TW200 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a well maintained 2001 TW200, and I love this thing! It is quite a change from my Concours 14, but in a good way. I put 120 miles on her today, mostly highway with a few backroads, and spent most of it between 65-75MPH. The highest speed I hit was 80 on a downhill drafting behind a semi. I drafted that semi for about 30 miles down I35 towards Austin because it was windy here. It helped that the guy I bought it from replaced the front sprocket with one 2 teeth larger, and I aired the tires up to max load. I am impressed because I weigh 215 and was carrying a load that weighed about 50. It's been a long time since I had that much fun on a bike!

I was riding to see when it would run out of gas, and it did at mile 114. I tried to start the bike after flipping it over to reserve, but it wouldn't start. Luckily I was close to a gas station so I just pushed her over and filled up. Started right away. BUT, it took 1.9 GAL of gas to the top, and I thought the tank only held 1.8 GAL with .4 GAL of that being the reserve. Is that right? If so, it drained the reserve without me turning it to reserve.

Hope to find some trails around Ft. Hood to ride soon, should be a blast.

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
I was riding to see when it would run out of gas, and it did at mile 114. I tried to start the bike after flipping it over to reserve, but it wouldn't start. Luckily I was close to a gas station so I just pushed her over and filled up. Started right away. BUT, it took 1.9 GAL of gas to the top, and I thought the tank only held 1.8 GAL with .4 GAL of that being the reserve. Is that right? If so, it drained the reserve without me turning it to reserve......
Well, you got the number right! If you fill the tank all the way to the brim you can get 1.9 gal. in there. And zooming along on the highway at those speeds 114 miles to dry tank is also right. However, you should have stalled at around 80 miles and switched to reserve, so something isn't right. I suggest you pull the tank and the petcock and have a look. Could the PO have cut off the standpipe so that both on and reserve pipes were at the same height? Pretty strange, but not impossible. One other remote possibility is that the standpipe has fallen off....same deal. Actually you might be able to get a glimpse of the petcock filters from the opening with a flashlight. I suggest flushing the tank anyway....it would be unusual if it was really clean.

Welcome to the Madness!

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Or, maybe you were set on reserve from the get-go?
You stationed at Ft. Hood?
Welcome aboard!
Dave

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. I will have to check it out. Hmmm...if I had set the gas to RESERVE from the start, it seems logical that the tank would have ran dry. I have never had to switch on gas before.
I am actually retired from the Army, but I did spend a little time at Ft. Hood. They have off-road trails, but I do not know what the requirements are. Knowing the Army, i would probably have to take a off-road class at range control, wear a reflective vest, stand in line, sign in, and wait my turn. I can also see myself being run over by some hotshot young troops on dirt bikes! I will have to check it out though.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Welcome from the Heartland. I have switched to reserve on the fly before, no big deal. I was on the highway at cruising speed though. It would not be such a treat in the middle of a technical section of some back hills trail or a hill climb. LOL

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
..... I have switched to reserve on the fly before, no big deal. ....
It WAS a big deal for me the first time I tried it on a busy 4 lane! :eek: I nearly got rear-ended! Since the bike quits cold with only the slightest warning, I now pull in the clutch and coast to the shoulder before switching, unless there is no other traffic nearby. I still end up going from 60 to 30 before it catches.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Welcome.

Enjoy!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts