TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello TDubbers,
About two weeks ago when it was very cold outside, I started my TDub to warm it up and ride it up and down the street. It was struggling to idle and I revved the engine to catch it from stalling. There began a loud ticking noise from - the engine. I thought it best not to ride it so I turned it off. Yesterday I went out for a short ride and it started up immediately as it always does. The ticking noise was still there, but I could not isolate where it was coming from. I took it out for about a 30 minute ride and immediately noticed the loss of power. It would not get over 30 mph and struggled to get up hills.

The weather here has been very poor - cold and rainy or very cold or very rainy - so I know I will not get to work on it and when I do, I am limited by not having a garage or a warm covered space.

Where to start:
It was getting fuel.

Valves? locking nut came loose??
Cam chain tensioner??
Oil level - petcock leak??

Thank you for any suggestions.

Teeth to the wind,
Jeff - Sno Dawg

The TDub at Reading Anthracite this winter!
IMG_9460-XL.jpg

·
Super Moderator
17,989 Posts
It ran just fine when you parked it originally didn't it? If so, nothing should have changed. (usually;)) I would try some Lucas Deep System Fuel Cleaner or Seafoam in it. The carb may just be getting clogged up due to sitting and/or non-ethanol gas.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Valve adjustment lock-nuts or wrong oil filter = another roasted top end...

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
OUCH!!!

this makes me sad before I even start.

Jeff
I'm very pessimistic sometimes. Hopefully, it's something simple and easy. Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
17,989 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You didn't happen to adjust the valves or change the oil filter just before putting it away did you?
No - I wish that was the case - I would rest easier with the rainy weather we have had.

Still I won't be getting to it for another week or two!

Jeff

·
Super Moderator
17,989 Posts
Ok, good. I'm thinking this is a easy fix. Fuel treatment as stated above. 3 or 4 ounces, run it for a few minutes or go for a ride, shut off, let sit, do it again the next day, repeat as necessary.

Valve adjustment lock-nuts or wrong oil filter = another roasted top end...
OUCH!!!

this makes me sad before I even start.

Jeff
No - I wish that was the case - I would rest easier with the rainy weather we have had.

Still I won't be getting to it for another week or two!

Jeff

·
Registered
69 Posts
Sounds a lot like a timing adjustment nut worked loose or the bolt sheared. I had similar symptoms when the intake bolt sheared a while back. Really amazing to me that it was running at all! Fished out the parts with a magnet and used parts from the donor bike to replace; bike runs like nothing ever happened!
Take the covers off and have a peek...

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I started my TDub to ride it up and down the street. It was struggling to idle and I revved the engine to catch it from stalling. There began a loud ticking noise from - the engine. I thought it best not to ride it so I turned it off. Yesterday I went out for a short ride and it started up immediately. The ticking noise was still there. I took it out for about a 30 minute ride and immediately noticed the loss of power. It would not get over 30 mph and struggled to get up hills.
Is there any oil in the bike?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
OK - I have been working a lot and the weather has been very poor around here so I have not got to work on my TW200 with the loud ticking.

I had a guy who is looking for a project offer me around $800 for it, but I really want to see if I can fix it. When I told my wife I might sell it as a project, she was actually mad because she said she liked to ride it and said that maybe I should buy a newer one so she could have a bike to ride! I was amazed that she was mad that I was going to sell it.

I will post a video so you can tell me what you think.

[video]https://photos.smugmug.com/Motorcycle/i-J9p6Vjn/0/27dcedcb/640/2018050317281986-IMG_0621-640.mp4[/video]

If I can get $850 for it as is - cash should I sell it.

Sno Dawg

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
That looks like about a $1,500 bike to me. If you do the work yourself, you can probably fix what is wrong with it for a couple of hundred bucks.

I say tear into it to at least find out what the problem is. Then decide whether to fix it or unload it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey Peter,
I am going through North Bay in about a month and a half. My wife and I have been canoe guides in Temagami for 20 years and have done trips up to the James bay and Moosonee. We usually spend out rest days in North Bay. We always get pizza at Grecos and do our laundry right next door at the laundromat. I was bummed when they closed Sullys Poutine stand at the gas station on Rt 11 on top of the hill. We used to plan our trips in to town around when that was open.

Sno Dawg - Philadelphia

BTW - Maybe you guys did not read closely enough. My wife said to get a new one if I sell this so she can ride it!!!

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Hey Peter,
I am going through North Bay in about a month and a half. My wife and I have been canoe guides in Temagami for 20 years and have done trips up to the James bay and Moosonee. We usually spend out rest days in North Bay. We always get pizza at Grecos and do our laundry right next door at the laundromat. I was bummed when they closed Sullys Poutine stand at the gas station on Rt 11 on top of the hill. We used to plan our trips in to town around when that was open.

Sno Dawg - Philadelphia

BTW - Maybe you guys did not read closely enough. My wife said to get a new one if I sell this so she can ride it!!!

Hey PM me when you are coming to town. In fact I will PM you my email and phone # right now and we can go for pizza. Grecos does have the best pizza. Bring your TW !

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sold it for $900 cash!

I got hit/rear-ended on my HP2 and it is going to need some real work and/or it will be totaled. I was so pisseed at the thought of putting more work into the TW and the HP2 along with the constant rain in our area that I responded to an ad where someone was looking for a TW200 project. I emailed the guy and sold it to him a week later.

My wife was not happy that I sold it because she really liked the TW200 - seat height, weight and fat tires - so I located a 2012 TW200 that I am picking up this weekend.

I will post pics when I get it.

Sno Dawg

·
Registered
20,211 Posts
Congratulations on the 2012, let someone else worry about the valve train noise on the 2003.
Wife will be happy to have a ridable TW and you will have free time to address the HP2.
Hope the rear-ender left you uninjured.

P.S. - The video with valve noise soundtrack was a brilliant addition allowing audience to hopefully help you in the diagnosis . More people should do this when seeking advice. Posting a cell phone captured video clip is getting easier every day.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts