TW200 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past weekend right before I installed that kicker, I put a real HARD trail ride in. Very sandy trails, hills, whoops and an all around just aggressive ride on the TW. I was keeping up to a '83 XL 250 and a '04 DRZ 400. So when I was pulling the clutch basket off, with the " in gear, foot on brake" method, I noticed some movement in my back sprocket. I checked and all the bolts were loose! I assume it was from that hard ride but to be honest, I'm not sure how long they've been loose. They're tightened back up now.

Thought I'd share, as it seems to be something worth checking from time to time.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
If you bend the tabs on the nuts correctly it should keep it tight for a looooooooooooooooooooooooooong time?????????? OMM.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I have a feeling that the next time i replace the rear sprocket, all the tabs will break. Should i buy some replacements on ebay or not bother?

·
Super Moderator
17,967 Posts
Buy a replacement. You need that secondary safety.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
The tabs are designed for two changes. Some of the bent tabs can be re used if they don't crack or brake on flattening them.

A loose rear sprocket is your first indicator that you are not doing a pre ride safety check which is your first and very best defense against a catastrophic failure on the road. I have found many loose screws, nuts and bolts when doing my pre flight inspections and vibration is the cause.

GaryL

·
Registered
6,407 Posts
The tabs are designed for two changes. Some of the bent tabs can be re used if they don't crack or brake on flattening them.

A loose rear sprocket is your first indicator that you are not doing a pre ride safety check which is your first and very best defense against a catastrophic failure on the road. I have found many loose screws, nuts and bolts when doing my pre flight inspections and vibration is the cause.

GaryL
Care to expound on that Gary? Since I am new to this model it would be nice to know of any particular nuts and bolts that may be repeat offenders. Thank you in advance:)

Tom

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Care to expound on that Gary? Since I am new to this model it would be nice to know of any particular nuts and bolts that may be repeat offenders. Thank you in advance:)

Tom
Sure Tom. The TW is a single cylinder engine that revs quite high and has an inherent vibration factor as any single will. I spend probably 5 minutes checking the bike before I ever start it up.

Make sure the levers and controls on the handle bars are all tight and the pivot bolts in the levers have not lost the nuts on the under side. Check both the front and rear axle bolts and nuts and the cotter pins. Check the chain and master link for adjustment and lubrication. Check the chain guard and rear sprocket bolts for any loose or missing bolts. Check the foot pegs for loose bolts and also the shifter. The air box side cover has two exposed screws that like to rattle out. Check all lights and blinkers for proper function and look for leaks around the carb, engine and under the bike where it was parked, check the oil level and if you have a front disc check the fluid reservoir. Check tire pressure and inspect tires for nails or other problems such as a dented rim or a weather crack or bubble. Check to be sure the engine bolts are tight, many have found them backed out under the seat or loose on the front down tube.

Before I leave my driveway I check the brakes.

I rode a buddies TW when I first learned about them and when we pulled in to a Yamaha dealer I went to down shift only to find the shift lever was gone. Any of these things can cause a catastrophic failure at 50-60 MPH so it is always in your best interest to be on top of your game for your own safety. Throwing a chain while cruising at speed can be deadly and also very expensive. While on a trail ride we took a smoke brake and I noticed my buddies front axle had lost the nut and was backed out about an inch, another inch and his front wheel would have fallen off. He forgot to tighten the nut and install the cotter pin. The first rule in riding is to check your ride!

GaryL

·
Registered
6,407 Posts
Sure Tom. The TW is a single cylinder engine that revs quite high and has an inherent vibration factor as any single will. I spend probably 5 minutes checking the bike before I ever start it up.

Make sure the levers and controls on the handle bars are all tight and the pivot bolts in the levers have not lost the nuts on the under side. Check both the front and rear axle bolts and nuts and the cotter pins. Check the chain and master link for adjustment and lubrication. Check the chain guard and rear sprocket bolts for any loose or missing bolts. Check the foot pegs for loose bolts and also the shifter. The air box side cover has two exposed screws that like to rattle out. Check all lights and blinkers for proper function and look for leaks around the carb, engine and under the bike where it was parked, check the oil level and if you have a front disc check the fluid reservoir. Check tire pressure and inspect tires for nails or other problems such as a dented rim or a weather crack or bubble. Check to be sure the engine bolts are tight, many have found them backed out under the seat or loose on the front down tube.

Before I leave my driveway I check the brakes.

I rode a buddies TW when I first learned about them and when we pulled in to a Yamaha dealer I went to down shift only to find the shift lever was gone. Any of these things can cause a catastrophic failure at 50-60 MPH so it is always in your best interest to be on top of your game for your own safety. Throwing a chain while cruising at speed can be deadly and also very expensive. While on a trail ride we took a smoke brake and I noticed my buddies front axle had lost the nut and was backed out about an inch, another inch and his front wheel would have fallen off. He forgot to tighten the nut and install the cotter pin. The first rule in riding is to check your ride!

GaryL
It is this type of response that makes this forum special! Thank you. Incredibly thorough as well. I have been really good about checking the big things before every ride "chain, axles, sprocket, etc" I can honestly say that I would never have thought to check the pivot bolts or the shifter though. I am going to give everything a good going over after my bike returns from its mandatory service by Yamaha. I have read on this forum the engine mounts have a tendency to loosen? I know this bike can be buzzy since I have logged 750 miles in a bit over a month and that has just been farting around after work and on weekends. This thing is addictive! Thank you once again.

Tom

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm definitely going to give my bike a thorough bolt tightening check this evening.

I usually ride quite a bit of highway kilometers, around 100kph, to and from the trails. Like mentioned above, this bike vibrates alot at that speed. So much that the mirros are basically useless!

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I like to do most of the bike inspection after a ride, because I will have a feel for anything that might have changed or reminded me to inspect. If I wait for the next ride, I may forget about something that should have been inspected. I also feel after a ride is when you are most familiar with the bike. I also like to push the bike forward and backward in gear to check chain and drive train looseness.
Mel

·
Registered
13,649 Posts
This past weekend right before I installed that kicker, I put a real HARD trail ride in. Very sandy trails, hills, whoops and an all around just aggressive ride on the TW. I was keeping up to a '83 XL 250 and a '04 DRZ 400. So when I was pulling the clutch basket off, with the " in gear, foot on brake" method, I noticed some movement in my back sprocket. I checked and all the bolts were loose! I assume it was from that hard ride but to be honest, I'm not sure how long they've been loose. They're tightened back up now.

Thought I'd share, as it seems to be something worth checking from time to time.
Good advice and discussion by all above. In additon to the retainer, and you don't have to do this, you could add nylon locknuts with lock washers for good measure.

This is the don't do as I do, but worth a mention. I discontinued using the retainer and have only been using the nylon locknuts and lock washers. I ride pretty hard off road/high speed pavement, and have never had these sprocket bolts/nuts come loose. However, as said above, I check all fastners often. Only loose bolts I've ever had loose are the valve cover and engine mount bolts and or nuts, but you never know which one can become loose due to vibration.

Take Care

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
If I could redesign anything, one would be to insert the bolt holding the shift lever from the top. This would make it a bit difficult removing but also would not allow the bolt to just rattle out and be gone.

I call it a Pre Flight inspection because that was my job in the Navy during Vietnam and in a combat helicopter squadron. We checked everything after flight but did a particularly thorough Pre Flight before we ever got off the ground. We never knew what could have sprung a leak over night or if anyone might have tampered with something or even just been careless and forgotten to check or secure a hatch. There is no room for error in flight and not much room when you are on a bike.

Just like Mel and as we age we develop that dreaded disease CRS. I get careless and forget stuff all the time so I make a habit of checking and re checking my self. If I ever took my bike to a dealer for service, not very likely, I would not put a leg over it until I checked every place the mechanic might have been. Those guys get rode hard at dealerships and interrupted all the time when servicing a machine. Oh Gee, I forgot does not cut it when you are sliding down the highway.

GaryL

·
Registered
20,192 Posts
Valuable advice. it sure is easier to locktight and tighten something before it goes missing just from a convenience perspective. Some of our fasteners are a little odd and not readily replaced except by Yamaha. My dealer keeps very little in stock, wants to charge twice internet cost, have me pre-pay, everything is a special order, then wait and return a couple of days after stuff arrives and parts man finally gets around to calling me. Thus that 5 cent air box screw will cost me $10 in gas plus the $1.50 plus tax dealer charges for single special order screw and take over a week to get. Much easier to just inspect and tighten before loosing.
Just to bitch some more I once asked local Yamaha dealer why a pre-paid special order express shipped part never showed up. I was told that I should have known to never order anything from one particular parts man, that it was my fault. With a little steam boiling out of my ears I asked how
I should have known, was there a sign hung around employee's neck warning me? This is the same Yamaha dealer that once advertised used TW for sale only to tell me when I showed up cash in hand that bike first had to be processed by them and it would take at least 90 days. What????
Needless to say I left unhappy. Next day I bought new TW from a competing Yamaha dealer in another town.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Here's another thing to check every now and then
I've had to adjust the rear brake light switch on mine a couple of times. Another motorcyclist told me my rear brake light was not on when I was stopped at a light. Sure enough you had to stand on the brake hard before the switch activated.

Either the spring stretched or it loosened up just enough so that it was not triggering during gentle braking.

zh-15a00-37740s.jpg

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
So far in 7400 miles (knock on wood), the only thing that has loosened and fallen off is the bolt hanging the muffler to the rear frame....twice. I replaced it with a longer bolt the second time and added a flat washer and a lock washer.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts