have a look

The TW is a straightforward bike to work on and I'm sure that you are going to enjoy this project!

What do you mean with left and right controls that you want to replace, do you mean the actual flicker light units?

·
Super Moderator
17,943 Posts
I am sure someone here has a spring sitting on a shelf somewhere that could send it to you... :confused:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi there from Centurion and welcome to the forum! ! !

In the first place I just want to let you know that there is someone living close-by to you in Durban who is also a member of the forum who you can contact with regards to spares, his name is Mr. Paynter and you just have to click on the link to go to his profile page

View Profile: Mr.Paynter - Yamaha TW200 Forum

My main source for parts is my local Yamaha dealer and yes it is expensive but with the original parts you always know that they're also the best possible quality.

You can get a brand new shock from partzilla.com in the US for US$220 plus the shipping cost of US$58 = US$278 (Click Here) to have a look

The TW is a straightforward bike to work on and I'm sure that you are going to enjoy this project!

What do you mean with left and right controls that you want to replace, do you mean the actual flicker light units?
Thanks! I'll connect with Mr.Paynter ASAP.
Regarding the controls: Both units are very worn and the flicker switch is not working...though I might change it as part of the resto. I mean I'll use them every time I use my bike, might as well make it a joy :)

I fell in love with this bike after taking my friends' TW for a ride (my profile picture at Karkloof Falls). Really enjoying the process of restoring.

Much appreciated!

·
Registered
13,642 Posts
I don't have any spare parts you are currently looking for, but if ever need anything post up here so we can all take a look in our spare parts storage stashes. Could never guarantee a used part from the U.S. with shipping would ever be cheaper than buying local in your country but you never know. Welcome to the forum and good luck with your TW & parts search!

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
lagoonrekkie when I bought my 99 TW200 in 2010 I heard about a shock recall so called my local dealer and they told me to bring it in for a new shock even though I did not have a problem. Can not hurt to ask your local Yamaha dealer.

·
Super Moderator
17,943 Posts
+++1 ^^^

Great of you to bring that up Pete. I remember reading (I think? :confused:) that that recall wasn't honored in the U.S. I know it was in Canada for sure though. You are so right brother, he should ask!! :icon_thumbright:

lagoonrekkie when I bought my 99 TW200 in 2010 I heard about a shock recall so called my local dealer and they told me to bring it in for a new shock even though I did not have a problem. Can not hurt to ask your local Yamaha dealer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good advice, unfortunately after my disassembly I noted two poorly weld repairs to the frame which resulted in the shock not working in a straight line and subsequently failed. So now it's stripping the bike to its frame and straightening... The bike will no doubt look amazing after I'm done but it sure is putting up a fight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
334 Posts
Hey @LagoonRekkie!

Welcome from Durban, always nice to have some extra guys around
Sorry for my delayed response, work has kept me under the whip the last few months!

How is your whole process coming? Don't lose hope, it's so hard to get the bits you need and find reliable mechanics etc. out here but it'll be so worth it once you're done!
Whereabouts are you based? I am in Durban North.

I am not sure if you've looked or seen it but I have had one eye on this ad on Gumtree:
https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-motorcycles-scooters/ilembe-dolphin-coast/tw-200-yamaha/1001785103880911006419109

I *think* it is the same poster who was looking for R4500.00 for a complete farm bike and some spares a while back.
I have been debating offering him R3000.00 for the lot just to have a second bike to cannibalise (or custom) but if it will get your bike back to life, go for it!
He does also have scrapping papers so I believe you could re-register if you'd like.

Feel free to be in touch if you need anything at all!

I also have the Service Manuals if you haven't downloaded them yet, and I have mine printed out and bound which is handy in the garage if you need to borrow it.
I bought my 'dub back in 2012 new so she has no real issues bar some surface rust as yet.

·
Registered
613 Posts
OK, LagoonRekkie and Mr. Paynter and everyone else on the forum - you guys are not going to believe this but there is someone that wants to get rid of 5 TW's for only R50(3 US Dollars) ! ! ! !

Click Here to go to the advertisement on the web.

Unfortunately I'm not able to go and fetch the bikes because I don't have anywhere to put them but maybe one of you guys will be able to do it, the only problem is that Parys, Free State is about 600 km(375 miles) away from where you guys are living but maybe you can arrange a pick-up truck to go and fetch the bikes.

Just think about it - all the bikes still have their engines ans gearboxes fully intact which is already worth a small fortune!:D

·
Registered
613 Posts
For the rest of you over in the US and in the UK, its going to cost a lot of money and getting through a lot of red tape to get the parts that you want to be shipped from South Africa via a courier to where you are . . .

This is really a difficult situation:(

·
Super Moderator
17,943 Posts
Top Predator (Rick) has a wheel with a drum brake he is offering to give away in the "Freebie" thread in the classifieds...?? Drum or Disc both work about the same with no clear advantage one over the other...
Damn I need one of those disc front ends so bad.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts