TW200 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed some play in the front fork, seems like a loose bearing or something. Any ideas?

thanks!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you got a part number? I want to make sure I get the right ones.. according to my research they are

156-23411-00-00

it looks like there is only one.... anyone know for sure? thanks

·
Registered
20,182 Posts
While it is apart clean out forks and change fork oil. New fork seals might be good idea too considering age.

·
Registered
7,100 Posts
Before you pull the fork tubes out of the triple tree mark them so you can put them back in exactly the way they were. Mark them twice -- see black marks on the picture -- in case one gets rubbed off.

I didn't and when I reassembled it the bike pulled hard to the right.

Fork tube.jpg

·
Registered
174 Posts
I'd use all balls steering stem bearings, much better being tapered needle vs the stock ball bearings.

Furthermore you shouldn't need to mark the forks. set the 6mm height as per the service manual and then loosely clamp them. throw the axle through the forks and make sure its lined up perfectly before tightening everything up. the lower fork legs can rotate from the sliders so marking that orientation doesn't really do much.

if your fork seals are in good shape its a perfect time to refresh the fork oil. only adds about 10m to the job.

·
Registered
174 Posts
you da man! thanks. hopefully this is the fix I need to get rid of the play in there, super annoying
few threads with how-tos here its pretty simple. is it notchy at all turning the handlebars? what about with the forks off? if you feel any notchiness as well its definitely needed.

Mine weren't 'loose' as i imagine yours feel but were notchy. it made the steering SO much smoother when switching to (complete overkill) tapered roller bearings. Esp for the same if not cheaper than the OEM setup.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
This is the first vid I found on the tube and didn't watch all of it because they are not using the right tools but it probably gets the point across. You may be able to just disassemble, grease and adjust to get you by for awhile. If they do need replaced, this vid will help but I'm sure there are better videos if you look for them

·
Registered
174 Posts
This is the first vid I found on the tube and didn't watch all of it because they are not using the right tools but it probably gets the point across. You may be able to just disassemble, grease and adjust to get you by for awhile. If they do need replaced, this vid will help but I'm sure there are better videos if you look for them

by right tools do you mean the official oem drivers and such?

it def helps to have a bearing driver set (free to rent at autozone and the like) but aside from that i didn't see anything glaring wrong.

here's some specific tw how to:

http://tw200forum.com/forum/technical-help/7174-all-balls-steering-bearings-question.html

1 - 12 of 12 Posts