TW200 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Would you please share any details bout the shock you used? Such as which Kawasaki models/years can be used. Do the mounting points match up without modifications? And details about spring rate and are they adjustable? Thanks for sharing your solution.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Marty

·
Registered
968 Posts
Nice, this will be helpful to shorter folks. A neighbor guy and his wife are seriously considering Dubs. This may make the purchase go - she is like 5'5 and 31" is a little tall

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a Yamaha vstar shock with the shims available. It worked good for weight up to 170 pounds. The ride is softer than the stock shock. I am testing several combinations, but am considering getting Progressive Manufacturing to make a custom setup for the tw 200.

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
I've finished the testing, and for most, the Kawasaki set up will be the choice. If anyone is interested they can contact me and I will provide the details.
If you don't mind bro, how about just posting it up, it will be very helpful for folks in the future.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The shock I selected is from a 07-16 Kawasaki Versys 650. It has a 12 inch pin to pin length and a spring rate that works even for heavier riders. It will be necessary to measure the width of the upper and lower pin mounts on the stock shock and make shims to get the correct width. Washers will work if you can find the right thickness. I have the v star shock, and it was ok for lighter riders, but the lower mount point is not the same style as the TW 200 shock.

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Thank you, I appreciate that bro.

Reactions: troll

·
Registered
611 Posts
The shock I selected is from a 07-16 Kawasaki Versys 650. It has a 12 inch pin to pin length and a spring rate that works even for heavier riders. It will be necessary to measure the width of the upper and lower pin mounts on the stock shock and make shims to get the correct width. Washers will work if you can find the right thickness. I have the v star shock, and it was ok for lighter riders, but the lower mount point is not the same style as the TW 200 shock.
For installation of the V-star shock, you can shim outsides the lower mount with (2) M12 washers. It's that simple. There's no other modification necessary, except you may want to shorten the side stand a bit, as well as triple clamp on the forks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
For installation of the V-star shock, you can shim outsides the lower mount with (2) M12 washers. It's that simple. There's no other modification necessary, except you may want to shorten the side stand a bit, as well as triple clamp on the forks.
The issue is the contact area on the lower pin. Not a lot of load bearing area. The side stand sticks out more than I like. I recurve the stand so it is in more and out of the way. The next step will be to cut the stand pad off and adjust the contact angle.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I suppose if you wanted to get crafty with that lower mount, you could drill the hole out larger and install a sleeve inside the hole and weld it in to place. The mounting bolt would then go through the sleeve. If art is not your deal, I think it will be OK because it would probably take an eternity to wear out the existing lower mount if you left it as-is.

For the side stand, I've seen some peop's cut it off and weld a large washer on the bottom. This is good for when you get in to sand or loose dirt. In mexico, I carry around a flattened beer can with me when I ride. If I stop on sand, I place the beer can under the side stand. This effectively increases the footprint of the side stand, and it doesn't sink-in.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
With the Kawasaki shock you will need two spacers .192, one on each side for the top. On the bottom you will need two spacers .030, one on each side. For the kick stand, I shortened it .600 and welded a washer on the bottom. Then I welded up the hole. It needs to be cut at the appropriate angle so that the washer sits flat when parked on a flat surface.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
IMG_20200717_202656928.jpg
on the Kawasaki shock, there is an adjustment for the valving. The shock should be installed with the adjuster at the top and facing the left side. If it is installed with the adjuster on the right side, the exhaust will restrict access to adjustment.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts