TW200 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 TW, and am a little vertically challenged. I have compensated for that by adding about 2 inches to the soles of my boots. (I have an article on that if anyone is interested in how that works.) That has worked well for me.
However, I have a friend who is even shorter than I am. Her husband just got a BMW dual sport, and he was looking for something his wife could ride to join him. The TW seems to be the lowest dual sport right now, but she is about 3" from the ground when she sits on it.
So was wondering if there was a way to lower the TW some. I think that most of the riding they do will be mostly back roads and seasonal use roads, so wouldn't worry too much about ground clearance in the woods.
I saw in an earlier thread something about using the rear shock from a VStar 1100, and possible doing something to the front forks.

Could someone summarize the whole process of doing that in one message. I would appreciate that immensely and it would then give me a chance to get the information to my friends, so they could work on something for her.

thanks a whole lot.
PWJ

·
Registered
93 Posts
I just recently changed the shock to the v-star shock and raised the forks an inch and a half. It was a huge difference! I am 5' 3'', and was on my tip-toes before the change. Now my feet are safely on the ground. I got the info from Rhode trip. Very happy with the change.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Well... I guess you won't ever be able to ride a xr600! Lol they are taller than a 450!

Sent from Android for Nook Tablet using Taptalk

·
Registered
1,931 Posts

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Kathy on Motorcycle 001.JPG
I removed my swingarm and shock then redrilled the pinhole as low as possible. This lowered the rear a few inches. For the front I simply loosened the tripple trees one side at a time and let the fork tubes slide up about 1 1/4". For the kickstand I just heated it up and bent it away from the bike so that I could easily "restore" it back to stock. My wife as seen in the pic is 5'1" and and actually has her leg bent a bit while flat footing on the bike.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
View attachment 5763
I removed my swingarm and shock then redrilled the pinhole as low as possible. This lowered the rear a few inches. For the front I simply loosened the tripple trees one side at a time and let the fork tubes slide up about 1 1/4". For the kickstand I just heated it up and bent it away from the bike so that I could easily "restore" it back to stock. My wife as seen in the pic is 5'1" and and actually has her leg bent a bit while flat footing on the bike.
That's a good idea for the kickstand. I cut 1-1/4" out of it and welded it back together.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I love this mod. The misses is 5’2“. Between the shock and dropping the forks 2” she can flat foot the bike on level terrain.

Sadly we ride two up a lot. In 3 miles of highway testing, we rubbed holes in the plastic box that is directly in front of the rear tire. We rode 1.5 miles out to geocache on the snake river, realized the problem, on the way back we sat as far forward as possible, but still rubbed a bit. She weighs a bit under 140, and I weigh a bit under 160. Not overloaded by any means.

Wonderful mod for one up. I cannot get it to rub by myself, unless you leave the ground for a bit, not the right use of this bike anyway, but keep in mind these issues if you plan to load up after the lowering.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Two-up riding DEFINITELY requires modding...
Before, we used to sink "down to the axle" (to coin a phrase) but after replacing the rear spring with the Procycle 8.3 spring...it's made all the difference! No rubbing...no more pogo'ing...we still get "looks" though. 😁

1 - 10 of 10 Posts