TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mac air problem. Since about the middle of today a one and a half inch ribbon that looks like metallic threads creating a translucent band running vertically down the near center of my screen. Do any of you know what causes this? It sometimes causes a metallic color on pictures. It makes reading text difficult. Is my machine wearing out?
Is it fixable? WTF?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Take it into the Apple Store if possible, not a general computer service center. There's a good chance they will fix or replace it for free.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Display is going... Not sure what the $ would be to fix/replace but it will not be cheap.

I would do what cpit recommended. If you have no extended warranty or not. Probably cost +400.

I have a MBair also, about 3 years now. A very nice laptop but expensive.

Example of cost:

MacBook Air Screen Replacement

Jim

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took it to the Apple store and their wizard worked on it for three days. 62.50 was the bill and it is almost fixed. They said another 400 might take care of the problem.
My next computer will not be Apple.
I have had three mac laptops now and Apple is no longer in my future.
Apple puts intrusive malware into their up grades and puts time triggered fails into their product so that you need to buy another one.
When Steve Jobs died the company went to hell as far as ethics goes.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
?....

Apple puts intrusive malware into their up grades and puts time triggered fails into their product so that you need to buy another one.
I'm curious what the malware is, and the time-triggered fails are.

Is it anything more than the "reporting" back to Apple of your online activity and location?

Microsoft, Google, and Amazon all do the same thing.

jb

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
I took it to the Apple store and their wizard worked on it for three days. 62.50 was the bill and it is almost fixed. They said another 400 might take care of the problem.
I am not a fan of Apple. They were however a driving force in the development of better products and better quality PC's.

Tom

Reactions: Smitty Blackstone

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
When they upgraded to the system before el capitan it destroyed my kindle books and made some other stuff I was using not work.
It was impossible to go back to where it was so I had to have the complete memory wiped and started over again. My computer suffers blackouts
and the mac wizards tell me that it is because I refuse upgrades. I consider it is a way to try to coerce me into accepting upgrades that I do not want.
Mac has been this way since shortly after Jobs died. There whole system is focused towards eliminating the ability to run anything not Apple originated .
Since the only action I have is to vote with my dollars, I choose to not buy Apple products any more. Phukem!
Tom is right, I am not a fan of Apple. They were however a driving force in the development of better products and better quality PC's.

Tom

I agree Tom but that was when Steve Jobs was alive.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
When they upgraded to the system before el capitan it destroyed my kindle books and made some other stuff I was using not work.
It was impossible to go back to where it was so I had to have the complete memory wiped and started over again. My computer suffers blackouts
and the mac wizards tell me that it is because I refuse upgrades. I consider it is a way to try to coerce me into accepting upgrades that I do not want.
Mac has been this way since shortly after Jobs died. There whole system is focused towards eliminating the ability to run anything not Apple originated .
Since the only action I have is to vote with my dollars, I choose to not buy Apple products any more. Phukem!
"..........
It's unfortunate your books and other "stuff" were lost, but that can happen in any operating system.

That's the reason for backups, both on external drives, DVD's, and the "cloud" (though I'm not a fan of the cloud for security reasons).

The OS upgrades you talk about apply equally to Apple and Microsoft. In the effort to make each OS more secure, it is inevitable that older software will not run on the new code.

I have shelves full of old Windows and Mac software CDs that will no longer run on any machine.

You could certainly reinstall an older version of Apple's OS X, and run it as a stand alone machine.

When you get you new Windows computer with Win 10, be sure to track down the dozens of settings that share everything on your computer with Microsoft.

Change is inevitable, though I don't like it any more than you do. That's why I like my 10 year old motorcycles better that the new ones.... ;)

jb

·
Registered
141 Posts
The malware idea is 100% untrue. I am sorry to hear about your experience though. If I were you, I'd try calling apple customer service and explaining the situation (as politely as possible). It's tough to control the customer service experience across all retail stores, but maybe you'll have better luck on the phone.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If it destroys functions that I already have and use, and does it because it is designed to, that meets the definition of malware. Just because it is company policy and not some anarchist doesn't make it any less malware. It shows a disrespect for customers.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
If it destroys functions that I already have and use, and does it because it is designed to, that meets the definition of malware. Just because it is company policy and not some anarchist doesn't make it any less malware. It shows a disrespect for customers.
Again, sorry for your bad Apple experience.

There are lots of Apple haters, just like there are Chinese motorcycle haters.... ;)

I would be willing to wager there are more Microsoft haters than Mac haters.

I use both Mac and Win machines on a daily basis. Both have there faults.

The hating serves no useful purpose, except to raise your blood pressure and give you indigestion. :).

Buy your Win based computer, and move on.

Then you can give a positive report back on your great Microsoft experience.

jb

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
Again, sorry for your bad Apple experience.

There are lots of Apple haters, just like there are Chinese motorcycle haters.... ;)

I would be willing to wager there are more Microsoft haters than Mac haters.

I use both Mac and Win machines on a daily basis. Both have there faults.

The hating serves no useful purpose, except to raise your blood pressure and give you indigestion. :).

Buy your Win based computer, and move on.

Then you can give a positive report back on your great Microsoft experience.

jb
A touch snarky there at the end but I get it:rolleyes: The only device that has served me trouble free from beginning to end without even a single issue EVER is my two Chromebooks! It is true that they lack the functionality of Windows or Mac machines BUT for everyday internet, word, excel and powerpoint type needs it is an exceptional tool. I have been getting ten hour battery life from my first Chromebook going on five years now which is long before any truly lightweight Mac or Windows machines were capable of such longevity.

Tom

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
A touch snarky there at the end but I get it:rolleyes:
Sorry for the "snarkyness", Tom and Phelonius.....I only meant it a little.... ;)

I was a computer tech for Mac and Windows machines for 15 years....I have reason to dislike them both.

The only device that has served me trouble free from beginning to end without even a single issue EVER is my two Chromebooks! .....

Tom
Tom, I read your previous recommendations of Chromebooks with interest. Seems like an economical way to be online.

Much better than my experience with the $50 Kindle Fire from Amazon.

On another forum there are Google haters that go on and on about how they wouldn't go near a Chromebook.

Might have to try one... ;)

jb

Reactions: Dryden-Tdub

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
Sorry for the "snarkyness", Tom and Phelonius.....I only meant it a little.... ;)

I was a computer tech for Mac and Windows machines for 15 years....I have reason to dislike them both.

Tom, I read your previous recommendations of Chromebooks with interest. Seems like an economical way to be online.

Much better than my experience with the $50 Kindle Fire from Amazon.

On another forum there are Google haters that go on and on about how they wouldn't go near a Chromebook.

Might have to try one... ;)

jb
Send me an address and I will format one and send it to you for trial purposes.:)

Tom

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Send me an address and I will format one and send it to you for trial purposes.:)

Tom
Tom, I would like to take you up on your generous offer.

But perhaps Phelonius might like to try out a Chromebook first, since this is his thread.

If not, I would be happy to test drive the CB.

PM sent.

jb

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
Tom, I would like to take you up on your generous offer.

But perhaps Phelonius might like to try out a Chromebook first, since this is his thread.

If not, I would be happy to test drive the CB.

PM sent.

jb

I will cover the shipping charge to you IF you cover the shipping to LT when you have played with it long enough. Deal?

Tom

Reactions: jbfla

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
I will cover the shipping charge to you IF you cover the shipping to LT when you have played with it long enough. Deal?

Tom
Sounds good to me.

Thanks.

jb

·
Registered
762 Posts
The quality of the HARDWARE, is a great appeal. Design and good integration. I had a Mac Mini and an Air Mac for about two years.

Two things soured me: First, that they so RESISTED use of their machines the way most people would use a PC. For example, word processing. I've used Open Office for ten years - since I moved to Linux from Windows, back then...when whatever Windoze version replaced XP. Linux was more stable, a tenth the size, and frankly did more and did it for free. I converted all my WordWorks documents to Open Office and it was good.

Open Office makes an OSX version. It's not an especially good version. I know from experiences with Macs 16 years ago, that AppleWorks and whatever replaced it, does NOT convert to Word or Open Office or any other format. WordPerfect used to be able to do the conversion - but WordPerfect is abandonware now.

ALWAYS Apple is trying to sell users something - and encouraging, pressuring them to store their data in the "cloud." Which has been hacked repeatedly and will be again.

For under a hundred bucks, I have a couple of external hard drives. THAT is where I store my stuff. Absolutely hack-free; and I have two...one to back up the other.

Only trouble is, Mac OSX does not do searches on hard drives. Frankly its search tool on its OWN hard-drive is wonky - misses a lot. But OSX can read, but will not write or search, on a hard-drive formatted NTSF. And a 1 TB hard drive is too big to use FAT on.

All this crap...and twice the price of a PC. Now...I loved the milled aluminum case of the Air Mac; but those COULD break - and there were horror stories. Frankly, from a cost/repair standpoint, plastic would have been better.

The battery life was remarkable, true - but that technology is trickling down to laptops, now.

As a last ditch, I tried to put Linux on it. Supposedly it's doable; but I failed. Maybe it's just as well...I live in a college town; and there's a guy here who makes a living selling used Apple stuff. IPhones are a big thing now; but he bought both my Mac computers for about half what I paid for them. Which, with eighteen months of use, was probably more than fair.

I have a new policy now: I will buy new computers ONLY at pawnshops. I have a laptop and netbook; both took Linux easily. On this box I have Windoze - for the times I really, really need it; for scanning and proprietary programs. And Open Office, like Firefox, works fine on it. Windows has really improved that way.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts