TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, as a few of you know, I sold my Cycle Rack here to a forum member. Then bought this "older" 1st gen. Manracks rack from another forum member (keepin'em in the family). The Cycle Rack was just over kill for the small, light pack I carry. This is "Perfect for me". Exactly what I was looking for, low profile, hugging the fender and can't see it with pack strapped on. Just mounted it today, and starting to get my new goodies on the bike. This rack, bars, grips, o-ring chain, front and rear sprockets, and a bunch of other stuff. It hit 60 today, and the sweet musical sounds of motorcycles filled the air. Seamed like everyone was out riding today, except me. I live on a twisty road, and bikes were buzzing by all day. My back is killin me from 6 hours of tinkering in the shed. Nothin but belly up on the couch for the passed 4 months.

Ya gotta love,
this time of year,
Winter's ending,
and Spring is near,
My back is hurting,
still,
Nothing but smiles,
from ear to ear.

Holy crap, I think I just made that up. I never heard it before? What do ya know. I'm a poet, and I didn't even know it...:p So (all proud of myself), I just read this kinda poem thingy to my wife, you know, see what she thinks about it. Aaand, she just gives me "The Look", like she was ready to slap me upside my head. I said, What? She says, You just LOVE that bike. I said, WHAT. She says, Six-Teen-Years, Not one poem??? Ever!!!!!!
oops, LOL should have never said a thing. I don't think she's makin me dinner tonight...:(

Anyway, The best day I had this year so far.....:D

Here's the rack. I'll post pics with the tank and seat on in a few days.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I kinda feel bad for laughing as hard as I did, but I could just hear it " Six-Teen-Years!" :highly_amused:

·
Registered
145 Posts
I kinda feel bad for laughing as hard as I did, but I could just hear it " Six-Teen-Years!" :highly_amused:

Hahaha my thoughts exactly! Thanks for sharing Werloc, made me laugh!

·
Registered
145 Posts
We gotta ride together this year. Now that I've been down there a few times, I'll be riding in the Pines most every week if I can.
I totally agree, let me know when you come down! I've moved to a new place (with a garage!) that is a few minutes closer to the ranger station. I'm about 15 minutes away now. Might go for a short ride out there tomorrow.

·
Registered
363 Posts
He is a poet, didn't even know it. his feet are Longfellows.

·
Registered
19,196 Posts
Time to write a romantic poem to your little lady, Bob. I somehow can get away with referring to my TW as my mistress but I fear I might be walking a thin line. I tell her that she should be happy that my mid-life crisis does not entail a $70,000 'vette and a toupee. I think I should go by flowers anyways.

The Man-Rack restores some of the sleek lines of TW, looks nice and appropriate for day trips. A lot easier to swing a leg over compared to the Cyclerack I imagine.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
^^^^4 Riders 3 Man Racks and Nick's Little Package Rack....:p

·
Super Moderator
17,625 Posts
Without the downward supports like the Cyclerack, how much can these racks safely hold without breaking something?

·
Registered
291 Posts
I've been studying pictures of these. I'm sure someone who owns one will let me know if I'm wrong, but it looks like they are bolted in the same spot as the Cyclerack. At the rear of the main frame, as sort of a pivot point, then again through the seat bolt holes in front. Doesn't look to be any weight at all on the sub frame. Definitely on my hmmm list.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Yeah, but the low profile, compact size, and maybe 4 lbs max including my pack, it's perfect for me. The front mounts to the frame at the seat bolts. Yeah, not weight bearing, it's a pivot, just like the cycle rack. And yes, the rear mount is just like the cycle rack. You should see it in the pics.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Some observations. First Hoot, it's one Manrack, one Happy Trail rack, one home-built rack, and one "LPR".

The Manrack does bolt to the two bolts at the rear (underneath) of the seat, it also mounts by drilled tabs to the actual seat mounting bolts. The mounting is quite secure. In Big Bend I carried two gallons of gas (say 16 pounds) and probably another 15 pounds of misc. gear and tools. I did this over very rugged trails at speed. Speed enough to have the rear lofting and the suspension bottoming at times. There were no bending issues, in fact there were no issues at all. On the otherhand, Weasel did bend his subframe with the home-made plate rack...that was the reinforcement welding that Nick did last weekend, basically we straightened the subframe on the hydrolic press and Weasel cut some small dimension channel stock which Nick welded on.

At one point I was able to get the maker of the Manrack to come on here and enter a thread where he answered questions (he's actually a member here) I also seem to remember that he posted some pictures of the evolution of the rack for the TW.

In my opinion the Manrack is a solid and sturdy unit. It isn't large, but it holds a substantial load and I have never been able to defeat it. The only reason it wasn't on my bike, and therefore available to mount on Hoot's machine is that I picked up a used set of Happy Trail racks in the classifieds on here. The Happy Trail racks allowed me to use the soft and hard aluminum panniers I already had for my Triumph Scrambler, so it was a nice system addition for me. I actually intend to re-mount the Manrack on my bike once I get a few trips I have planned finished. I like the compact but strong look of the Manrack for general use.

As a final note, the Manrack can be ordered from the manufacturer with a plate pre-drilled for the Rotopax mounting tower.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Further note. At one time, the manufacturer of the Manrack (jungleplant on here) offered a discount (I believe 20%) for forum members. It wasn't a publicized thing. He may still do that, I'm not sure.

·
Registered
19,196 Posts
Good explanation and endorsement Borneo, you have given the rack a thorough field evaluation. We rarely need the full capability of the admittedly wide and tall Cyclerack. In tight terrain I frequently scrape my cyclerack where I had formerly no clearance issues with my original home made unit. However it is hard to beat the Cyclerack's versatility if you want to carry something big like a chainsaw or favorite dog like Gary and Admiral.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Well Fred, I know the Cyclerack is very popular and obviously worthy gear. But like I have said before, I spent way too much time behind a push mower as a kid to ever put one of those on a motorcycle. :D

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I really didn't start this to debate which is the better rack. I was just showing it. That's fine though. We all need to voice opinions, and that helps others with info to make their own decisions on what would be best for them, if needed at all. So, I guess it's a good thing. I just hate to see this turn into argument when it started as a goofball thread.....:D

I'm not sayin, but I'm just sayin.....you guys know what I mean....;)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts