TW200 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still sorting through the various aspects of this tw200 I bought (cheap), and the previous owner had put put some weird jury rigged headlights on. As I was sorting through how to put it back to a more factory look and going through the box of takeoff parts I discovered the probable reason he did what he did. The whole front headlight mount/bracket assembly has been mangled in a wreck at some point. While technically I might be able to bend it back into shape, I don't have an original to compare it to. So I'm thinking this might be an opportunity to mount a round headlight to the forks and abandon the original light setup entirely.

But I don't really know motorcycles that well. would something like this work Motorcycle Bike 7'' LED Headlight Turn Signal Indicator Light With Mount Bracket | eBay or this Universal Motorcycle Headlight LED Distance Light & Lower Beam+41mm Fork Holder | eBay

Or is there a much better option?

(ps: I know the instrument cluster is broken, but I know how to fix that.)

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my plan is to do better. I know those lights are garbage. I'm trying to restore it to some degree. I think I'm going to go with the original housing and drop in an H4 led bulb. If you have a good housing I'm certainly game to use one that's not.....sketchy.
I'm currently thinking this light https://www.amazon.com/SEALIGHT-Motorcycle-Headlight-Conversion-Approved/dp/B071Z7RHYM/ref=sr_1_6?crid=3FQAJ5OXER7CT&keywords=motorcycle+h4+led+headlight+bulb&qid=1578954168&s=automotive&sprefix=motorcycle+h4,automotive,167&sr=1-6 it should more or less drop into place and work right?

·
Registered
20 Posts
For what it's worth I tried using an led h4 bulb and it didnt work too well. There's a tab on the inside of the headlight housing that didnt allow the led unit to fit into because the cooling fins of the bulb would hit that tab. I dremeled out a little slot in the cooling fins to make it fit because I didn't want to modify the stock housing. That seemed a bit hokey to me so I bought a jns headlight assembly. I ended up taking that out and put the stock housing back in for various reasons but mostly because I just really underestimated how much I liked the stock look of the front end.

·
Super Moderator
4,859 Posts
Also went through that with an H4 LED, only to have it fail the annual fitness test (MOT) - they insisted the beam was way off normal. Ended up with the JNS unit, (black), and will use a different test centre next time

By solving one problem, you create another – at the end of the day it’s all made in China …..

·
Super Moderator
4,859 Posts
It’s a well built unit, does what it says on the tin, but the light is a tad “directional” for my liking. Perhaps slightly over priced for what it is, but you pays yer money and yer takes yer choice

JNS LED Headlight Unit just about sums it up

Its main advantage is that it focuses the beam – but that also works against you, as a “scattered” beam is more visible to others – looks the dogs bollox, works well for the rider – but not so much for others on the road

Like I said – there’s no such thing as a free lunch. You have to decide where your priorities lie, either to see where you are going, or to increase your presence on the road. As most of my riding is in daylight, I’m not sure this is right for me – but if I ever get caught out after dark, the JNS unit is as good as it gets

I ride pretty defensively on the TW, so that counteracts the effects during daylight, though in that posted thread cage drivers tend to shy away, and more than normal. Can’t say “why” they do this without pulling one over and asking “Dude, what went through your mind back there” – but there is a definite effect on other drivers I wasn’t expecting to see

Maybe it’s a case of “Nah, it’s only a bike” vs “Oh crap, what is that thing”

I think the short answer is “I like it” – both for the way the dark version looks, and for the way the JNS units perform

But hey – I’m weird anyway …..

·
Registered
20 Posts
It certainly looks good and the bracket is as heavy duty as humanly possible but I question the strength of the lens and I couldn't get mine to level out high enough. The light itself comes in contact with headlight bracket on the bike. Just my two cents and was curious how others experiences were with it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts