TW200 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy y’all. I’ve been looking at the tw200 a lot lately and I’m pretty much sold on it but before purchasing one I just want a little insight from actual riders.
I just want a bike that can get me to and from work, which is at a farm, it’s only a 5 mile road to work and I want to be able to ride it around the farm. It’s all dirt roads at the farm and although they can get fairly steep they are well compacted. I’m about 6’0 tall and 180 pounds. I want to be able to lug around occasional tools and stuff from time to time. Do you think the tw200 would be able to handle this? Appreciate any help. Thank you!

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
For what you are going to do with it this sounds like the perfect bike. Since you are taller though there may be a few add ons you would like to do such as the taller risers. These bikes require low amounts of actual repairs. I am over 46,000 miles on it now and I have spent the least money keeping this bike on the road. I do small jaunts on mine and I think it is great.

·
Registered
20,206 Posts
Ken sure has the experience. I agree with him that your needs and the TW200 seem like a good match.
For farm use the TW's low set height , electric start & ability to lug tools and gear around are hard to beat in a street legal bike. With a rack one can haul or drag surprising loads.
While I have a tractor and pick-up trucks my TWs still get to do their share of light ranch work like dragging off brush piles a month ago.
brush drag.jpg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Fred that’s impressive to see it haul a brush pile. Yea you don’t always need a truck or tractor so it’ll be nice to save on some gas and wear and tear on the bigger vehicles. Thanks for sharing guys

·
Registered
487 Posts
Obsidian Goat,
Well Sir, I'm 67 years old, 6' 2.5" tall and at present, about 242 lbs. And I'm by far, not the only one on this sight that has those specs or, close to them. The TW IS a tractor bike. One can lug it around on the farm, on trails, hills, washes, and more and, still make it run down the road at anywhere from 40-60 mph, depending on how much one feels it is safe to run at. I myself, don't like pushing that TW past about 45 but, that's just me. I'm running stock gearing of 14T front sprocket and a 50T rear sprocket.

The front tire is a Kenda 510 and the rear is a new stock one. I love that little tractor bike. I get fun made of my by my kids 'cause they think I should be on something like a 650 or so. Well, I've had 650's (Honda XR 650L) and, they're a TANK when it comes to off roading. This little T-dub does just fine with my lard butt on it while traversing around the out back. If I run a full tank on the street, I can get right at 80 mpg, based on very mild cruising. But, if I run mostly off road which, can be a lot of throttle use in soft sand washes, hills, rocky environments etc., it will drop to around 60 mpg. or so.

I'm presently constructing a rear rack for it. When that one's done, I'll do a front rack. Good luck with your new toy. They're a ton of fun and, as you can see and read, you'll have lots of support from great riders on here.
Scott

·
Registered
327 Posts
These bike are amazing with a little tweaking, like changing to a different front tire, O-ring chain, bar risers, bigger cleat foot pegs. Like a tractor mated with a jeep and then split the offspring in half. I have a 99 so best of kick and electric start, also a PO installed a shock from a Yamaha 4 wheeler, not sure what, but I have 2 more inches of saddle height which is great for me at 6'-0 250 but long legs the size of tree trunks. I made my own rack and panniers from mil surplus cans, had the stock tank expanded and welded for an extra gallon plus carry 2 -.5 gallon fuel canisters. This bike has and will take you anywhere you want to go...just slower. Mine has just over 10K on it. Wish it had better brakes, even the wife's 2012 with disc front was pretty underwhelming, but it does help me practice better forethought in braking markers, speed, and having a plan B path of travel, LOL

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Obsidian Goat,
Well Sir, I'm 67 years old, 6' 2.5" tall and at present, about 242 lbs. And I'm by far, not the only one on this sight that has those specs or, close to them. The TW IS a tractor bike. One can lug it around on the farm, on trails, hills, washes, and more and, still make it run down the road at anywhere from 40-60 mph, depending on how much one feels it is safe to run at. I myself, don't like pushing that TW past about 45 but, that's just me. I'm running stock gearing of 14T front sprocket and a 50T rear sprocket.

The front tire is a Kenda 510 and the rear is a new stock one. I love that little tractor bike. I get fun made of my by my kids 'cause they think I should be on something like a 650 or so. Well, I've had 650's (Honda XR 650L) and, they're a TANK when it comes to off roading. This little T-dub does just fine with my lard butt on it while traversing around the out back. If I run a full tank on the street, I can get right at 80 mpg, based on very mild cruising. But, if I run mostly off road which, can be a lot of throttle use in soft sand washes, hills, rocky environments etc., it will drop to around 60 mpg. or so.

I'm presently constructing a rear rack for it. When that one's done, I'll do a front rack. Good luck with your new toy. They're a ton of fun and, as you can see and read, you'll have lots of support from great riders on here.
Scott
I appreciate the info man, happy to hear that there are some big guys able to ride these with proper modifications. Thank you and good luck with that rack construction, look forward to seeing it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
These bike are amazing with a little tweaking, like changing to a different front tire, O-ring chain, bar risers, bigger cleat foot pegs. Like a tractor mated with a jeep and then split the offspring in half. I have a 99 so best of kick and electric start, also a PO installed a shock from a Yamaha 4 wheeler, not sure what, but I have 2 more inches of saddle height which is great for me at 6'-0 250 but long legs the size of tree trunks. I made my own rack and panniers from mil surplus cans, had the stock tank expanded and welded for an extra gallon plus carry 2 -.5 gallon fuel canisters. This bike has and will take you anywhere you want to go...just slower. Mine has just over 10K on it. Wish it had better brakes, even the wife's 2012 with disc front was pretty underwhelming, but it does help me practice better forethought in braking markers, speed, and having a plan B path of travel, LOL
Thanks man, I’ll have to look into the o-ring chain, I have planned on making those other adjustments for sure. So many options it’s awesome. Yea the brakes seem to be a downside but I like your acknowledgement of forethought and being ready to change path of need be. But it really does seem like just about the perfect bike/tool/toy for what I want! Thanks again!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Just get one. They hold their value so you can't lose much money on the thing. I am only about 1,000 miles into my TW adventure and not looking back.

