TW200 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's an open invitation for Truelight and Admiral's next adventure. Truelight (and me too) is itchin to get a fall ride in and see the color's. Truelight came up with the route and we agreed to a date (weather dependent).

We will post our completed ride report in this thread in the week following our ride, should we survive.

Who: Truelight, Admiral and anyone else who wants to join.

What: Another TW200 Dual-Sport Adventure Ride. All others welcome, as long as you don't ride faster than we do!

Where: Meet/Start/Finish-Spring Shores Marina (Lucky Peak Reservoir). Up M. Fork Boise River, cross over to N. Fork Boise River, head to Idaho City on Rabbit Crk Rd; head to Thorn Crk Butte L.O.; then back to Start/Finsh.

Edit: 15 Oct. When: Wednesday, 18 Oct, 0900. Changed date from 19th to 18th.

Why: Cause it ain't winter yet.

Here's an overview map.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
This is why I ride with Admiral... (besides the fact that he's a nice guy and goes slow enough I can keep up...)...
....Because he's a meticulous planner and has yet to get me lost, even on the often confusing backcountry Idaho forest service and logging roads. Look at the beautiful map! I gave him a rough idea of where I'd like to go and he came up with this.

Now... I want to recall we have a few other Idaho riders, maybe even a couple in the Boise area, no? Come join us! This is going to be a really nice ride.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Getting lost is just part of the adventure..sometimes you find the best trails while your lost. Turn the lights out and try navigating back on a trail you've been on 10 times before..its a little challenging.

·
Registered
13,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I edited the first entry changing our ride from the 19th to the 18th.

Heyduke (Mike) from Twin Falls is joining us.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I sure wish I could! Have fun!

Bag

·
Registered
88 Posts
Man would I like to do those rides. Gotta to get a trailer to come down your way. Thanks for posting and all the Idaho invitations. One day hope to make one.

·
Registered
13,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Well, I think the three of us (Heyduke, Truelight, and me), will agree we had a good ride. Pretty darn chilly to start the day. I had frost on my truck windshield as I left the house. Didn't warm up much by the time we got to the start/finish area.

It was a long day of riding, 118 in all, but the only way to make it shorter was to stop short and retrace our route. Our route was mostly a loop with no available shortcut, and we had just a little riding on the same part near the reservoirs at the beginning and end.

About half way through, we took a short detour to Idaho City so Truelight and Heyduke could refuel, just to be safe. After leaving Idaho City and heading toward Thorn Creek Butte Lookout, I really began to doubt my navigational skills and wondered if I had taken the wrong turn. About 3/4 of the way to the lookout, we saw it. I told truelight "want to tell you something, but want to wait until we get to the lookout". When we arrived, I told him I thought we were lost as I couldn't remember the route up. But in the end I got it right, but I was worried for a while.

Anyway, here is my version of events. Enjoy!

Adding a couple photo's. Some are in the video, couple are not.

Truelight

Heyduke

F.S. road 376

Cottonwood Guard Station

Arrowrock Dam

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Fun!!! That's my kind of riding, too - in the dirt. Watching your video is the next best thing to being there. Thanks for taking us along.

·
Registered
163 Posts
It was a great trip. Thank you so much for putting it together and letting me join. Hope to do another one with you soon.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I've been really busy with other projects lately so it will be a bit before I can add my pics and such, but I'd add that it was a beautiful ride in some gorgeous Idaho backcountry that was awash in autumn color. As great a job as Admiral does with his video, still and ride reports, it's hard to capture here how nice it is to get out in the woods this time of year. A good ride with some great company... ya just can't beat it.

I'll add my pics and more when I get a chance.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Cool video! I lived in Boise from 86-91 brought back memories of that area. I haven't really been back since 94, other then passing through a few times on the freeway.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
You're getting to be quite the video producer. A real range of terrain, and by the looks of it, things are starting to cool down 'some'. I enjoyed the ride. Thanks. Gerry

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Awesome! Great Job. It's like I was there, but my hands didn't get cold!!

Bag

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Finally finding a little time to add a couple of the pics I took on the ride...

Along the road travelling upstream along the Middle Fork of the Boise River...

There was no danger we'd lose HeyDuke on the ride nor that any hunters might mistake him for a deer...

How nice that someone formed a little pool to catch the hotsprings runoff... Especially when we needed to thaw our frozen fingers on a really chilly morning ride!

More hot springs across the river...

Pano-view. Admiral at the right edge of the frame

The "Three Amigos" L-R - Admiral, HeyDuke, and Truelight atop Thorn Creek Butte summit at the lookout...

On a clear day...you can see the Sawtooth Mountains far to the east on the horizon...

I might have a little video clip, but I'm still extracting it. More later.

Overall, it was a really great ride!!

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
OK, here's a little video clip. Unfortunately, I'm still working out the bugs on a chest-mount for the camera and since the trails we were riding were a bit rough... be advised that you may need a barf bag handy when watching this clip!!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qz-zhBVdCs&feature=youtube_gdata[/media]

Now, just as a demo of what my little camera can do when I submit a full-HD clip and the road is a bit smoother... (View this full-screen in HD 1080i mode for best effect)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdt6YClLK7M[/media]

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to share with us! That is quite a camera you have there. I enjoyed the shots, especially the close-up of the Sawtooths. Beautiful! Also, I don't see a problem with the videos. It looks just like I was on there with you. We all know when you're riding in the ruff stuff there is going to be some bouncing around. Good stuff, and looks like you had a lot of fun! My wife also bought me one of those watches to clip to my bars. Thanks again.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts