TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Make your TWs faster

33K views 74 replies 41 participants last post by  JustPassinThru 
#1 ·
Hey guys I know there are many posts about this but figured a fresh take on it would be nice.

There are so many modifications to be done.

What mods do you think should be done first and why.

So far I have just adjusted my pilot screw and installed a 130 main jet.

I am now going to want to shim the needle but will need to do more research before I know what I am doing.

What have you done to yours?

#2 ·
get a different bike?

#5 ·
Awwww, come on guys, the OP doesn't sound like they're trying to race their TW, I admit, a leeeeetle more top end would be convenient... I ride some pretty busy roads to get places.

From what I've read, it seems you can bring your RPM's down by losing some bottom end (which I'm unwilling to do) with a sprocket change.

Maybe Weight Watcher's if you're tubby... ??

Those are the easiest and most straight forward answers I have, wish I had a better answer for ya! Happy new year!

#7 ·
All I have done is slow mine down. :)

Added a cyclerack (added weight). Added brushguards (more weight). Added an Actionpacker (even more weight, less aerodynamic and allows me to carry even more weight as an added bonus!). Added panniers (even less aerodynamic, and can carry extra bonus weight!).

Ok, I'll stop there, but you get the idea. If you want to go faster, cut as much weight as possible (and as CoverMe92 suggested, sometimes the easiest weight to lose is on yourself). Stay aerodynamic - tucking as low as you can, and don't add unnecessary weight/drag to the bike.

On the mechanical side, I remember some were experimenting with different cams that provided a performance increase, ( Web Cam Inc. - Performance and Racing Camshafts ). ~$300 for the new cam, and of course headwork (More $$$) for the best performance. All depends on how much you're willing to spend for minimal (IMO) gains.

If the question is speed, the answer is probably a different bike. Nothing wrong with working to improve what you have though.

#8 · (Edited)
Hey guys I know there are many posts about this but figured a fresh take on it would be nice.

There are so many modifications to be done.
Just mod the things that fit your purposes.

What mods do you think should be done first and why.
Necessity is the father of invention. Do whatever mods that support your needs first.

So far I have just adjusted my pilot screw and installed a 130 main jet.
That was the mod that I would have suggested you do first but you already are.

I am now going to want to shim the needle but will need to do more research before I know what I am doing.
I use a 130 jet on my '08 and shimmed 2 washers. It runs good....not fast, just responsive.

Taller bars, bigger footpegs, Cyclerack on one, grips, hand/lever guards, better front tire,....and on.... and on.....
I tried to answer your questions in blue above.

It's not how fast you get there.....it's the journey :D

#11 ·
I respect your desire for more performance. I reduced weight and aero drag by replacing stock turnsignals w/ compact home-modefied LED units, flush units are available. Lost weight and drag by removing buddy footpegs. I may not be any quicker of faster but sure looks alittle sleeker when I look at bike trailside. Exhuast systems can add a bit of power but are expensive and loud for the small gain. Sounds like you have already optimized crisp response which is about as good as it gets.

Reactions: whitefire
#12 ·
I am not one to judge but who bought there 200cc 2 valve tw thinking high performance? I understand the mods to make it run a little better but I don't think engine mods to make more hp are very cost effective, am I wrong? Now that being said if you like a challenge and just want to see if you can make the tw more powerful and money is no object go for it. But being a mechanic for a long time I know high performance come with a price, both in money and long term reliability. I am like a lot of tw owners I have a bigger cc bike for the days I feel like going fast...tho I have not rode my 500 or my 250s at all after I got my tw. I like the bullet prof reliability of my stock tw and wont be doing any engine mods as mine runs perfect as is.

#15 ·
The only way I have found to make it much faster is to be going down hill. You have to remember that top end performance is limited by both gearing at the sprockets as well as the transmission itself. A 6th gear would solve most issues if you can figure a way to get one in there but then the engine has it's own limits so doing one of the jug mods to bring it up in HP might help.

All in all I don't think a TW doing 70 MPH would be a very stable platform any way. The brakes are less than adequate weather disc or not. The fat tires create drag and weigh much more than standard tires on bikes of this engine size. I would bet you could get a few more MPH just by going to a skinny rear tire but that defeats the TWs sure footedness. I have had plenty of bikes that were smaller but could easily go faster but they could not do what the TW will do.

If Yamaha would drop a 350 CC engine with a 6 speed tranny in a redesigned TW lots of guys would be on them but the trust TW 200 would still have plenty of glory. Buy another bike might sound a bit snarky but it does answer your original question. They are what they are and that's all that they are!

GaryL

#21 ·
Buy another bike might sound a bit snarky but it does answer your original question. They are what they are and that's all that they are!

GaryL
Well if you really read my original post, you would see that my question was, "what have you done to your TW?" Which in my opinion doesn't warrant the snarky "get a new bike" response. It was a serious post and question :)

#20 ·
Ya I have thought about getting risers a few times and come very close.

Let's face it, TWs are bogged down right out of the box, well at least mine was. Even pulling the plug off my pilot screw and adjusting and installing a 130 main jet has made a huge difference in my bike.

Regarding the spark arrestor, how much louder did it make the bike? It's funny at first I was all about aftermarket exhaust and spent so much time researching. I still may get aftermarket exhaust, but not until the stock exhaust is all used up. I think that e stock exhaust looks nice on the TW.

#23 ·
I'm working o:eek:nthego:ut the details for a small shot of Nitrous. I'm going with direct jet injection into the manifold. I've also started working on a custom skid plate to catch everything as it exits the underside of the bike. :)

:D
You can find another good used TW engine on ebay when you are done.:D
ha ha only kidding.

This sounds interesting actually.:eek:nthego::eek:nthego::eek:nthego:

#27 ·
Nice. DG was the exhaust I had decided I was going to install. It looks great and I have heard it sounds sick :p

Hey tirebiter, i understand where you are coming from. I have no ill feelings towards anyone :)

Was merely stating that that wasn't really an answer to my question. It's all good

Would you recommend I get washers from the hardware store? Or I was thinking of buying the needle shim kit from procycle. Was thinking it might be good to get a backup needle.

#30 ·
Would you recommend I get washers from the hardware store? Or I was thinking of buying the needle shim kit from procycle. Was thinking it might be good to get a backup needle.
I didn't buy the Procycle kit but they have excellent products and customer service especially since MrBracket, a member here, works there and set up the TW page. Some people go to a hobby store and get a few washers. I took my needle assembly to the local Yamaha shop and one of the mechanics got into his toolbox and gave me some .010" thick washers that fit my parts. I didn't write down the I.D. and O.D. but someone a while back said these washers on Amazon fit. I'm running a 130 mainjet and two shims at 900 ft above sea level on my '08 and a 120 main jet with 1 shim on my '95. I still need to fiddle with the '95. It seems to be a little lean on the top end.

Your needs are probably going to be different than mine but if you follow the carb tuning procedures in the Tech section you'll be able to dial it in.

#28 ·
I tried a smaller, 45t, rear sprocket. I picked up a few mph but the engine was still screaming (which is something that doesn't bother me). If you want to try it PM me your address and I will send it to you. If your rear axle is set forward you'll probably be able to use it without shortening your chain. If not expect to have to remove a link or two.

Presently I use a 55t rear sprocket and it meets all my needs. It is good to about 60 mph. Tony

#29 ·
The way I see it, if the guys here are busting your chops in a friendly and respectful manner and poking some fun your way then you are good.

There seems to be three or four different classes of T Dubbers here. You can list them as the "Stockers" who just love their TWs as they came, the "Maintain and modify with add ons" crew who doll them up and accessorize, the "Outer Limits" crew who totally Rat their rides and then there are the "Motor Heads" who get completely down and dirty doing mods to the internal workings of the engine to maximize performance. We could also add a fifth group who make their TWs into serious pack mules for extended adventures. After you are here a while you will decide which group best fits your style of ride and you will be in those threads that interest you.

We all have our own opinions that we freely express but if we all reserved those opinions and did not respond it could get rather boring around here. I get a little from all of these sub groups and sometimes I think to myself "That is a very cool upgrade" while other times I wonder "Why Bother". I need my bike to do some back woods, secondary road work getting me to some nice trails leading me to those out of the way fishing holes. It has to carry my gear and my Brittany in a box on the rear rack. 55 MPH is more than enough but low end solid performance on the trails is a big plus. I am perfectly happy having guys blow right by me in the woods or on the roads. My race is all about getting to the finish line and then back home in one piece and with no time clock. In the time I have been here I think I have only seen one or two new members go over an imaginary line and PO most of us. One guys second post was "I don't need any of the BS, just answer my questions". I think he rode off into the sunset a while back.;)

GaryL

#31 ·
i'll be interested to see what you can squeeze out of it...take a before and after gps verified run as you progress through your mods for us...these guys have hit on just about everything you can do...gearing, jug boring, cams, weight reduction (the bike and you), tires, aerodynamics...after all this i wonder how much money would be spent and how much faster it will be...i don't think it will be too much...will it be worth it?...that's for you to decide since it's your money...after that you're looking at an engine swap or a new bike...good luck!

#33 ·
alex,

it was me that started with the snarky, tongue-in-cheek reply. i'm sorry for that.

your question was straight forward and i believe me response was the same.

gary delineated four types of t-dub users, i'd agree with him completely. check out all the different threads on here that cover all four types of users and the various mods they have done. i'd fall in the "Maintain and modify with add ons" camp. you can click the link below to see what i've done to my bike to make it more user friendly for me. there are another dozen bikes on there with their different styles and preferences. YMMV.

the famous john muir, not the international conservationist, but the vw mechanic, wrote (and i paraphrase) "i got my suped up bug up to 120 and it was never as stable as my porsche was at 150...." if you want to go fast, the t-dub isn't the right bike, as the name implies it's 200cc.

i hope you enjoy your bike as much as i've enjoyed mine, and maybe we'll get to ride together at one of the west coast rides someday.

rubber side down and ride on,
joe band