Are you old enough to remember what ranch vehicle was replaced by the quad? Yup... Honda 90. Well the TW200 is what the Honda 90 always should have been.

And brakes are fine if you get one with a front disc. I love my 2018 TW.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just get one. They hold their value so you can't lose much money on the thing. I am only about 1,000 miles into my TW adventure and not looking back.

Are you old enough to remember what ranch vehicle was replaced by the quad? Yup... Honda 90. Well the TW200 is what the Honda 90 always should have been.

And brakes are fine if you get one with a front disc. I love my 2018 TW.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
Yea I’m sold at this point. I’ve been looking for a used one for months and they do really seem to hold their value. At my local dealership they have 2019s for $3,500 with only 100-300 miles. They buy them new and then lease them to the training facility and then get them back and sell them for $1000 less than retail. But I have to wait for this shelter in place bullshit to be over and for then to get new stock in and then I’ll be all over it. Looking forward to sharing with this community. Really appreciate all the feedback this forum is the best.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I predict that after a few weeks of unemployment for a good portion of the population, there's going to be some reasonably priced TWs for sale. The upside to buying from private party vs dealership is that they are more likely to already have the typical upgrades already done. All that stuff adds up but really makes these little bikes more enjoyable.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I predict that after a few weeks of unemployment for a good portion of the population, there's going to be some reasonably priced TWs for sale. The upside to buying from private party vs dealership is that they are more likely to already have the typical upgrades already done. All that stuff adds up but really makes these little bikes more enjoyable.
Very true. I passed up on one that was a 1990 with 10,000 miles for $2,500 cos it was 4 hours away. Felt like the miles were high but now I realize that’s probably not too bad :/

·
Registered
170 Posts
If you're patient but ready to pounce on the right one, there's deals out there. I paid $2000 for my first one with 1062 miles on it and had never been off the original owner's tree farm. My second one was $1500 but had about 7000 on the clock. Lots more owners and definitely not as nice but had some good accessories and almost new tires. Of course, I've done a lot to both since then. The key for both deals was being first one there with the cash.
Personally, I prefer the older bikes with kickstart but there are kick kits available to convert newer bikes. Disc brakes are nice but drums get by fine. Remember, they're TRAIL bikes so most of their useful speed is probably 20-30mph. No real need for giant rotors and 6 piston calipers here.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
I always thought the brakes are plenty adequate since it is so low geared. Down shift into 1st and see what happens. That back tire will slide right out on you with no brake applied. Never down shift into 1st unless you are under 5 mph. Off road on some of those really steep downhills I might would suspect a better brake would make you feel better.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you're patient but ready to pounce on the right one, there's deals out there. I paid $2000 for my first one with 1062 miles on it and had never been off the original owner's tree farm. My second one was $1500 but had about 7000 on the clock. Lots more owners and definitely not as nice but had some good accessories and almost new tires. Of course, I've done a lot to both since then. The key for both deals was being first one there with the cash.
Personally, I prefer the older bikes with kickstart but there are kick kits available to convert newer bikes. Disc brakes are nice but drums get by fine. Remember, they're TRAIL bikes so most of their useful speed is probably 20-30mph. No real need for giant rotors and 6 piston calipers here.
sweet thanks for the advice, I’ve been looking for about 4 months for a worthwhile bike but in California people seem to be holding on to them or asking around 4,000 for em. So I’m gonna keep looking for the right deal until May but of it doesn’t show em I’ll take one off the lot. And yea around my farm we try to keep speeds not exceeding 20 mph but on the 5 mile trip to work if I could even keep a safe 45-50mph range I’d be happy

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I always thought the brakes are plenty adequate since it is so low geared. Down shift into 1st and see what happens. That back tire will slide right out on you with no brake applied. Never down shift into 1st unless you are under 5 mph. Off road on some of those really steep downhills I might would suspect a better brake would make you feel better.
That’s really helpful to know thank you!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Howdy y’all. I’ve been looking at the tw200 a lot lately and I’m pretty much sold on it but before purchasing one I just want a little insight from actual riders.
I just want a bike that can get me to and from work, which is at a farm, it’s only a 5 mile road to work and I want to be able to ride it around the farm. It’s all dirt roads at the farm and although they can get fairly steep they are well compacted. I’m about 6’0 tall and 180 pounds. I want to be able to lug around occasional tools and stuff from time to time. Do you think the tw200 would be able to handle this? Appreciate any help. Thank you!
Top speed is about 65 MPH, 5 miles to work is not an issue otherwise. As for riding around the farm, should be great. Seat height (low so you can touch the ground) is spectacular compared to almost all other dual sports models, especially the racy ones. Dirt roads, probably the best bike available. If you want to go stupid fast and fly (jump) definitely not a good choice. For extended paved road riding your will need more air in the tires than the Yamaha recommendations or the tires will cup out and wear poorly (inflate to normal road bike specs). Any less air pressure than the Yamaha specifications will improve traction and flotation however you will probably bend a wheel sooner or later.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts