TW200 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 TW200

Bike was sitting for about 8 months. No fuel stabilizer in bike. Put in some fresh fuel. Battery was dead. Tried to coast and got it started. Fuel started pouring out of "vacuum line" on top of crankcase that goes to the air box. Thinking it was flooded, I turned off the petcock and ran it for about a minute. Fuel still pouring out the air box. Then, took out oil plug and lots of fuel came pouring out. Most likely mixed with what oil was in the crankcase. I had one friend say that the floats were stuck in the carb and it need a rebuild. Another said it was a blown head gasket. Allowing all that fuel to get into the crankcase. Any idea to the problem? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Also, if it is the head gasket, what other O-rings/gaskets should I buy?

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
2001 TW200

...I had one friend say that the floats were stuck in the carb

This seems to be a recurring theme... ;-)

Best guess is a float valve stuck in the open position. Don't really need a carb rebuild, just a good cleaning.

Sometimes a sharp tap on the side of the float bowl will unstick the float.

Sometimes a treatment of Seafoam or Deep Creep will work.

Last resort is to disassemble the carb and clean.

See this thread for some tips.

http://tw200forum.com/index.php?/topic/529-carb-cleaning-for-dummies/

Change your oil before you try to start your engine.

Someone probably needs to do a pictorial tutorial on carb cleaning.

jb

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Here's a link to carb cleaning for the DR650.

The carb is similar to the TK carb on the TW200.

It will give you an idea of what's inside the carb, and if it's something you want to try yourself.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=347184

The part you need to look at is where the bottom of the carb is opened up.

*** parts are NOT identical... see diagram of TW carb for exact parts.

jb

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Head gasket has nothing to do with gas in the crankcase. Don't listen to that fool. The only way to fill a crankcase with fuel is to have the needle not seal. Reasons could be dirt/corrosion/etc. between needle and seat, worn needle and/or seat, or float stuck/not properly adjusted. While a chemical treatment may cure the problem, a carb disassembly, inspection, and thorough cleaning defintely will.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts