TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Disclaimer: You'd be an idiot to do anything I'm about to suggest. Suspension geometry is a science unto itself, so don't let a dink like me get you killed. The following is presented for entertainmant purposes only:

Part of the problem with big, heavy front tires is the fact that they're big, heavy front tires. The other half of the problem is that their increased height also increases the trail in your front end slightly, slowing the steering.

The ballpark method which yields no chance of overcorrecting is as follows. Measure EXACTLY, correct EXACTLY and you no die:

Measure the height of your stock tire mounted and fully aired up to street pressures BEFORE you mount your new monster tire.

Then mount your new front tire and measure its height. Divide the difference by two.

Slip your forks up into the trees an equivalent amount to half the difference in the height of the 2 tires.

This will restore your original steering geometry.

The downside will be that you'll whack your fender more often. depending on your tire choice. A high fender should solve this for all but the taller tires. This in in part why I why I have longer fork tubes.

As an example, my 244 is exactly 3/4" taller than a TW31.

So I would corect by slipping the tubes 3/8" above the top triple.

Welcome to the world of motorcycle modification, where everthang affects some other thang.

This is my "normal" fork height when running the much taller Bighorn2 rear with a 244 front:

Bear in mind my tubes are longer, and you can't get this kind of adjustment with stock tubes. But THIS is what's needed to restore stock handling when I remove the Bighorn and run a stock TW34 rear/SR244 front combo:

In this case I've lowered the rear by putting on a shorter tire, then lowered the front to match, then compensated for the front tire.

Anyway, this stuff might improve your joy with the big front tires. Any issues which remain after doing this are pretty much due to the tire itself and you'll have to learn to live with those.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I was driving myself crazy the last few days trying to pick a tire so I finally ended it. I ordered a tw34 and a shinko 244 5.10x18. Now I'm looking at the cyclerack and maybe a ricochet skid plate. I would like to do the big tank but for now I will just strap on a gallon can to the rack.. Thanks to all for the advice and opinions.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I just got my tires today! To those that don't know the tw 32-34 are the same except for the center lugs. The outer rows are identical.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Again, another ignorant one asking the question...but is the gyro effect aka speed wobbles?

I just put on a new kenda (270) and it seems tougher to steer but it also seems like it is because there are knobbies farther out the edge of the tire...of course, this is the ignorant one speaking...so I may be completely wrong on my analysis...

gyro, laws of physic or a tasty greek sandwhich

the bigger, heavier tire has alot more rotational mass. as it spins faster it will take more energy to change its natarual path of going straight on the same axis.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Wow the 244 definitely feels weird compared to the

Stocker. When you try to lean over around a corner it feels

Like it wants to keep going over by itself but I just need some time getting used to it.. Rainy day and new tires isn't a good combo for trying them out. I rode in the woods today while it was raining and it definitely is better off road than stock, it doest want to slide out when braking down a hill or a cornering in the dirt. What psi are you guys running

For all around purposes?

·
Super Moderator
1,930 Posts
Wow the 244 definitely feels weird compared to the

Stocker. When you try to lean over around a corner it feels

Like it wants to keep going over by itself but I just need some time getting used to it.. Rainy day and new tires isn't a good combo for trying them out. I rode in the woods today while it was raining and it definitely is better off road than stock, it doest want to slide out when braking down a hill or a cornering in the dirt. What psi are you guys running

For all around purposes?

18psi

21 - 27 of 27 Posts