TW200 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Been quite awhile since I posted on here... that'd be because one year ago this week a car pulled put in front of me and I had to lay the Tdub down. Hard.
Spent the last year in various stages of knee surgeries and have thankfully been back on the bike for awhile now.
I'll share my own crash story, and the gnarly pictures (30 staples in the knee at one point), later.

This week I also got a notification that the original motovlogger, M13 (Mordeth 13), was in a pretty brutal accident.
https://www.facebook.com/Mordeth13/photos/a.546119788755683.1073741825.120131058021227/865732166794442/?type=1&theater

Figured there might be a few folks on here that followed him from time to time over the years and thought I'd pass on the news.
He's in need of some help, with every little dollar counting, so if you are feeling charitable, his Paypal is [email protected] (yes, the extra "e" is correct, check his site for confirmation).
Most things are covered in taiwan at 80%, but that extra 20% and the loss of working ability adds up.
I can say, for experience, that if I wasn't a graduate student with amazing insurance thanks to OSU, I'd personally be bankrupt myself right now.
Three knee surgeries alone was over $150K.
M13 broke both femurs and is apparently losing part of his left hand.

He basically invented motovlogging, and has passed on a lot of useful educational material to new riders out there over the year, so check him out if you don't already know him, and if you can send a dollar or two his way, then many thanks.

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
Oldest son is a grad of OSU{actuarial science} and glad you had the insurance, I know we insisted he take advantage of it when he was a student there.....best of luck in your continued recovery....

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, OSU has a platinum medical plan for its students.
My out of pocket deductible was $2K.
Since the insurance works on the academic calendar, I didn't pay a dime Jan-Aug after paying off the deductible.
I figure there was something approaching $200-250k total billed in that time period.
And I had one of the best surgeons in the country (OSU BasketBall doc) work on me.

Of course, the accident happened on campus, and the fire dept (which responds to a stupid number of false alarms daily) never called the cops, so the car that pulled out got away.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Sorry if this has been discussed before but does anyone know if he was wearing gloves? I wonder if he was wearing thin mesh gloves

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He hasn't mentioned gloves and I don't think he was. He was riding his scooter at the time and hit a barrier and went over the wall to a 35ft drop.
My suspicion is that he jammed, pinched, and ripped the top of his left hand between the bars and the barrier in the millisecond before he went over.
Basically, good handguards would have saved him, but they don't make em for scooters (to my knowledge).
My Barkbusters have saved my hands and levers on enough occasions to have paid for themselves many times over.

Here's a picture of the damage.... fair warning it is extremely graphic and brutal. Open link at your own risk. Seriously.
https://www.facebook.com/Mordeth13/photos/a.546119788755683.1073741825.120131058021227/869598676407791/?type=1&theater

·
Registered
648 Posts
Ive only ridden without my gear once for 1 mile. I've let a friend ride my bike for a few miles without any gear. I need to stop setting bad examples

1 - 8 of 8 Posts