TW200 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I found a lower cost solution for LED pod lights by relocating the front side markers, using marker brackets, $54 led light pods, SAE Y-cable, and handlebar power switch (decided I wanted to separate from the high beam circuit).

Here they are mounted, you get vertical and horizontal adjustment for beam location, will report back once I finish wiring.

LED Lights - Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078V66BRD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_U3HTDb4X7S697

CE374E23-5125-4A60-8780-2445F858EE2C_1572216527558.jpeg

·
Registered
19,201 Posts
Nice addition BigBlake :icon_thumleft:.
I am a fan of these those, about half the price, twice the light, likely twice the illuminated distance. No relay needed. Mounts directly to the outer lower fork clamp bolt, adjustable on the fly. Just another of many, many options out there.
Housing is robust enough to survive several years of impacts with just the bracket deforming under impact. Brackets readily re-bendable using a 2x4 as a buck, or mold, to hammer against.
2 of WEISIJI 20W 4 Inch Daytime Running Lights 4D Lens Spot Beam Led Work Light Bar for Cars/Jeep Wrangler/4x4-Jeep Cabin/UTE/SUV/ATV/Truck/Car/Boat/Fishing (2PCS)

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice addition BigBlake
I am a fan of these those, about half the price, twice the light, likely twice the illuminated distance. No relay needed. Mounts directly to the outer lower fork clamp bolt, adjustable on the fly. Just another of many, many options out there.
Housing is robust enough to survive several years of impacts with just the bracket deforming under impact. Brackets readily re-bendable using a 2x4 as a buck, or mold, to hammer against.
2 of WEISIJI 20W 4 Inch Daytime Running Lights 4D Lens Spot Beam Led Work Light Bar for Cars/Jeep Wrangler/4x4-Jeep Cabin/UTE/SUV/ATV/Truck/Car/Boat/Fishing (2PCS)
Oh man, wish I would have seen these before I scooped the other ones up. And at 24 bucks that is super tough to beat. Those are on the list of mine don't hold up. Thanks Fred!

·
Registered
19,201 Posts
Nothing wrong with Blake's lights, I have just developed a fondness for mine.
I first mounted a pair on my van, liked them so much that I got second pair for a TW after a few years. Now both TWs have them for long range illumination. LED H4 replacement headlight bulbs provide closer in flood illumination. Fairly off-road oriented so not for everyone. They fair well in comparison with OEM halogen lighting on other bikes like this KLX in the below video. The box like beam pattern shows fairly well in twilight or in timbered shade. the podlights are aimed a little downwards for the slow trail ride but on ride home I reach forward and raise the aiming point for 5th gear speeds.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can definitely see them putting work in around the 2:30 mark. How did you end up mounting yours, Fred?

·
Registered
19,201 Posts
I first separated lights from chrome brackets, discarded bolts and then pounded flat the little forged tabs on the chrome brackets that hold those bolts. Reassembled lights now can be mounted to the outer of the two lower fork clamp bolts using the OEM fork clamp bolt. lights.jpg
Wiring may be directly to the high beams, or with an arming switch between light pods and hi beam headlight. Or they can be switched on or off independently via an aftermarket handlebar switch. I have four like these for different functions in four different colors as seen in the video but there are many other and higher quality switches out there.[h=2]Ourbest Handlebar Mounting Switch Button Bicycle Motorcycle Tuning Part for U5 U7 U2 LED Headlight Scooter Electrombile[/h]

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pro tip... after building my wiring harness to complete this install... I was informed there are universal off road light harnesses you can buy for cheap.

It's installed, it works, everything smells like solder in the basement, lol.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts