TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gotta love the TW's.
Spliced together two different days riding the trails to Loon Lake. On the first day, we hiked to the southern end of the lake to see the crashed B-23 airplane. Apparently, we took the harder way to the crash site as we had to climb up and under downed trees and through the marshy wet trail to reach it. Unknowingly, we had decided to camp and ride at the same time as the Idaho Trail Machine Association State Ride so we met several other riders on the trail.

·
Registered
22,047 Posts
Great video of a very satisfying ride. Nothing too difficult, just a little apprehension about encountering oncoming riders in a few spots. However we were fortunate with easy passing and we politely interacted with the few groups of foot traffic heading in as we headed out.
We sure spooked a lot of rodents, must be good trailside munchies for the wolves.
Thanks for fleshing out the details of the camp-n-ride idea formerly painted with but broad brush stokes. Each day had nice challenges and rewards. All I had to do was just show up. Most excellent rides and companions!

·
Super Moderator
14,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great video of a very satisfying ride. Nothing too difficult, just a little apprehension about encountering oncoming riders in a few spots. However we were fortunate with easy passing and we politely interacted with the few groups of foot traffic heading in as we headed out.
We sure spooked a lot of rodents, must be good trailside munchies for the wolves.
Thanks for fleshing out the details of the camp-n-ride idea formerly painted with but broad brush stokes. Each day had nice challenges and rewards. All I had to do was just show up. Most excellent rides and companions!
The riding was so good I slept well every night. Thankfully, the wolves didn't start howling until after sunrise that first night/morning.

·
Registered
22,047 Posts
They were howling down in the old placer workings when I was also down there having my morning "constitutional" walk with shovel and baby wipes. Good greeting for the beginning of another TW outing in the beautiful outdoors.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Really into videos like this now, cause I'm busted up at the moment with broken ribs/toe. My fun has been put on hold. Great video, yet again! So jealous of all the trails you have out west.

·
Registered
22,047 Posts
This Loon Lake is somewhat near Burgdorf Hot Springs as well as Warren Idaho, both north of McCall and south of the Salmon River.
Loon Lake is not an uncommon place name, got a few around here too. Sort of like Long Valley or Rock Creek, bet you've got those too with a Bear Valley to two thrown in for good measure. :giggle:

·
Super Moderator
14,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Really into videos like this now, cause I'm busted up at the moment with broken ribs/toe. My fun has been put on hold. Great video, yet again! So jealous of all the trails you have out west.
For the sake of mountainmanilyness, I hope your toe/rib injury story includes jumping a creek on the TW. Just kidding and hope you heal well so you can go jump a creek on you're TW.

Reactions: reddave

·
Super Moderator
14,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice video of a good-looking ride with sections of C+ thrown in. Looks like lots of "beetle-kill" trees near the end.
Which "Loon Lake" is this? We have 3 of them here in BC.
Thanks for watching. Now I'm wondering how many Loon Lakes we have in Idaho. haha. As far as the trees go, Bark Beatle could have been a contributor. I haven't looked up the map of the past fires yet but there was a pretty good one in 2007. A lot of the trees in the video are "fire survivors" sort of but could also be due to bugs. I'd say a good 1/2 of what we rode through during this 4 days of riding was through burned areas.

Reactions: reddave

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
What excellent single-track trails to ride! Wolf sign on the same trail? Howling in the distance? Now that is pretty damn awesome! You've just got to howl back, right?

·
Registered
22,047 Posts
Well, at least the wolves don't climb into your car to steal your lunch.
Came across this fellow this afternoon helping himself to some worker's lunch.

I stopped to shoo him away before did more damage but he got pissed at me, dropped his Cheetoes coming out and came after me.

I retreated a bit so he climbed back in for seconds, a sandwich this time. So waded back in for seconds myself as these guys can really trash a car if left unchecked.
Intimidation worked this time, he exited with the sandwich, crossed the street and continued eating.
Dog Road surface Infrastructure Asphalt Car

That gave me time to go warn the Latinex workers ( I know, they hate the term and the disrespect for their culture it represents but hey, current leadership says this is the term we should use) that they should close the Tacoma's window before the bear goes back for desert.
Yep, don't have wolves in our cars here.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Those look like the spicy Cheetos, Fred....no wonder that bear was all "hot and bothered!"

Reactions: Fred

·
Registered
22,047 Posts
Back to Admiral's Singletrack:
Another reason to explore new interesting trails they just might end up someplace nice like a Loon Lake.

·
Registered
22,047 Posts
Awesome hoot, thanks. We should've had you with us the whole trip to de-haze the region wide wildfire smoke.
Less than thrilling to ascend to those mountaintop fire lookout sites only to have smoke obscure what must be grand views.

Reactions: Hoot Gibson

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Awesome hoot, thanks. We should've had you with us the whole trip to de-haze the region wide wildfire smoke.
Less than thrilling to ascend to those mountaintop fire lookout sites only to have smoke obscure what must be grand views.
Kind of like riding in The Great Smokey Mountains!

Marty

1 - 16 of 16 Posts