TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for advice on what year V Star 1100 shock to buy to fit my 2013 TW200. I need to lower the bike for my wife. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!!

·
Super Moderator
18,066 Posts
Welcome to the forum!! :D
I am looking for advice on what year V Star 1100 shock to buy to fit my 2013 TW200. I need to lower the bike for my wife. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!!

Reactions: JerseyJeeper

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I don't know off hand the answer, but a search should yield it for you if another doesn't answer soon. Member Rhodetrip would be a great source for you, as he did this to the Mrs.' bike. I find using a regular search engine like Bing or Google produce better results than the forum search tool. Just narrow it to this site only. Put something like this in the search bar...

site:tw200forum.com lowering or vstar shock, etc.

Oh, and welcome!

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Also, you don't have to get a different shock. You can drill a lower mounting hole for the stock shock.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Nels, I replied to your PM. Here is the photo showing both shocks:

Custom Shock set up for her weight and riding style. Same length as the V-Star shock.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I've asked before and forgot. But with the v star shock if you nail something is that tire gonna hit under the seat? Or is the stroke appropriately shorter?

Reactions: littletommy

·
Registered
816 Posts
Hmm. I'm not sure I'm a big fan of that. Basically relying on not using all the travel seems like a poor choice. My wiring is all tucked out of the way, but still.

·
Super Moderator
1,920 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
great, thanks! Are there any major issues with performance? I don't expect I will be too crazy off road, but I want it to see safe and stable riding there on pavement.

·
Registered
68 Posts
To the top. I lowered my wife's with the vstar shock but the more off roading she does the more she's bottoming it out..May shave the hell out of the seat so she can have a real TW

·
Registered
928 Posts
I tried the V-Star shock to lower my bike and while I like the ride in the city, it would consistently bottom out over pot holes, speed bumps, or just bad roads. I went back to the stock shock and the bike feels better. If you can lower the bike by getting a better shorter shock, then I would do that first. Failing that, then drilling the pivot point would be the last choice.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just did that on my 2012 TW200. I used a 2006 V star 1100 shock. Just make sure you adjust the replacement shock for the amount of stiffness you want. It is adjustable. But you have to remove it to adjust. Can't get to it after mounted on your TW200. If not you will feel the shock bottom out on large pot holes. No problem hitting fender or wires.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts