TW200 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a universal type valve spring compressor that I have used for a number of years. While it is functional, it is kind of clumsy and difficult to get adjusted and positioned (just ask Fred!).

IMG_2281.JPG

When I saw that Admiral had made one from an old C-clamp, I just had to make one myself. In this thread you can see Admiral's and also my initial unsuccessful attempt at using a Harbor Freight clamp.

http://tw200forum.com/forum/technical-help/19075-head-cylinder-repair-notes-2.html

Here is Admiral's.

I was able to find a 4" Husky brand C-clamp at Home Depot with a 3" deep throat that looked like it would work. Using a bench grinder, angle grinder, various hand files and a wire wheel I re-shaped the fixed end of the clamp as shown below. I did not have as much material to work with as Admiral's clamp, so mine turned out a little daintier than his.

IMG_2279.JPG

Here it is positioned on a TW head.

IMG_2268.JPG

Here is a close-up of it in position. Not a lot of extra room, but enough.

IMG_2261.JPG

(p.s. thanks to Admiral for the inspiration and luckily, no hammers were harmed in this project)

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
This is a cool thread thanks.

·
Registered
19,557 Posts
Admiral, rusty or not you did pioneer a superior design.
When TW-Brian loaned me his spring compressor I probably paid more in the return shipping fees than the cost of a donor C-clamp. Then I likely spent just as much time adjusting Brian's compressor as I would have spent grinding the C-clamp. MissingLinkMasterA.jpg

·
Registered
7,051 Posts
The C-clamp versions are better, cheaper, easier to use than the POS dedicated tool I wasted my money on! Next time I go to HF I will be also getting a C-clamp. Tony

P9100030.JPG

1 - 7 of 7 Posts