TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
20,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who likes manual or automatic transmissions in their cars and trucks?
I strongly prefer a manual, especially today because I am dealing with probable fried clutch packs in a 4L60E slush box from my van.
So I am biased today; but in the past other automatics have left me stranded in the back country. A brand new Bronco once lost a vacuum diaphragm and sucked all the ATF through the engine creating a glorious blue smoke cloud and a 15 mile hike out. A manual often can be push started when an auto would need a tow truck for dead battery, bad wiring connections, corrosion, solenoid, starter problems, etc.
I have driven manuals in heavy stop and go traffic but not consistently for day in day out commuting so I can understand some wanting autos.
So I was just curious if TW owners are statistically different from average driver. Manufacturers will tell us that only one in eight want a manual but I find this hard to believe. If you want a manual in an american pick-up I think only choice in 2014 was a Dodge diesel.
I miss the old granny gear low of older pick-ups.

·
Registered
20,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
We as a society are getting very lazy. A Swedish friend was once surprised that we Americans were so lazy that we eat pre-sliced cheese. I assured her that I could certainly cut the cheese:D. Anyways I like shifting gears. I think manuals keep us involved with the driving experience, force us to pay attention and thus make us better, safer drivers.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Depends on the intended purpose. Achieva, bought for price of scrap, came with an auto. Everything else has a manual, including the 601, which has a ground adjustable variable pitch prop.

·
Registered
5,958 Posts
I have continuously owned at least one manual transmission car/truck ever since I started driving. One of my favorites was an old GMC pickup with a three-on-the-tree shifter. I also made sure that all my kids learned how to drive using a manual transmission.

One of the reasons that I enjoy motorcycles is the fact that you are so involved while riding one. You need to use both hands, both feet, both eyes and both ears. If you aren't paying attention, you crash!

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Prefer manual. Got it in the VW New Beetle, but had to settle for automatic in the RV.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
3 months ago i picked up a "new" 2000 4runner. while it was the last year for a manual 5spd i couldn't find one... looking as far and wide as san diego to portland. i was even willing to pay a couple grand more just to find a stick :(

on a side note: when my wife first got here from south america, the first time she tried to drive she got confused looking for the clutch; she had never seen, nor even heard of an automatic. ha!

·
Registered
810 Posts
I dunno, sure is easier to text with an automatic transmission. WHen I was young I swore I'd
never own an automatic but in these days of commuter stop and go and arthritis in my life , when forced
to drive, I find I tend opt for the Mercedes with auto over the Tiburon with 5 speed, though the "shark" is much
more thrilling to drive. Mostly I ride anyway where I have yet to try an automatic that gave me
the control I prefer on two wheels.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I learned to drive on 50 chevy (automatics weren't an option then). I restored it and drove it for 30 years as my business truck. Then I sold it and bought a 93 toyota 4wd stick. I loved that it had a heater, wipers that worked, and I didn't have to lay under it and fix something every week. When I retired I sold it and bought a Prius. Talk about out of touch with the road, but there's a wonderful freedom in all the cushy creature comforts, and if something breaks (hasn't yet) or it needs scheduled maintenance then I take it to the service center, get a loaner and write a check. I still have a 48 chevy ton and a half dump with grany gear and plenty of room underneath to lay. It's in the shop right now waiting for me to find a vacuum leak. I can't haul dirt in my prius, but I sure do love the mindless automatic everything.

·
Registered
20,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
An interesting story is that President Ronald Reagan once had a medical issue while cutting wood and brush on his ranch. He and his Secret Service team were out in the bush with only the ranch jeep. Amazingly none of the detail could drive Reagan's manual three speed CJ5 to ferry Reagan to medical assistance. Whether true or urban myth I do not know, sounds almost unbelievable.
Interesting also that we motorcyclists are non-mainstream in that the above poll shows a preference for manuals. This is about what I expected, thanks for responses. We are not normal.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I have always had manual. I'd like a truck with automatic for hauling a horse over extremely rough roads where creeping is needed in several spots with more clutch slipping than is good for the clutch. The CV on my Rokon is good for creeping over ridiculous stuff. Otherwise I'm a manual guy all the way. Dirt bikes included.

·
Registered
7,107 Posts
I learned to drive in a 1928 ford model a truck .............................. All my life I've preferred manual shift, but these last few years I've come to learn the comfort of an automatic shift.........................
DITTO!

When I was about 10 or 11 I learned to drive a '29 Model A pick up. The guy that taught me was about 13 or 14. It was his truck. He lived next to a big farm and he was allowed to drive it on farm property. Anyway, the Model A had a syncro-LESS transmission and one needed to learn the art of "double clutching" to survive. I have always maintained that if you don't know how to double clutch, in the purest sense, you don't really know how to use a manual transmission.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
DITTO!

When I was about 10 or 11 I learned to drive a '29 Model A pick up. The guy that taught me was about 13 or 14. It was his truck. He lived next to a big farm and he was allowed to drive it on farm property. Anyway, the Model A had a syncro-LESS transmission and one needed to learn the art of "double clutching" to survive. I have always maintained that if you don't know how to double clutch, in the purest sense, you don't really know how to use a manual transmission.
I drive a non-synchro transmission every day. What is this "double-clutch" you type about? The only time I use the clutch is when coming to a complete stop. I float every shift from 1st to 10th and back, sometimes with the engine brake engaged just to blow trainees' minds. Skipping gears floating with the engine brake engaged in traffic REALLY blows the old school truckers' minds. It's all in being able to mentally calculate equivalent ratios using multiples. No biggy unless you're a leftist who thinks Obama is so handsome you can't think properly in his presence.

·
Registered
7,107 Posts
Do you mean shifting into neutral and then matching gear speeds before shifting into a gear? We used to call that the very unimaginative name of "shifting without the clutch". I am sure a much more difficult task in a big rig but in principle I've done on early crash boxes.

And lets stay topic, OK?

·
Registered
20,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wherever this topic wanders to , whether it be rev matching, double clutching, old trucks from our past, whatever , it is interesting that we all show pride/ pleasire at mastering a driving skill that is rapidly dissappearing from the modern driving experience.
Whether it be pride, pleasure, or challenge the manual shifting process keeps us more involved with piloting potentially deadly vehicles down the road. I see so many modern drivers texting, cell calling and otherwise distracted in our ever increasingly social media mobiles and it scares me how uninvolved they are in safe driving. Doubly scary if you are on a motorcycle next to them.
Auto manufactures responding to consumer pressure for a lazy driving experience are moving more towards autonomous vehicles and I am not sure this is progress. Qwerty with his driving style and responsibility is really aware of his surroundings, looking ahead, planning next moves including gear changes. This makes for a safer driver no automatic system can better. Heaven help us when autonomous roadways become common in congested urban areas. They will have to pry my gearshift from my hands screaming and kicking!

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Manual all the way! Way more fun, so much more control, and I say generally speaking a manual trans will last longer. 4L60E (*snorts derisively*), ugh...LOL jk, sort of ;D . Most gearbox fun you can have is with a classic Jeep Cherokee manual trans with 5.88 gearing, front and rear diff lockers, and an Atlas 4 speed transfer case. That gives you lots of fun combos. 1st gear and highest reduction in t-case =insane granny gear crawling! As in like, get out and walk beside it as it idles up a hill!!!

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Depends on the intended purpose...
Agreed. For a hard core modern tow vehicle that needs to haul 30k pounds, (Ram 3500 HD...lol), I'll take that auto! For mostly anything else I'll stick with the stick.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts