TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I had a tw like 20 years ago and remember getting a wad of muddy leaves jammed betwixt the tire and front fender and it kinda made for a sketchy time. I recently acquired another tw and decided I wasn’t going to do that again. I made some spacers to lift the fender up off of the tire a bit. I feel an inch is a good number, keeps the t-dub looks, doesn’t cause interference issues with fender and lower fork clamp, and lets debris flow through a little better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
17,639 Posts
I think 3/4 or 7/8 will be ok, but if I remember right, anything more will hit if you bottom the forks out.

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
I’ll give it a shot, I ride like a grandpa so may not be an issue.
Little Tommy is right. I originally used 1" spacers to raise the front fender and found that the front fender bracket would smack the underside of the lower triple clamp. I currently am using springs that raise the fender about 3/4".

p.s. I am a grandpa, and I ride like a grandma!

·
Super Moderator
17,639 Posts
Find a TW niche and fill it and you're in business!! ;):D

·
Registered
19,206 Posts
Do believe all our TWs come with 6.0 inches of fork travel.
With forks extended measure distance from top of fender brace to lower triple clamp.
With spacers installed subtract above measurement from 6.0 inches.
This is the amount of lost suspension travel, point at which cross brace slams into bottom of triple clamp.
Springs rather than solid spacers can reduce the amount of lost suspension travel.
However fender tends to rock a bit as it is suspended on four springs rather than a solid connection.
However a springy fender is sure better than getting stopped with an immobile front wheel due to mud-lock between tire and stock fender. I have had to hike out away from my bike in a similar situation and return with long metal tools to remove mud/grass/sagebrush composite.
Best solution to avoid mud-lock is a replacement high mounted fender like almost all conventional off-road motorcycles come equipped with. Stock fender is a serious compromise once one level the the pavement.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just received a pm from spewingjason and mine are already cut, go figure! :) :) :)
I went with the Shinko SR244 5.10 x 18 tire and wanted a wee bit more space between the tire and the fender.......
Thank you for sharing speyingjason!
Here’s the kit I put together for you putt-putt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
17,639 Posts
1 - 20 of 62 Posts