TW200 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I'm new to the TW forums and have been reading lots of great info.

I've always liked these bikes but never owned one.

I'm looking at a nice clean 2008, with 19,000 km on it. It's had 2 owners and the current owner has only owned it briefly but is now selling it.

One of my concerns was whether it had received routine valve clearance checks / adjustments. The present owner has not done any and couldn't say whether the previous owner did either.

Given the bikes present kilometres, would valve adjustments or lack of be a deal breaker? I haven't seen the bike in person yet, but I'm told it runs and starts great. For what that's worth.

I'd like to hear some opinions on the valve checks please.

Paul.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Few bikes will come with a known history. Does it start easily? Does it seem fuel starved when cold and run better once its really warm? If so you better have a talk with the Doc (Guy Clark said that I didn't). Seriously, when intake valves get tight, you start seeing symptoms. Valve clearance is one of the things you'll do once you have the bike. But once done you won't do it very often unless you are compulsive.

·
Super Moderator
18,064 Posts
Welcome to the forum!! :D

Like Peruano said, you'll want to do it when you get the bike anyway. If it runs good and you like it and the price seems fair, get it. You could try posting some pictures and we'll look at it with you to help you spot any problems.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies and advice so far.

Here's a pic of the bike. It has some add ons.

I will def check and set the valve clearances first priority for my piece of mind.

·
Super Moderator
18,064 Posts
Wonder if it was/is a forum members bike? What kind of tire is that on the front?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's a better look at the front tire tread. I couldn't see the brand in any of the side on photos.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Very nice looking bike. Something else to check is the cylinder base gasket. They have a tendency to fail from time to time .
Good luck & have fun : )))

·
Registered
217 Posts
Thanks for the replies and advice so far.

Here's a pic of the bike. It has some add ons.

I will def check and set the valve clearances first priority for my piece of mind.

Nice looking bike! I am also wondering what front tire that is.

·
Super Moderator
18,064 Posts
I don't recognize that tire, maybe someone else will. Regardless, it's good it has been changed. The stock front isn't that good.
Here's a better look at the front tire tread. I couldn't see the brand in any of the side on photos.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts