TW200 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a 1987 TW200 and it has a big issue with loss of power. When i start up it might take a minute to 5 minutes but it will begin to idle oddly. I can make it happen if i open the throttle past 1/2 to 3/4 open. it will sputter and will not respond to the throttle. It's more like a high idle that keeps getting grounded out. the head light will go from bright to dim and back again as well. I have cleaned the carb 2 times now, inspected the pilot and main jets, cleaned every hole through out it. i don't think it would be an electrical issue since it is so intermittent but who knows at this point. When it losses power, it really goes dead... it's quicker to walk it around than engage the clutch. Sometimes it will regain power if i let it sit it seems or if i push through it on WOT for 15 mins. Another issue that may and or not be related (goes back to electrical) is the fact that when i turn the key to on the only lights that turn on are the tail light and neutral light (the headlight and speedo light don't come on till i start the bike, which is odd since it's a new battery) If any one has any ideas... i'm all ears. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help me out! Thanks!

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Can't help you with your problem, but I can tell you that when you turn your key on, only the tail light and neutral light should come on. Thats normal for a 1987. If you had a newer bike, all the lights would come on.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
just tried to adjust the air fuel ratio w no such luck. this is really killing me. i've never seen anything like this after 2 complete through carb cleanings. spark plug looks good, engine sometimes runs perfectly, and then nothing. i can't believe this. i'm seriously trying to search my head for solutions. ANY ideas are very appreciated as i'm at the end of my rope.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the fast reply. and i wasn't sure about the lights since the wiring diagrams indicated they should be on. but i'm glad thats at least ok.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Sounds fuel starvation to me. Have you got a good, steady flow of fuel out of the petrol tap. It maybe partially blocked.

Check your float height also.

And your tank breather in the cap, maybe creating a vacuum in the tank as fuel is used.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
tried running without the cap before, still the same. i actually checked that fuel was flowing in the carb, in the line, wired each jet, took the petcock apart... it all seems to flow fine. i am just giving in and bringing it to a friend who owns a shop. he only does older bikes (mostly dirt bikes) from the 70's and 80's... so i'll let everyone on here know what in the world it was hopefully. i haven't taken a bike to the shop in years.... and i'll probably kick myself when i get it back.

·
Registered
8 Posts
yes please do post back. I have the same symptoms at the end of the season. Never dies just looses power goes to about half power. symptoms were were the same as you described. Thanks Jim

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well as of right now, my friend thats looking at in his shop is still leaning towards carb. We threw some ideas back and forth yesterday and we're going to play with the needle some. It seems very lean so he's going to move the e-clip down to the bottom and see how it runs. if it runs well, we're trying a new needle. If not he's swapping a carb from an XT 225 on to see if the problem persists. if it does then he's thinking the CDI.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Intermittant problems as you describe are usually electrical, unless there are chunks of crud floating around the fuel system.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well i spent about 3 hours today with my friend Paul and his co-worker looking through the bike. We have totally eliminated the fuel system all together, took the carb off an older bike with a different gas tank and it was still running the exact same way. Swapped pulsers from an xt 225, still doing it. Checked most of the wiring, the coil, the plug, the timing, the valves, the air box... so now I'm waiting on the holy grail of one year parts... the infamous 1987 only CDI box.... find out soon enough if it was worth $300 or if I'm still bashing my head against the walls...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey RT any update on the progress of your problem. I have a 1998 running pretty rough. may post a message soon to the forum. Was hoping to hear if the CDI was the solution. Thanks

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Waiting to hear if the bike is running. will know tomorrow most likely. The CDI was replaced and so was the head. Apparently when the engine revved one time it dislodged a piece of broken valve guide and was clunking around. New head cost the same as the repair so i went with it. I'll post up when i hear it is running 100%

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well the bike has returned! Yes it appears the issue was in fact the CDI. The 87 CDIs are a bit touchy, and they're only made for that year. Paul and his guys did a bang up job diagnosing it, the reason it took so long is they tested EVERY single other possible electrical connection and part before having me shell out $300 for a new CDI. If anyone is in the North New Jersey area or near Sussex County, I highly recommend Paul's shop "Whoop Dee Doo Cycle" in Stockholm. He specializes in older bikes, more specifically dirt bikes, enduros, and dual sports.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts