TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I know there are many posts about this but figured a fresh take on it would be nice.

There are so many modifications to be done.

What mods do you think should be done first and why.

So far I have just adjusted my pilot screw and installed a 130 main jet.

I am now going to want to shim the needle but will need to do more research before I know what I am doing.

What have you done to yours?

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
get a different bike?

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
None of the mods are really going to make it "faster", it will run better when properly jetted but not much faster.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Awwww, come on guys, the OP doesn't sound like they're trying to race their TW, I admit, a leeeeetle more top end would be convenient... I ride some pretty busy roads to get places.

From what I've read, it seems you can bring your RPM's down by losing some bottom end (which I'm unwilling to do) with a sprocket change.

Maybe Weight Watcher's if you're tubby... ??

Those are the easiest and most straight forward answers I have, wish I had a better answer for ya! Happy new year!

·
Registered
323 Posts
All I have done is slow mine down. :)

Added a cyclerack (added weight). Added brushguards (more weight). Added an Actionpacker (even more weight, less aerodynamic and allows me to carry even more weight as an added bonus!). Added panniers (even less aerodynamic, and can carry extra bonus weight!).

Ok, I'll stop there, but you get the idea. If you want to go faster, cut as much weight as possible (and as CoverMe92 suggested, sometimes the easiest weight to lose is on yourself). Stay aerodynamic - tucking as low as you can, and don't add unnecessary weight/drag to the bike.

On the mechanical side, I remember some were experimenting with different cams that provided a performance increase, ( Web Cam Inc. - Performance and Racing Camshafts ). ~$300 for the new cam, and of course headwork (More $$$) for the best performance. All depends on how much you're willing to spend for minimal (IMO) gains.

If the question is speed, the answer is probably a different bike. Nothing wrong with working to improve what you have though.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Hey guys I know there are many posts about this but figured a fresh take on it would be nice.

There are so many modifications to be done.
Just mod the things that fit your purposes.

What mods do you think should be done first and why.
Necessity is the father of invention. Do whatever mods that support your needs first.

So far I have just adjusted my pilot screw and installed a 130 main jet.
That was the mod that I would have suggested you do first but you already are.

I am now going to want to shim the needle but will need to do more research before I know what I am doing.
I use a 130 jet on my '08 and shimmed 2 washers. It runs good....not fast, just responsive.

What have you done to yours?
Taller bars, bigger footpegs, Cyclerack on one, grips, hand/lever guards, better front tire,....and on.... and on.....
I tried to answer your questions in blue above.

It's not how fast you get there.....it's the journey :D

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lol..

Those mods however insignificant they may be do increase performance. I think most people would say that a bike that accelerates at a faster rate than a stock bike would make it a "faster" bike. Or you could post more smart ass comments :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think the TWs are sexy ass bikes, but I suppose it's wrong of me to want to increase the performance of my bike.

Anyways. I am looking to shim the needle now. Anyone ever bought the needle shim kit from procycle?

·
Registered
20,479 Posts
I respect your desire for more performance. I reduced weight and aero drag by replacing stock turnsignals w/ compact home-modefied LED units, flush units are available. Lost weight and drag by removing buddy footpegs. I may not be any quicker of faster but sure looks alittle sleeker when I look at bike trailside. Exhuast systems can add a bit of power but are expensive and loud for the small gain. Sounds like you have already optimized crisp response which is about as good as it gets.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I am not one to judge but who bought there 200cc 2 valve tw thinking high performance? I understand the mods to make it run a little better but I don't think engine mods to make more hp are very cost effective, am I wrong? Now that being said if you like a challenge and just want to see if you can make the tw more powerful and money is no object go for it. But being a mechanic for a long time I know high performance come with a price, both in money and long term reliability. I am like a lot of tw owners I have a bigger cc bike for the days I feel like going fast...tho I have not rode my 500 or my 250s at all after I got my tw. I like the bullet prof reliability of my stock tw and wont be doing any engine mods as mine runs perfect as is.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Get a bigger front sprocket. I got one with 2 extra teeth and got an extra 7 mph at relative rpms. Cruz at 60. Still climbs the steep trails fine. Highly recommended.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nah response isn't crisp yet. I am at sea level and cold. The bike needs a bit more fuel flow. But nothing I can't solve. Thanks for being constructive and responding in a respectful and intelligent manner rather than criticize. :)

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
The only way I have found to make it much faster is to be going down hill. You have to remember that top end performance is limited by both gearing at the sprockets as well as the transmission itself. A 6th gear would solve most issues if you can figure a way to get one in there but then the engine has it's own limits so doing one of the jug mods to bring it up in HP might help.

All in all I don't think a TW doing 70 MPH would be a very stable platform any way. The brakes are less than adequate weather disc or not. The fat tires create drag and weigh much more than standard tires on bikes of this engine size. I would bet you could get a few more MPH just by going to a skinny rear tire but that defeats the TWs sure footedness. I have had plenty of bikes that were smaller but could easily go faster but they could not do what the TW will do.

If Yamaha would drop a 350 CC engine with a 6 speed tranny in a redesigned TW lots of guys would be on them but the trust TW 200 would still have plenty of glory. Buy another bike might sound a bit snarky but it does answer your original question. They are what they are and that's all that they are!

GaryL

·
Registered
925 Posts
Personally, I am looking into the "lose 20 pounds" option. I like my bikes and antique cars as stock as possible. However, I love reading The Crazy German's posts about building a new-age, faster, TW. But, I'll never do it. You can though.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Nah response isn't crisp yet. I am at sea level and cold. The bike needs a bit more fuel flow. But nothing I can't solve. Thanks for being constructive and responding in a respectful and intelligent manner rather than criticize. :)
This is a good forum for the kind of feedback you are referring to. I like it here for that reason.

·
Registered
196 Posts
It's not how fast you get there.....it's the journey :D
Haha, I like that
TW always brings a smile to my face, it's for the fun not the speed
And the simplicity of being air cooled, 4 stroke & one of the easiest bikes i've had to clean esp with the simple drum brakes

·
Registered
188 Posts
I took the spark arrestor out of my stock muffler and seemed to pick up a few mph, maybe just the sound makes it seem faster. Loose the stock front tire and you will enjoy going faster. Handle bar risers were the best mod or the jumbo shield.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ya I have thought about getting risers a few times and come very close.

Let's face it, TWs are bogged down right out of the box, well at least mine was. Even pulling the plug off my pilot screw and adjusting and installing a 130 main jet has made a huge difference in my bike.

Regarding the spark arrestor, how much louder did it make the bike? It's funny at first I was all about aftermarket exhaust and spent so much time researching. I still may get aftermarket exhaust, but not until the stock exhaust is all used up. I think that e stock exhaust looks nice on the TW.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts