TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #1
I got way lucky today, picked up this 1999 TTR-225 for $200.00, unmolested, very low mileage. Original sprocket, not even worn a little and the exaust port is extremely clean. All screw heads are like new even, never turned..
image.png

and this with ZERO! Zero! Miles a 1990 TW200 engine from a dealer who had it on the shelf. He pulled out of the chassis right off the showroom floor way back when and used the chassis for a project. It's been in the back of his shop on a shelf ever since.
image.png

:) yay!

Super Moderator
I got way lucky today, picked up this 1999 TTR-225 for $200.00, unmolested, very low mileage. Original sprocket, not even worn a little and the exaust port is extremely clean. All screw heads are like new even, never turned..
View attachment 30823

and this with ZERO! Zero! Miles a 1990 TW200 engine from a dealer who had it on the shelf. He pulled out of the chassis right off the showroom floor way back when and used the chassis for a project. It's been in the back of his shop on a shelf ever since.
View attachment 30824

Nice... :D

Registered
nice. you will enjoy it

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #6
OOOHHHHH!!!!! Lucky!!! :D Now comes the hard part, what to do... :cool: m.
First step is to buy another TW! I need one to start building so I can keep riding!. I have a line on one but I need to get a real close look at this new 225 and make sure it's as good on the inside as it is on the outside. I also need to get number one daughter a car for college.. This will be a winter build, I'll spend summer and fall collecting all the little pieces.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #8
Great find.
Will the 225 bolt right in?
Yes but the sprocket shaft needs to be swapped with a modified one from a TW (new groove cut and a spacer made)
225 shafts are shorter and don't extend into the side cover oil fed bearing like on a TW. So you need the TW side cover too and the proper stator/ etc and flywheel.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #12
A lot of Wharton roads have been closed down by njdep, the roads to batsto have. I've been wanting to look into that before I go down.

Let me know if and when you are going. I might be able to make it but I may have to work, not sure 100% just yet.

Im a parts hog I'll probably will be holding on to them. It never fails, I get rid of something and then need it!

And what might you do with your older TW engines?
I may be in Wharton this weekend if I don't need to be in Pittsburgh as usual,
It would be my first time on two wheels there since I was there on my Honda CB750,
Should be an interesting trip.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #13

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #15
No no oil gallery to the case bearing and it might be a sloppy fit and wobble.. I don't know if it's been tested yet. It would need a sealed bearing. It's pretty neet 3D printing. IF it's gonna go live why not build in dual sprocket ability ;)

Registered
No no oil gallery to the case bearing and it might be a sloppy fit and wobble.. I don't know if it's been tested yet. It would need a sealed bearing. It's pretty neet 3D printing. IF it's gonna go live why not build in dual sprocket ability ;)
Might be a sloppy fit and wobble? Well we did not engineer in a sloppy fit or a wobble, but a special order for one could be made, but it would cost more! Even a sloppy fit extension would probably not move around much as the sprocket runs immediately adjacent to the outer bearing. However these are very precisely machined! And keep in mind that the TW counter shaft/outer bearing/side cover design is WAY over engineered....I am speculating here....but I suspect the additional outer bearing was primarily added by Yamaha as a precaution against the TW owner who way over tightens his chain and then really puts a load on the counter shaft by running the rear suspension thru its travel (which tightens the chain ALOT more!) Perhaps w/o these extreme loads, the outer bearing is not necessary.....Perhaps.... We do not think wobbling is going be an issue here and after we assembled the engine we could not perceive any movement at all....Testing will answer these questions

By the way, the allen keys on the extension are not there to eliminate wobble or take up slack....they are only there to retain the proper horizontal location of the extension and to utilize the thrust retention that Yamaha built in to the countershaft.

As far as the sealed bearing is concerned, we think it should last at least as long as a set of chain and sprockets. Maybe longer. On the ttr engine we are using as a testbed, we used an open bearing, sealed off the oil return passage, and filled the bearing and cavity with grease. The stock oil seal is used to seal the bearing... We considered adding a grease zirk, as there is a great spot to add one, but we think it will not be needed.

I have built 2 Six speed TWs and I was pretty skeptical that this extension would work, now I am very confident that it will work....I wish it had been available before I did my 2 builds....

Registered
Those motors should not be used, for parts or otherwise.

They belong in a museum.

And, It just so happens that I am starting one up. I will PM you an address to send them to and I will send you an Official Certificate of Donation along with a photograph of a cheap imitation bronze plaque that expresses our gratitude and honors you, that will be displayed over these rare and preserved, fine articles of history, kept safely for posterity's sake.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Well keep keep us posted on the testing! I was worried those set screws were for wobble! Honestly I like the zerk fitting idea. If you go through water you need to push new grease in to push the water out and that is a fact.

Might be a sloppy fit and wobble? Well we did not engineer in a sloppy fit or a wobble, but a special order for one could be made, but it would cost more! Even a sloppy fit extension would probably not move around much as the sprocket runs immediately adjacent to the outer bearing. However these are very precisely machined! And keep in mind that the TW counter shaft/outer bearing/side cover design is WAY over engineered....I am speculating here....but I suspect the additional outer bearing was primarily added by Yamaha as a precaution against the TW owner who way over tightens his chain and then really puts a load on the counter shaft by running the rear suspension thru its travel (which tightens the chain ALOT more!) Perhaps w/o these extreme loads, the outer bearing is not necessary.....Perhaps.... We do not think wobbling is going be an issue here and after we assembled the engine we could not perceive any movement at all....Testing will answer these questions

By the way, the allen keys on the extension are not there to eliminate wobble or take up slack....they are only there to retain the proper horizontal location of the extension and to utilize the thrust retention that Yamaha built in to the countershaft.

As far as the sealed bearing is concerned, we think it should last at least as long as a set of chain and sprockets. Maybe longer. On the ttr engine we are using as a testbed, we used an open bearing, sealed off the oil return passage, and filled the bearing and cavity with grease. The stock oil seal is used to seal the bearing... We considered adding a grease zirk, as there is a great spot to add one, but we think it will not be needed.

I have built 2 Six speed TWs and I was pretty skeptical that this extension would work, now I am very confident that it will work....I wish it had been available before I did my 2 builds....

Registered
Well keep keep us posted on the testing! I was worried those set screws were for wobble! Honestly I like the zerk fitting idea. If you go through water you need to push new grease in to push the water out and that is a fact.
The seal in question is the same design that is used on the countershaft on the other side of the sprocket. This seal does not allow water to enter the engine or allow oil to escape....a grease zirk would be more appropriate if there was an exit for the old grease to escape. The water will stay out and the grease will stay in.....as long as the seal does not fail. By the way, part of the testing will include monitoring the condition of this seal....early or frequent failure of this seal would indicate that the extension is oscillating/wobbling.....

Registered
View attachment 30823

View attachment 30824

That is called "Stepping in stink and walking away smelling like a rose"! Great score and I would absolutely keep those right in my possession just because! There are a few threads here from those who have implanted the 225 engines as well as from others who have transplanted the 6 speed transmissions into the 200 engines. Seems to me to be a lot of work for a very small increase in performance but what the hell if you like diving into the depths. I wonder if the XT 250 engine might be a better donor engine to begin with on such a project?

GaryL

1 - 20 of 33 Posts