TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 255 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my TW for four days, just licensed it today, and I know that I need a rear luggage rack. I plan to use the bike for errands around town so I need cargo capacity.

I really like the Cycleracks version. That's one big, beefy rack they have there. It's the most expensive option I've found but it also looks bigger than the rest and there's another big issue. The bike has no turn signals. I've ordered some universal aftermarket lights. The mounting holes for the rear signals has a big hole so I'll probably have to bodge them on with some washers and a bushing somehow. Some of the racks I've found online appear to mount to those points so I'm leery of complicating that whole deal. The Cyclerack doesn't appear to use those as mounting points so that's definitely a plus for them.

I also found this rack at Happytrails.com. I know lots of KLR guys swear by their stuff. Does anyone have experience with this rack? It looks like they've repositioned the turn signals.

Then there's the Moose Expedition rack:

It looks like that one doesn't use the turn signal holes for the mount but it may not be as solid as Cycleracks.

Of course there's always the Yamaha version which I'm sure a lot of you folks use. The other options are all a little cheaper than Cycleracks but I rarely buy something just because it's cheaper.

Suggestions anyone?

I think I need a tool roll or something up front to keep the registration and odds and ends in. Any suggestions? I don't think I need a whole rack up there. I was looking at this guy but I haven't made up my mind yet.

Still haven't removed the seat yet. It looks like I'll have to get a new tool to get those mounting bolts off. The PO said something about a tool kit and I suppose it must be under the seat somewhere, right? ( I haven't even downloded the owner's manual yet.) If that's the case, I'll have to have a tool to get to the tool kit. Another reason to get a fork bag.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I've got the Happy Trails one, it's worked well. Got it mostly because I wanted hard side bags, and Happy Trails had a side rack kit that integrates with it.

Like you say the turn signals fit on supplied extensions.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Here is the actual Moose Expedition Rack picture. It is different than the one posted above. I really like this rack. If I didn't have an OEM rack I would seriously look at this one.

Moose Expedition Rack

Another option for the rear rack is from Turbo City. Bigger than the Yamaha rack but not as big or beefy as the cyclerack. Comparable to the Moose.

Borrego Rack

Also what do you think about using one of the Agri Tool Tubes under the rear left side plastic instead of a front bag. Easy access and keeps the front end nice and clean. Check out this thread

The Famous Storage Tube

·
Registered
46 Posts
I had the Happy-Trail Rack and it was sturdy and large but you do have to lengthen your signals, parts are included. I have also run the cyclerack rack and it is I think the most solid but comes at a price. The cycle rack rack is heaviest and has arms that come down to the passenger pegs, so can get in the way and pinch your leg if you fall or have a passenger. There are many who run the cycerack and love it but it was not my favorite. I switched my last TW to the OEM rack and was very happy. For the amount of gear you probably will be carrying the OEM rack should suffice and is great with or without luggage on.

Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
204 Posts
The moose and turbo city rack is the same thing. I bought the moose distributed one; it had a turbo city instruction sheet with it. Moose does a lot of selling others products under their name.

it's a good rack.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
You can't forget that the cyclerack is replaced for free if broken. It's supposedly saved one or two TW owners that got rearended also.

·
Registered
231 Posts
+1 for cycleracks rear rack. you could winch yer bike up a cliff with that rack.

i would suggest changing out the stock bolts that are under the seat. they arent strength rated very high cos all they normally do is hold the rear plastic down. i upgraded to 10.9 rated bolts after snapping the heads off the stock bolts torqueing the rack down.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good point, ATX. That would be a cheap and simple upgrade. With the way I tend to load down a bike, more strength is a very good thing.

I have a question about the Cycleracks front rack. How much stuff can go on there before you start to block the headlight? Not much from the looks of it. Other than that it looks like a fine piece of gear.

·
Super Moderator
652 Posts
Ripshod,

I have yet to find a good use for the front rack other that extra weight to hold my front tire down on steep hills.....

·
Registered
51 Posts
The front cycle rack is great for tie downs in a trailer or hitch rack. Also good for lifting the front end of the bike. But for carrying things? Yeah not much.

I took the front and rear cycle racks off my bike when I bought it because they were just TOO big. The rear rack bars got in the way of my legs.

·
Registered
51 Posts
If you just have to have a front rack, something like this would work better for the headlight.

Ebay Dualsportracks

Not my listing just another idea.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah Monster, that high rack looks like something you could actually put a bag on if you really, really needed the cargo room. After you've used every other square inch of the bike to hang bags from.

As far as holding the incidentals, I just ordered a Kriega Stash. The PO installed a crossbar on the handlebars. I guess that's what you'd call it. I'm new to this whole off-road thing. Anyway, the back of the Stash has a wide belt loop so I'll just lift one side of the crossbar and slide the Stash onto it. I won't keep any real valuables in it so it doesn't have to go with me when I get off the bike and it doesn't have to be 100% waterproof. I can spray it down with silicone so it'll be pretty darn resistant and that's good enough. I'll put the papers in a ziplock.

As far as the rear rack is concerned, I'm starting to lean toward the Cyclerack. The Medium Motofizz Seat Bag will fit well on it. If I go that route I'll probably go ahead and get the side bag supports. They're simple, relatively cheap, and very easy to mount and remove. (They may even fit on some other brands.) I may never need them but who knows...

I'm in no hurry. The mirrors and turn signals will come on the UPS truck tomorrow. I'm still not ready for the road.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I purchased a borrego rack,how do you disconnect the signal wires to attach rack? do you have to cut bands to get to the connectors? mine are covered in a plastic tube,do you cut that to get at wires? thanks for your help.

·
Registered
78 Posts
...As far as the rear rack is concerned, I'm starting to lean toward the Cyclerack...
+1 on the Cyclerack. The rack stems bolting onto the rear peg mounts is what sold me. Loading up the rack weights the bike more like a passenger vs. the OEM rack. Much more stable handling.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Really like the Cycle-Rack but since I already fabricated a set-up for my sidebags it seemed that I needed to build my own rack. It is designed to be 'quickly' removable, but all the connectors for my electronics really slow that process down. Here is what I moved toward (I have a wire welder). Gerry

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have the one from Yamaha. just the right size for me and I attached a tool box to carry things. But it came with the bike so not sure if I would have bought it. But I like it!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have the cycle rack and really like it. It is well worth the money. In fact while moving up to alaska this summer our 2 place snowmobile trailer flipped on the cassiar highway through canada. I had the bike mounted between the snowgos and the cycle rack was holding the trailer up off both the sleds and basically not only saved the rear end of my bike but also the sleds. Cycle rack is the way to go.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have the cycle rack and really like it. It is well worth the money. In fact while moving up to alaska this summer our 2 place snowmobile trailer flipped on the cassiar highway through canada. I had the bike mounted between the snowgos and the cycle rack was holding the trailer up off both the sleds and basically not only saved the rear end of my bike but also the sleds. Cycle rack is the way to go.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi, after much thought I'm about ready to order the rear Cycle Rack. The only thing holding me back is: it looks like the wide berth would make any unfortunate extra passenger suffer extreme pain in their legs. Don at Cycle Racks assured me this is not the case and that it actually makes a passenger feel more secure (I guess it gives him or her something to hang on to.

Anybody with any direct experience or opinions on this?

Thanks a lot - Richard

1 - 20 of 255 Posts