TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,
Just bought 06 TW200 and learned that lowering links are not available for rear shock. I need to lower about 2 inches. I have reviewed threads on this forum and found that some people have lowered rear by using a stock shock from a VStar 1100. I also found info for drilling lower holes on subframe but I don't want to go that route. My question: does anybody know if the VStar shock is a direct bolt on or if it requires modification? Thanks Much. Lou

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
The tw is the lowest dualie on the market with it's 31" seat height. If you find it absolutely necessary to lower it you can drill a new mounting hole for the rear shock or replace the rear shock. You can also replace the metal spacer in the forks with a shorter pvc one to lower the front a bit. Imo you should try to ride it as it is and I'm pretty sure you will just get use to it.

Reactions: Lynlee

·
Registered
196 Posts
So is this for looks :cool: or are you struggling to reach the floor?
I'm only 5'1" & have had to get used to only being able to put one foot down properly flat to the floor, as I like off road stylee bikes
Not had to mod the TW, but on some i've had , as mentioned above, have had to lower the yoke/raise the fork tubes, that doesn't spoil the look of the bike too much
Or buy some thick soled boots :)

·
Registered
1,931 Posts

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
What year range of vstar shock fits? Also curious what cc range or are they the same. Mrs. trip has good taste in color options. I had two tw's and sold one because my wife said it was to tall for her. So I got her a 250 reflex scooter but I want to get her another tw some day.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts

The left hand yellow coil is the stock TW200 shock.
The right hand black coil is the shock off of a 2005 Vstar 1100. As far as I know, the VStar uses the same shock from the early 2000's to the present, but you should confirm the one you select will fit. I do not know about the 650 model. Both of the ones I have purchased are from the 1100cc model.
I recently purchased this shock on ebay, as I am building a new pair of TW's that duplicate the ones we have as dedicated trip bikes. I paid about $50 for it shipped.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I am doing the same thing for my GF, I drilled a second hole for the rear shocks lower mounting bolt (or pin in this case) between that and raising the forks you can easily get your 2" of seat drop your looking for. There was a link in your thread to a pic of the hole, I removed the rear swing arm to make sure the hole was drilled straight and clearanced the lower shock mount a .5" as well.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I think my best option is to do what you did for lowering the bike. Can you tell me exactly what the seat height would be without cutting the foam? I just want to be sure. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Id say 2 to 3 inches lower than stock.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
I also believe getting a shorter shock is the better option for lowering, rather than drilling a hole. If anyone has noticed, the metal the hole would be drilled through is THINNER than what the original mount is through, therefore jeopardizing the integrity. This is also not a good idea if you are to resell the bike and the person buying it would want the shock to the original height. The drilled hole will always be there weakening the strength of the shock's mount. God forbid something happens to the new rider and then realizes the new bolt hole.... The shorter shock could easily be swapped out if need be without making anything permanent. Motorcycling is dangerous enough, let's not cut into things..... I just ordered a shock like rhodetrip did from ebay. It was $30 and can be sold with the bike if I could ever let mine go!

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Here, found a good profile of the "after"

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm interested in getting the seat closer to the ground as well. I'm 5'6" but I guess my legs are short. On flat ground I can touch my toes on both sides of the bike. The problem arrises when my wife rides on the back. Twice now we've stopped on a side hill and our weight (I'm not mentioning any names) has shifted to the downhill side causing a flop-over. By the time I get a foot on the ground we're rolling on the ground like a box of spilt apples. First time I got a WTF from the back seat. Second time we laughed at how stupid it must look. Thankfully we were by ourselves on a back roads.
...so my question is about the shorter shock and if I'm going to compromise clearance for the wheel/fender? or any other compromises? Our weight together is about 260 lbs suited up. Anybody care to comment (on the shorter shock, not how stupid we look).

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
At 5'6" I think the short shock will be overkill. It definitely compromises the clearance and I think 2 up you will have problems. My suggestion is to cut the foam a bit and narrow it and you'll get enough drop. It will be easy to buy more foam if you don't like it...either get a seat concepts or buy the old foam from someone who has.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Are there any compromises to the bike when using the shorter shock? I don't really want to change the bike, but I often ride with my wife on the back and twice now we've flopped the bike when stopped on a side hill. My toes reach on flat ground, but in the 'hillside' situation, if somebody shifts their weight the wrong way (not mentioning any names) then my feet don't reach the ground until we're rolling down the hill like a box of spilt apples. We laugh about it now, but I'd like to have a little more control. I'm avoiding any rides to the Grand Canyon overlooks, ha. I could start with grinding down the seat, but I don't want to induce tired butt syndrome on long rides. Any body care to comment? (on the shorter shock, NOT how stupid we must look)ha.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks Rhodetrip, Thats what I was expecting to hear about the shock. I'm not fond of the new look either (looks are important, ha) I have the seat concepts seat on it now so I'll do some tweaking of the foam.
You may also notice that I'm challenged when posting comments since I've replied twice. I fall down a lot, but I eventually get back up, ha.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I purchased a 2004 TW and I am 5'5". I am not sure if the previous owner made any modifications but I can't put my feet flat. What should I do please?

·
Super Moderator
1,921 Posts
I purchased a 2004 TW and I am 5'5". I am not sure if the previous owner made any modifications but I can't put my feet flat. What should I do please?
Modify the seat foam.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts