TW200 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would running the engine at 35mph in 5th gear be considered lugging the engine?. Perhaps a strange question,but,hey,it was on my mind:D. TIA

·
Registered
503 Posts
it all depends on your gearing of course. I am 15/50, and would not call this a lugging condition. That being said, its all dependent on road inclination and amount of throttle.
just my opinion, TIM

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
Would running the engine at 35mph in 5th gear be considered lugging the engine?. Perhaps a strange question,but,hey,it was on my mind:D. TIA
Only if you were going up a long steep hill.....oh, I forgot, you don't have hills in Ohio.:p

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Sw Ohio is full of hills. If your just cruising it is fine but if your going up a big hill and it starts chugging then yeah your luggin it. Just listen to her. She will let you know if she is happy or not!

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Am I missing something or is there some reason to not kick it down a gear when poking along? Cruising along and not placing a demand for acceleration will not hurt. Each gear has a happy place and these one lung engines will be sure to let you know when the demand does not meet the gear selection.

GaryL

Reactions: jbfla

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rocky,yes,we have hills,we do not have,like you do in ID,MOUNTAINS.
Thanks for all the reply's.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
This brings up a question I have always wondered about. What does lugging the engine actually hurt?

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
This brings up a question I have always wondered about. What does lugging the engine actually hurt?
I think severe lugging could hurt everything from the clutch and gear box right through the entire engine, crank shaft, connecting rod, piston and pin, head and base gaskets, valves and cam. Look at the act of lugging like placing a 6,000 pound load on a 3,000 pound winch. You are putting a demand on a mechanical device that it is not designed to handle. Transmissions are there to lessen these strains.

GaryL

Reactions: lizrdbrth

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
In 2008 when Polaris first came out with their new side by side RZR 800, me, my brother and a pal all bought one. These machines come with a constant velocity tranny which is basically a big rubber band that rides up and down on squeeze plates. The higher it rides the faster you go. The tranny has low and high range so you can select between going fast or going slow depending on the terrain.

Lots of guys started pitching a beech because they were melting the rubber band belts. My pal and brother both burned theirs up pretty quick and I purchased a spare for when mine would blow. I still have the spare belt and the original one is still in great shape. When I am going slow and placing a strong demand on the tranny I always go in low range. My pal and brother just always left theirs in high range and have been replacing belts regularly.

With our TWs and tranny's that have selectable gears it would be like starting off from a dead stop in second or third gear. Makes no sense and places a big demand on both engine, gear case and clutch.

Yes, you can cruise along in high gear on flat or down hill stretches and do no harm. As soon as you hit an incline or when you want to accelerate to a faster speed you should absolutely kick it down a gear or two to lessen the pressures on all systems. Your engine and tranny and clutch will last much longer if you select the right gear for the condition and use the tranny as it was intended to be used.

GaryL

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
Rocky,yes,we have hills,we do not have,like you do in ID,MOUNTAINS.
Thanks for all the reply's.
Sorry, I couldn't resist....:rolleyes:

One easy way to determine whether or not you are logging the engine in any situation is if you add some throttle and get no increase or a very slow increase in engine RPM. If you are busy with a nasty hill climb you might not hear the engine laboring. but the lack of RPM response is a dead giveaway. One exception is in top gear if you are already well up towards the top of the RPM band and the TW will hold speed but not accelerate. In your example above this would be more like 55 mph, not 35.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I believe my main concern and I should have put this in my original post,is oil pressure.For some reason it popped in my head that running in 5th gear @ 35 mph would somehow lessen oil pressure to the head / piston ?. Just silly me I suppose.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts