TW200 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19,430 Posts
That is a nice drive, especially if not in a hurry. I just flowed through once in a 4x4 with my dirt bike in the back.
What is the plan Bodi? Motorcycles only? In-and-out in one day? Overnight in-and-out? One-way with chase vehicle? Base camp partway?
If I recall breaks in the forest affording nice views were few for vast stretches, but that made them special.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Still trying to get our plans set. Looks like we'll be driving it in the truck August 13-18th. Be coming from Yellowstone after kayaking, so no bikes for me on this trip. We would want to take 2-4 days on it seeing the scenery

·
Registered
13,348 Posts
We drove the Magruder in our P/U a few years back. Motorcycle is great but beware if driving a car or truck because there are several narrow places which don't allow 2 way traffic or a way to pull off on the shoulder. We met a pickup truck and had to backup about 1/4 mile before finding a spot to let the other vehicle go by. This would only be a concern if you have a chase vehicle or support vehicle going ahead on the road.

Many, many, many did I say many fires in recent years has enhanced your view of the mountains because a lot of the tree's are burnt. You'll be surprised how much of the forest has burnt in several area's. We were and there's been more fires after we went through. Also, there has been numerous road closures over the past few years when fires get to close. Hopefully, this won't be an issue during the desired dates listed.

I hope you plan to do more than one day's ride because there are a couple roads off Magruder worth the side trip. Same with Burnt Knob Lookout. Many people pass this by because they are on big bikes. It is rough getting up to the lookout but very doable on a TW size motorbike.

There is lots to see on either end of the road but I'm only familiar with the Elk City side. You could easily extend your visit riding all over the Elk City side of the Magruder. This is the area I held the PNW version of the Russ Rally.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For me the trip will be to Elk City area and back to Darby. The dates look good. I will probably try to take a week off and ride the some Challis and Yankee Fork single trails also. If family or friends come i can bring an atv or SXS for support. Some day i want to make an entire loop from Seafoam Mine road up to Loon Creek to Challis to Painted Rock State Park across Magruder to Elk City then south across the river to McCall over to Yellow Pine down to Deadwood Reservoir back to Seafoam. ( a retired mans trip or 10 days)

·
Registered
13,348 Posts
For me the trip will be to Elk City area and back to Darby. The dates look good. I will probably try to take a week off and ride the some Challis and Yankee Fork single trails also. If family or friends come i can bring an atv or SXS for support. Some day i want to make an entire loop from Seafoam Mine road up to Loon Creek to Challis to Painted Rock State Park across Magruder to Elk City then south across the river to McCall over to Yellow Pine down to Deadwood Reservoir back to Seafoam. ( a retired mans trip or 10 days)
I've been on all of that except the Painted Rock State Park, Panther Creek area. This would be a great great trip. I'll be looking for your retirement ride post in a few years

·
Registered
88 Posts
I pulled my teardrop trailer across the corridor to Darby a few years back. Only about six miles approaching Sabe mountain from West are really rough. The trees have burnt off on the really narrow part so you can see a long ways and tell if others are coming from the opposite direction. Mentioned this to a guy I work with. Now it sounds like one of our work crews is planning on covering the corridor on ATVs this summer. Would be fun to cross the corridor East to West then head North and travel the Lolo motorway West to East. Or backward if you are coming from the West.

·
Registered
552 Posts
That looks like an excellent place to ride. Elk City is only 4-5 hours from my house. If the group is riding from MT to Idaho and back, then maybe I would meet up with you in ID and ride back to MT with you and then come back to Elk City on my own? I could plan on having supplies with me at the meeting place (gas, water, food, ect) if that would be needed for the group coming from MT.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts